PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

If things get tougher?

Comments

• jennyjelly
    jennyjelly Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    We've just started making our own wine again ager a gap of about 15 yrs when looking after children left us no time. As we drink at least a bottle a night this will give us a huge saving. Even buying 3 for £10 in Asda we are spending aroung £100 a month, and I reckon the same amount of HM will cost us about £20.

I make it from ordinary carton fruit juices and it's fab (not to mention stronger that the stuff int eh shops!)

Anybody wants to have a go I'll post our cheap and easy recipe.
    Oh dear, here we go again.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It seems that this thread was started over two years ago and we are still tightening our belts !! where will it all end eh ? I have noticed how empty the shops are becoming and I think everyone is thinking more about what they eat and buy and are being a lot more 'prudent' as Gordy would say. I am still working my way through my freezer and cupboards .I had a bit of luck yesterday I bought some tickets at my DD school fair and for a pound won
    a tin of tomatoes, handy for spag bol
    a tin of Spaghetti hoops, useful to go on toast for lunch during the week
    a tin of Heinz golden sponge pudding, a nice pudding for mid-week with custard
    A Colemans Beef Bourginon sauce mix.I have some stewing steak in the freezer to go with that
    and a packet of 16 lollies on sticks ,which I shall donate to my smaller grandchildren
    So I did well for my quid.
  • got rid of sky, so i was thinking of tv lience....
    and i dont need one if,
    i watch tv on the comuter not live.... if its live then i have to have one, but utube or other programs recorded on internet are free... so i have one sky plus box, one freeview recorder to sell and no tv licence !! woohoo.
    " I'm just a simple janitor, who can control people with my mind"
  • also i sold my tumble dryer and bought a good dehumidifier and hanging rail, pop clother straight from machine onto plastic hangers and dry all year round, its saved me loads, because a dehumidifier is much cheaper to run
    and they dont need ironing!!
    " I'm just a simple janitor, who can control people with my mind"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ceridwen you asked how we got the energy bill down to less than £100 this quarter and I`ll try and sum up:

energy saving light bulbs including GU 10 replaced by 3 watt bulbs in the en suite, bathroom and a couple of other places. They are too dark in the kitchen so have put biobulbs in a standard uplighter and a couple of neat table lamps. A biobulb in the hall in a small table lamp standing on a rad cover. The biobulbs give a bright white light. We have had energy saving bulbs for years

Always used the oven to its max when on. Never for one thing. Casseroles cooked for 2 days so hardly any energy next day. Bread cooked and sliced and frozen

Only shower

Nothing on standby for last few years

Turning pc, laptop and router off when not used. (new last quarter)

30 degree washing ( new last quarter)

Airer dry only

more time spent in sunny kitchen on a cold day. I moved laptop in there when I was using it. So less central heating

I can see for myself that the biggest changes have been in doing 30 degree washes and turning the pc etc right off. I am doing more since I had the last bill ie the ecocamel shower head which is really good. I can see that the amount of water (and consequently energy) is a lot less but it feels like a very good strong shower and I have spent some of my savings on a panasonic breadmaker and a remoska. Both about 500 watts compared to an oven at 4000w

I feel very good about the energy saving because it has made no difference to our being comfortable and I don`t see the point in throwing money away
  • katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    I've been following this thread for a while too, and I've posted before, but thing continue to get tougher and tougher.....

We've tried to sell our house, to release the capital and downsize (pricewise) but no joy as far as I can tell the housing market has ground to a complete and utter halt. My son needs to start 6th form in September, but we've decided we have to just give up on the sale and stay put.....For another two years until he finishes his A levels. As we borrowed money to finish the house for a quick sale (LOL) we need some serious, blackbelt measures now. Especially as my Daughter has finished school, and tax credits, and CB for her have stopped!

We are pretty frugal usually...but these are our 'extra' measures

My OH has given up his workshop, as he's not had a proper job using it for two years... he'll be out by September and working from home (should save 1/3 on his overheads) As the fuel to get there has now gone up to £58 a week...It HAD to be done! Business is pretty slow generally for him, but what he call's "other people's DIY" still seems to be coming in - you don't need a workshop for that.

I've turned the AGA - which is now costing £50- 60 a month to run - OFF for the summer - I've set up a kitchen camp in the garden, consisting of a Gas Barbeque, with a ring burner, and my twin ring camping stove....we have a couple of bottles of gas knocking about...but even when they are replaced it think it will still be cheaper than running the AGA. I've rigged up a tarpaulin cover, so I can still use it when it rains...

My son has been asked to pay for Broadband and tv license out of his EMA and part time earnings...otherwise both would have to go (He's the one who can't cope without the internet) He's also been tasked with finding the best value provider.

When my Daughter goes off to uni in September, I'm going to see if I can get EFL student/s in her room. Several people are advertising for Homestay families locally. If I put twin beds in instead of her double, I should be able to get two friends sharing, and earn more. We've has enough school exchange students over the years (all my kids do well at languages) so we know what we are letting ourselves in for.

And to make up for NOT being able to move this year...I'm going to bring forward my plans for chickens, and tuck just a few in the garden.

Regards

Kate
  • kate. That's what I call belt tightening, cooking in the garden.Coudn't you get a calor gas cooker and do it in the kitchen. Maybe someone would freecycle you one.
    Every time I think I have it all under control somthing happens.
    I have just been paid by Onepoll Finally got to £40 and then went out and saw someone (scumbag) had stolen my number plates. So that has cost me £31 plus the inconvenience of having to go and get some more not to mention the waste of petrol. 14 mile round trip in my car that only does 25 to the gallon.
    I have had to give up my favourite butter and coffee and but cheaper versions.
    We grow some veg, but only a smallish garden. The runner beans have not germinated this year. And anyway the neighbours b#####y cats have dug them up. And the slugs have had more strawberries than me. I think I will transplant them to hanging baskets. Moan over
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We've been away quite a lot for the past month or so and I've done two weekly shops in the time I've been back. The first one was about 50% more expensive than what it used to be - I was miffed and though it was a bit higher because we were doing a bit of a restock after having been away. Went to Tescos today for a normal shop and it's still coming in at around 50% more:mad:

Trouble is, I'm wondering where to cut back now?? As we're vegetarian, we spend quite a bit on fresh fruit and veg so we can't really cut down much on this - we have a market but it's not that conveinent for me to get to and the produce doesn't seem to last as long either.We meal plan and bring packed lunches every day - I'm just feeling that if we ate ready meals and frozen pizzas we'd be saving money:mad:
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    katieowl wrote: »
    I've set up a kitchen camp in the garden, consisting of a Gas Barbeque, with a ring burner, and my twin ring camping stove....we have a couple of bottles of gas knocking about...but even when they are replaced it think it will still be cheaper than running the AGA. I've rigged up a tarpaulin cover, so I can still use it when it rains...

Here in Spain this type of outside kitchen and BBQ area is very common and is called the house's Andalucian kitchen
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    jennyjelly wrote: »
    We've just started making our own wine again ager a gap of about 15 yrs when looking after children left us no time. As we drink at least a bottle a night this will give us a huge saving. Even buying 3 for £10 in Asda we are spending aroung £100 a month, and I reckon the same amount of HM will cost us about £20.

I make it from ordinary carton fruit juices and it's fab (not to mention stronger that the stuff int eh shops!)

Anybody wants to have a go I'll post our cheap and easy recipe.

Yes please - red preferred!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport