Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I noticed they have now stopped doing "Simply" strawberry jam (454g for 28p). The "Maribel" jams are now available in more flavours, but at a higher price: strawberry, cherry, blackcurrant, raspberry, apricot now 89p for 450g (previously strawberry, raspberry and apricot - 454g for 59p).
    glensmen wrote: »
    There are actually two different products - Maribel *jam* in the three flavours, 59p/454g, and Maribel *conserves* in five flavours, 89p/450g. My store didn't have any jam for a few weeks, but they came back - so worth keeping an eye out. I think the conserves have a higher fruit content.
    glider3560 wrote: »
    Ah, I see! Checked the jar and it is indeed conserve, with 50g fruit per 100g of jam. Shame, since I went to Morrison's later, so could've just bought their Savers version (I only need it for a sponge cake, so actual pieces of fruit aren't really wanted).
    PLRFD wrote: »
    My black currant conserve says 40g per 100g.

In LIDL's leaflet (starting Thurs 19th)

99p for 220g

1463140740.27_6_o.jpg

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products, made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product, without the addition of artificial sugar, which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice. Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour, they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

Choose from STRAWBERRY or BLACKCURRANT
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    quoia wrote: »

99p for 220g

1463140740.27_6_o.jpg

Lowicz Jams 100% fruit are the highest quality products, made from 100% fruit, prepared with 100g of fruit per 100g of product, without the addition of artificial sugar, which has been replaced by concentrated apple juice. Our jams have an excellent fruit consistency and flavour, they do not contain preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

Quite expensive per 100gm but I'd buy it over the cheaper versions.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

99p for 220g

Thanks. It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the standard "Fruit Spread" available from the other supermarkets (St Dalfour) which is now over £2 a jar.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks quoia I will definitely give that a try.
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Black grapes currently in Aldi for (I think) £1.65/500g are delicious and about twice the size of a normal grape, I wish I had taken note of the variety so that I could look for them again.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Frozen Rice products which have recently been absent at both Aldi & Lidl are now back at my local Aldi, and there is a new frozen Risotto range which looks good VFM @ £1.29.

Still no sign of the individual portion fruit pots, which Aldi staff assured would be returning.

Special buy "Deluxe" Pears from Lidl last week were delicious and perfectly ripe.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    There's a big taste and texture difference between the Aldi tuna I used and my usual Princes or John West.
    As I said, Aldi is more like tuna flakes.
    I've not bought Tesco value.
    Tuna is something I won't compromise on.
    At 75p per tin, Aldi was around the price I can get Princes/John West in HB, B&M etc in a 4 pack £3 or £3.25 for 4 tins) so I thought it was worth a try.
    It turned out not to be.

Aldi tin had a ring pull.
    It was a pain in the butt to open so failed on every level - for me.

Our Aldi hasn't been open long so I'm trying a few changes to my usual brands.

Tinned fish is the only thing Ive not swapped to Lidl - its all disgusting, just not worth the pennies saved imo other then the anchovies, they are ok

Dunno but the sardines, mackerel and tuna are soft and pappy to me
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Red pesto has mysteriously gone missing from Lidl shelves :think:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

99p for 220g

1463140740.27_6_o.jpg

I got the black currant one and tried it this morning it's really not very nice at all and went straight in the bin.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I got the black currant one and tried it this morning it's really not very nice at all and went straight in the bin.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!

You got me worried there for a moment.

I bought both flavours but hadn't opened either .......

... until 20 minutes ago.

Just had the blackcurrant one on a croissant.

It's lovely.

Like any "reduced sugar" jam it's not a sweet as "normal" jam, and this is especially so with ones made from quite tart fruits like blackcurrants, blackberries, blueberries etc.

I'm guessing but I bet the strawberry one is quite sweet, like a reduced sugar raspberry one (Sainsbury's brand) that I buy at the minute.

Just to be sure that it wasn't the croissant making it edible, I've just had half a teaspoon straight from the jar.

I will admit, it is a little different to what you might imagine or expect it to be, but the best way to describe it is that it is
    SPREADABLE RIBENA :D

As for it "went straight in the bin" - not very MSE :naughty: :doh:

Retrieve it immediately (presume the jam is still in the jar :eek:) - pop it in the fridge and wait until you make an APPLE PIE.
    Pop a few small dollops around and amongst the sliced apples before putting the pastry lid on and baking.

It'll be DELICIOUS

Q
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport