PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• OrkneyStar wrote: »
    I am not a fan of charts, prefer written directions, although have used the odd chart in the past.
    Is it just me or does anyone else, when faced with a pattern and say decreases/increase, write out all the row numbers and put little +/+ next to them for increase at each end, or -/- for decrease ? I was just doing a thumb increase and I wrote row number, how many stitches should be in thumb bit and how many should be in total bit......it worked though! I do have row counters but don't really use them ;).

I have symbols for things so I write out the rows first. Any increase rows have a circle around the number and any decreases a square.

If I need to decrease or increase more than one stich I also write a number along side too. So if I was on row 4 and it had a square around it and a small number 2 written above I know I need to decrease 2 stitches on row 4.
  • PepPop
    PepPop Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NannyJanny I think I'll need to try your system - I do check marks on a bit of paper - which I usually end up losing :rotfl:
  • NannyJanny
    NannyJanny Posts: 173 Forumite
    Glad it's not only me. I like the way It confirms I've read the pattern right if I end up with the right number of stitches.

NJ
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Very stupid basic question.

If a pattern says

finishing on a P row. Then begin ROW 1 of pattern

Does that mean knit the P row or start ROW1 of pattern on the P row?

Stupid I know. I knit the P row then began the pattern, but it seems to be on the wrong side of the work!
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • NannyJanny
    edited 9 March 2011 at 10:24PM
    Cuddles,

I would say you purl your purl row and then start the pattern on the next row.

Presume you have been doing stocking stitch up to now?

Difficult to say without seeing a picture of the pattern you're doing, but that's how I would read it.

NJ
  • cuddles123
    cuddles123 Posts: 1,381 Forumite
    Thanks NJ - must be me as I'm stupidly using self patterning yarn so can't see the design properly. Think I'll take it back and just do stocking stitch.
    :oJack of all trades ... Master of none :o
  • NannyJanny
    Morning all,

Thought I would share this pattern, as it dawned on me last night how useful it's been in my sock learning.

Dragon Yarns website. Search under Regia 4ply. Free sock pattern pdf to download. Really useful chart at the top for different sizes. Clear pictures. I never would have got there without it.

NJ/RoK
  • PepPop
    PepPop Posts: 1,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NannyJanny Thanks for that I've saved it - I've wanted to start knitting socks for a while :beer:
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A friend is looking to buy wool in largish amounts - any suggestions. I used to go to several places in the Leeds/Bradford area, but can't remember the names, or if in fact they still exist. One was a place called Worth Knitting - really cheap place anyone remember it?
  • furndire wrote: »
    A friend is looking to buy wool in largish amounts - any suggestions. I used to go to several places in the Leeds/Bradford area, but can't remember the names, or if in fact they still exist. One was a place called Worth Knitting - really cheap place anyone remember it?

I would recommend this website - only £2.50 delivery for any size order. http://www.cpu-enterprises.com/
    Jan GC £96.95/£120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC £113.19/£120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC £54.22/£150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills