What small DFW things will you do w/c 10th December?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important! :money:

Comments

• Morning all :hello:

Just a quick post before I need to be getting on with the day. Dawn please tell us what you put in your apple crumble, your note yesterday said you mixed in quarter of a jar but left us hanging :rotfl:

Today's list:
    Check banking
    Wrap some more gifts tonight
    Post a couple of cards, or at least get the addresses on them
    Something out of freezer for tea
    Small has leftovers/ home made quiche in lunch box
    Gift some hm mince pies to a friend rather than buying her something when I see her
    Some washing on
    Continue to use up OOD tea. I've finished the earl grey and I'm on to rooibos.
    Check out my raspberry plant as when I tied it up last week it had flowers on it again and now there is pink so I think it may have re fruited :eek:

Have a good day everyone.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning all :hello:
    Just a quick post before I need to be getting on with the day. Dawn please tell us what you put in your apple crumble, your note yesterday said you mixed in quarter of a jar but left us hanging :rotfl:

Oops that is what comes of posting when I haven't had much sleep :o I had a couple of tablespoons of mincemeat left in a jar, and stirred that into stewed apple from the freezer, and made into a crumble. I would thoroughly recommend this if anyone has a little bit of mincemeat left (you don't need a lot). It was lush, and a great way to use up a likely leftover at this time of the year!

I make my own mincemeat, and this was the last of last year's batch. I will now onto this year's mincemeat for Christmas mince pies - and a jar of HM mincemeat makes a nice little gift too :)
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:

• Benefits check-up (Link)
    • Birthday Freebies (Link) New-ish!
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes. (Link)
    • eBid (Link)
    • Freecycle (Link)
    • Freegle (Link)
    • FreeStuff (Link)
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • Jobseekers Railcard (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • Martin Lewis' Weekly List of Deals and Tips (Link)
    • MSE Bank Charges Comparison Tool (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. (Link)
    • MSE Budget Planner (Link)
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained (Link)
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers (Link)
    • MSE Demotivator Tool (Link)
    • MSE Credit Card Minimum Repayment Calculator (Link)
    • MSE Money Makover (Link)
    • MSE Piggybank Budgeting (Link)
    • MSE Stoozing Guide (Link)
    • MSE Wow Offers (Link)
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket (Link)
    • NHS Free Prescription Checker (Link)
    • OnePoll (Link)
    • Parcel2Go: compare postage prices (Link)
    • Parkopedia: compare parking charges (Link)
    • Pick My Postcode Lottery ( Link )
    • Quidco (Link)
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself without using a claims company. (Link)
    • Reclaim Packaged Bank Account fees at no cost to yourself without using a claims company.(Link)
    • Reclaim phone credit (Link)
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder (Link)
    • Split Ticketing (Link) New
    • Start Rescue Breakdown Cover (Link)
    • Super Saver Amazon Delivery Tool (Link)
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions (Link)
    • Swagbucks (Link)
    • Swapit (Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link) Site closed
    • Toluna (Link)
    • TopCashBack (Link)
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)

If any of the links are broken, let me know.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 December 2018 at 7:11PM
    Hi December Devotees,

Thanks for the starter PF.

Morning!:coffee: Lovely day off. Going hill-walking locally this morning, as soon as my mobile has charged.
    Big homecooked breakfast before I go. Taking a flask of coffee and a snack. Navigating with free OS map subscription given to me by a kind friend.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Check online banking. Done.

* DW has last of many dental appointments today. (Not so MSE but unavoidable.) At least the dentist is within walking distance. Done. Turns out this isn't the last appointment.

* DW wants to sell some of her camera-ma-bob gear. <:dance: Falls over in a faint.> Help her list it later.

* Going to see a folk/Scottish trad singer tonight locally. Two tickets were £22; DW got a discount. Waited until she is performing locally before going.

* Get some exercise outfoors. Very much done. Had to alter my route, marsh area too marshy to traverse today.

* Repaired cycle helmet strap last night with cable ties. Done.

* Open pile of unimportant mail I've been avoiding all week. Done.

* Saved a two foot wee broken Christmas tree from being binned at Tesco yesterday. Repaired with wire. Done.

* Tidied out wallet. I have more cash than I thought. Done.

There are hidden blessings in every struggle.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 December 2018 at 6:15PM
    Morning folks

Big hugs to everyone!

Sorry for being awol - it's been mad busy here. I feel like I haven't stopped for days!

Apart from the obvious post-flood clean up there has been:
    • Hair appointments for both of us
    • Trips to the tip, shops etc for vital errands
    • Baking
    • A round trip visiting friends in Leeds
    • Drs App for OH's medication review
    • A charity carol concert (I was on tea and coffee duty, OH was playing)
    • Birthday meals
    • Lots of Christmas decorating
    • Lots of last minute present crochet
    Today I'm back in work so back to some normality.
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Gym at lunch time - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Heating off
    • Christmas crochet - am doing a quick thing for OH so will work on it this evening when he's out the house. Will work on my nan's scarf when he's in the house!
    • Waterproof my shoes
    • No alcohol - have had more than enough over the weekend d/t friends, birthday etc
    • Washing away - done
    • Put Secret Santa gift by door to remind me to take it to work
    • Send money to friend that we owe her for Burns' Night tickets
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • carrielovesfanta
    edited 10 December 2018 at 11:42AM
    In other news, my home made mincemeat was not so good as it fermented in the jars!!

It is edible (at least I have eaten several mince pies and suffered no ill effects) but it's not sweet and isn't aa tasty as it could be.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe please? Dawn I see you mention some??

Thanks!
  • In other news, my home made mincemeat was not so good as it fermented in the jars!!

It is edible (at least I have eaten several mince pies and suffered no ill effects) but it's not sweet and isn't aa tasty as it could be.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe please? Dawn I see you mention some??

Thanks!

I make this one

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4829/sandham-family-mincemeat

It's quite versatile. So this year it has light muscovado (sp) sugar in it and imitation amaretto instead of whiskey as that's what I had and is lovely. Lasts as well, I only just finished last years recently too.
  • DawnW wrote: »
    Oops that is what comes of posting when I haven't had much sleep :o I had a couple of tablespoons of mincemeat left in a jar, and stirred that into stewed apple from the freezer, and made into a crumble. I would thoroughly recommend this if anyone has a little bit of mincemeat left (you don't need a lot). It was lush, and a great way to use up a likely leftover at this time of the year!

I make my own mincemeat, and this was the last of last year's batch. I will now onto this year's mincemeat for Christmas mince pies - and a jar of HM mincemeat makes a nice little gift too :)

Sounds lovely :D
  • carrielovesfanta
    edited 10 December 2018 at 3:11PM
    I make this one

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4829/sandham-family-mincemeat

It's quite versatile. So this year it has light muscovado (sp) sugar in it and imitation amaretto instead of whiskey as that's what I had and is lovely. Lasts as well, I only just finished last years recently too.

sluuurrrppp thank you!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 December 2018 at 4:16PM
    :)
    In other news, my home made mincemeat was not so good as it fermented in the jars!!

Thanks!

I use this one. It keeps for years. https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/recipes/ballymaloe-homemade-mincemeat-30739002.html

I do vary the dried fruit a bit, but stick to the quantities. I also vary the alcohol depending on what we have. It needs to be a spirit though. This year I used Scotch whisky but other years I have used Irish (as per the recipe) or brandy. Amaretto sounds nice though, and I have heard of someone using sloe gin. I often chuck a bit more booze in than the recipe states :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure