Add your feedback on energy supplier Green Star Energy

Comments

• Avoid Green Star. I have been with them 2 years. I have tried SO MANY TIMES to give them electric readings, every time they are rejected.

I emailed them a pretty hefty email about it in February, I received a reply last week! They simply said they've updated my account with the last readings I gave in Feb. Checked the account.... guess what....no update!

I am going to apply the back billing rules (or try to), on the basis they have failed to bill me correctly, accept my readings or read the meter themselves. I have receipt emails from Lowri Beck showing they have been given but they have not used them to bill me correctly.

Total nightmare, can never get through on the phone and 3 months to get an email reply.
  • rlpowell
    rlpowell Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Like others I was suckered into Greenstar with MSE special deal last year, and am leaving due to high current tariff levels.

I'm still early in the story, but bank account is suffering due to Greenstar continuing to take routine direct debits even though I'm no longer their customer, whilst being in good credit position when my contract terminated.

I trust MSE will remove their support from this company, but MSE should also campaign to make it ILLEGAL for all energy companies to continue to collect DD when supply has ceased, which would limit fraudsters like Hudson / Greenstar.

Come on Martin, clip their wings
  • I am in the process of switching away from GREEN STAR ENERGY. I have been with them for a year and paid the direct debits that they set as requested. The direct debits were too low and I built up a debt which I knew I had to pay on leaving. (£245) After selecting an alternative supplier (Breeze) I received an email with an 'Objection to change' notice which had been sent to Breeze and a 'Debt Objection Letter'
    I have no idea why they took this course of action rather than asking for a final settlement but have had difficulty in speaking to them due to their appalling telephone support service. I think MSE should place a greater emphasis on referring people to back-office outfits because the poor communications and insulting actions are not worth the savings.
  • Datchet
    Datchet Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In common with many posting here - my opinion of Green Star Energy is very low indeed. They are a shower.

My accounts were switched to GSE after my previous supplier ceased trading - I had no say in the matter. Problems so far;
    1. No on-line access for months
    2. They set DD at incorrect, former high level.
    3. They "Lost" my gas supply and set up electricity only
    4. Set up DD for one account only and have failed to merge the two accounts
    5. Have not responded to a complaint about the above.
    6ALTHOUGH THE ACCOUNT AND CREDIT BALANCE TRANSFERED CORRECTLY WHEN I ATTAINED ON-lLINE ACCESS I DISCOVERED GSE HAD DEBITED THE WHOLE £294 CREDIT BALANCE BACK TO THE PREVIOUS FIRM.

THis leaves me no-where, as GSE complaints team insist they can't see the old firms' records - which does not wash, as it was GSE deducted the amount.

I can't even switch, as they don't have my records or supply correct.

Ombudsman complaint imminent.
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
  • ben501
    ben501 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DO YOU REALLY WANT THE HASSLE?

I don't think adding feedback is really worth it any more. I doubt anyone considering starting with them would read the whole thread, and if they did there are plenty of warnings, but while I'm waiting...

I did eventually get my closing statement, in fact it 'only' took a couple of weeks. Of course that won't be Green Star's fault, it will be because of the 'slow response' from the company I've just moved to.

Having received my closing statement I did as requested, phoned up and begged for MY money back. Just to emphasise, this is MY MONEY that Green Star had no intention of returning unless I phoned up and asked. (I think it would be reasonable to say that most joining Green Star did so because they offered a competitive price, and most are leaving because they no longer do. Maybe some are unhappy with the level of service. Suffice to say, not many will just forget about their £50, £200, £500... credit balance, so forcing customers to phone up and ask for it, is nothing more than an unnecessary delaying tactic)

Now I just have the long wait until the Green Star Employee arrives on my doorstep with the funds, at least I assume that the refund that I'm having to wait 'up to six weeks' for is being personally delivered by one of their agents, travelling on foot from their head office. They can't be using the electronic direct debit system or it could be done in hours, a couple of days at worst.

A more sceptical person might think they were just stalling on the refund, but I appreciate how exhausting it must be having to return money by hand to all these disgruntled ex customers, especially in this recent, unusually warm weather.

Now I may be wrong, but when changes are made in processes such as returning money owed to someone, it tends to work in favour of the consumer, at least in recent times.
    The last time I transferred to a new utility company was about 3 years ago. As with all transfers I had to phone them to say I was leaving, and...... wait.
    That's it, just wait. I didn't have to keep asking about my final bill. I didn't have to phone up and ask if I could have MY MONEY back. The old utility company didn't keep taking money out of my bank account once I'd stopped getting my energy supplied by them.
    It wasn't instant either. I had to wait just under 4 weeks until the money was credited back in my account. But that was it. One call and everything was sorted.
  • I applied to switch as they came up on Martins cheap energy club. I have never been more sorry.

The only communication I had with them was that they confirmed they had received my application. Then I noticed my bank account overdrawn, they had taken payment without any communication whatsoever with me. I cannot call as I work full time and their lines are only open 9 -5:30. I sent an email (they promise to get back within 2 days), they have not responded. I called my old energy supplier and they said that they have had no communication from anyone that I wished to switch supplier. I have tried Social Media, but another complainant has advised that they simply mark complaints as Spam to get rid of them.

So what does this mean? It means that I am paying two companies for the same energy, I am incurring bank charges daily and I cannot get hold of anyone to stop this. I'm at a loss.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I applied to switch as they came up on Martins cheap energy club. I have never been more sorry.

The only communication I had with them was that they confirmed they had received my application. Then I noticed my bank account overdrawn, they had taken payment without any communication whatsoever with me. I cannot call as I work full time and their lines are only open 9 -5:30. I sent an email (they promise to get back within 2 days), they have not responded. I called my old energy supplier and they said that they have had no communication from anyone that I wished to switch supplier. I have tried Social Media, but another complainant has advised that they simply mark complaints as Spam to get rid of them.

So what does this mean? It means that I am paying two companies for the same energy, I am incurring bank charges daily and I cannot get hold of anyone to stop this. I'm at a loss.

If your old energy supplier confirms that you are still their customer, and no transfer is in progress, then the remedy is simple. Invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee and ask for all your payments back. Once you have the money in your account, cancel the DD mandate with your Bank.
  • Rovergb
    Rovergb Posts: 10 Forumite
    Have a good look at Trustpilot for the problems folk are having, I don't think I've ever seen as many complaints as this shower gets.
    It strikes me they have cashflow issues along with terrible customer service and yet in there are 4/5 star reviews, really!
    I think I know which are the genuine ones.
  • I'd love to know the outcome of this one. I too am trying to switch from GSE and they too have opened up an objection because I owe money because their direct debits are too low. I've written them a formal complaint but have heard nothing but now my new supplier has also received the objection. Not sure what to do but I spoke to GSE and said they needed to give me a final bill before I paid them anything - at the moment its about £200 but will be more because they are crap and charging me too little. I'm going to speak to Citizens Advice tomorrow but I'd love to know what your experience was with the switch.
  • frank.evans
    frank.evans Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 June 2018 at 7:25PM
    Green Star Energy switch. Awful experience. After phone calls and 4 meter readings they still are unable to produce a bill without yet another meter reading as they have no record of the previous readings. Even I have seen 2 on the new account! What a complete shambles this company is in. Do not switch to this company.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback