In the nick of time

Comments

• Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well done- you do sound very organised.I must do something about my bank accounts.I made a note,and had a quick google,when I saw a mention upthread (post180-even took a note!),about the interest rate you are getting with TSB.
    I take part in the sealed pot challenge,and next month is pot-opening day :j.I always told myself that when I get enough money together,I would start cycling money through the Halifax reward account,to take advantage of the £5/month reward.But reading your mention of TSB,it has inspired me to look into that instead-that sounds even more worthwhile!I think this years pot will give me enough money to kick-start some serious saving.
    And I think it is a great idea to throw as much spare money as you can toward the mortgage.
    Last night your diary also inspired me to start looking at where the money goes,and how I can cut bills/spending.I worked out exactly how much money I spend,on my share of bills/expenses.(Would love to get OH onboard with doing the research ,and cutting some of the bills he pays,but it is so hard motivating him to just make the phone calls/do comparisons.)But I have been crunching a few numbers,and made a few phone calls,thanks to the inspiration of your diary,so thank you.
    See you soon x
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• Having my OH on board is great... although sometimes he does take savings a little too far on occasion...

Years ago when he had no money and I was doing overtime, he'd waste cash on big bouquets of flowers, think I walloped him with them once :o and lashed them in the bin....

Nowadays it's fabulous when I come home to freshly mopped floors and a sparkling kitchen :D

He doesn't know I have a diary on here, he knows I read them and take advice from diaries.. He asked me once about typing, and I said a web address :o

Anyhow, no spending from last week failed a bit, We bought a large canvas print of our GD on the local beach paddling with the lighthouse in the back ground. It will give us lots of pleasure.

Makes me realise we need to finish our bedroom. We took down the mirrored sliding doors in the spring and not replaced the doors.

Also bought DD2 new bedding as we are collecting her tomorrow :T :T :T She took her quilt cover with her and looking yesterday her pillows were very much in need of replacing. I think we threw her quilt away earlier.

Petrol spends this month have been less than £60 :T :T this is partly me working long days so a 3-4 day week and my OH car sharing with a colleague.

Food hasn't increased from last week. £120? Don't want to look back and lose post :)

Sky reduced our bill by £20 pcm this week. still thinking of cancelling it but not quite ready.

Pay day tomorrow, not expecting a good one.. but at least it will be here and sorted.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: If only they knew those OH's mine doesn't either and I would be in sooooooo much trouble if he found it :D
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • Canvas print sounds amazing. Definitely something worth spending on if it will give you lots of pleasure.
  • Sue I can well imagine... delete button is at the ready :D

I'm a bit peeved about the exairbnb guest in top room. He told me he would be moving on after his month booking. I did block dates in case he changed mind, but last week was starting to get requests for dates in Nov. So I gave in and booked £200 worth of bookings... Not bad for winter.
    So this guest emails me friday when I was collecting DD2 to say had would have same booking next month, and he's taken the keys and won't be back until Tuesday... I was like "whoa we have weekend guests!" so email to say half of November booked as he said was moving on.. ( I was really polite) said I would need to look at dates later at home to confirm availability as at least one week full and other weekends booked and we would need the key for this weekend.

So think he spat his dummy out and said he would stay Friday night and leave it at that as moving on would be best.............. Our initial emails included 31st, 2nd and 3rd Nov., although he did add 3 nights to the other weeks. AND he added a 12th and only paid for 11... meaning £100 reduction in price overall... My OH went out for half an hr and he left then.

He hasn't yet responded to my email enquiry on friday, asking is he coming or not? GRRR I expect not... for a Dr of something they didn't teach him manners!!

Glad I've got that off my chest :D:D be nice to have room empty for a few days

Money wise lodger still says he's not getting paid on time... is a week behind plus this week is £160 owed... We have had a fabulous OP this month, so can go in next months pot.... but lodger is good at (or not) telling porky pies. He left this morning again saying he was off to get rent , but looked like he'd had a skinful last night :( As I was getting ready for work yesterday (13.5 hr shift) his bathroom fan was on.... a tell tale sign he's fell asleep drunk and not turned off the light... Boozing 2 nights is ok for a young man.. after you've paid your rent ;) I quite like him when he's behaving. I feel a bit sorry for him.

Would like to say I haven't been shopping but I only bargain shop, but to day I have bought ingredients for the raspberry bakewell cake that is currently in the oven, Ground Almonds £1.82!!!

Half leg of lamb for dinner but will do a couple of meals. Didn't buy any other meats as still got the last months staples in the freezer.

I cancelled 1st utility DD as no way was I paying another £149 when I'm waiting for final bill... now in credit of £22 so I expect eventual bill will be about £30.
    SP new provider haven't taken anything yet..
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • ETE it took me that long to write that post I missed yours :o

Having something nice does make things look unfinished or dated...

Wardrobe doors for carcasses estimate £500 ?? maybe cheaper to buy new wardrobes.. or get rid of the clothes mountain :o

Personal bedding to fit with seaside theme... not the chocolate or aubergine with white bed frame ( we swapped only the mattresses for the guest room as formerly DD1's room was quite new. £50 (to include throw/bedspread )

Get rid of the 4 storage boxes of stuff that have made the way to our bedroom. £0 (could even make a few quid)

oooo and new kitchen floor tomorrow. I've chosen polyflor expona range, creme matrix. seen it, wanted it, bought it.... took less than a minute. Formerly OH trade, so pretty much cost price and he can fit. hopefully last another 10 years. £400

New blind for our dining window to match others bought in the summer £140

New blinds for bnb room. not sure whether to buy cheaper make do or fabulous seaside patterned ones to make to room special at £90 a blind and we need 2.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 October 2016 at 2:08PM
    Apart from the flooring, which I have collected this morning. The above list is for future needs/wants.

I am impatiently waiting for OH to get up to do floor... come on!!! surely 5 hours sleep is enough !! :)

When he is up I can hoover the kitchen and mop before he starts laying our lovely new tiles. They are even better in real life :D

He wanted a date night tonight to celebrate new floor :o but unfortunately I've had to swap days off to take mum on a hospital visit. So long day in work tomorrow will not mix with wine :( We don't tend to have late nights, but usually matched by teatime starting.

Lodger appeared this morning, said he stayed at his nans as he's embarrassed not to have paid up. He sounded like Rod Stewart and looked like he'd partied all weekend!! I only have one job in the house I would give him to do ( we can do the rest slowly) Apparently he has good building skills ( its his personality that annoys people (poor lad)) Needy, then tells porkies, paranoid that no one likes him.... it's not paranoia when he's right :( He's just daft. Trying to think of cost of new wardrobe doors on the old carcasses v's just nice new wardrobes... That was a January job though. But it would take some of his back rent away. This week (friday) its £240.. a lot for someone with sporadic income to come back from.

Urgh got to finish halloween costume by 4pm
  • OH has donated half a £60 scratch card win to me. Plan to go and see Girl on a Train with DD2 this evening. Did love the book, I'm hoping it will be enjoyable and I don't dose off. :o.... but at least I won''t have to pay from my account :D

DD1 will hopefully do my hair today or tomorrow... those silver sides just appear overnight every month. One day they will be fine... next I'm doing a comb over to hide the grey.

Need to speak to lodger :( find out his plans

Will be paying for kitchen floor today. Looks lovely :)

I know I have access to cash but really only have £250 that I'm happy spending throughout the month, but things always come up. Such as my sister is in a low paid job, she's travelling to see mum this W/E and will take DD2 back to uni. Must give her £20 for petrol as it's an hr away from her place. After I get back from hospital visit with mum I Will list on ebay. It's the weighing and measuring that puts me off. Such a faff. My wages will be good in Nov, due to OT last month, but you never know what might happen.
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I stopped dyeing a bit back and have silver streaks down the sides, looks quite cool and it was nice not to have to pay about £50 every 2 months to cover it :D:D:D

Good luck with lodger, it sounds like he is his own worst enemy :(

Wardrobes are a quandry, my neighbour has given us sliding glass doors, so I can build wardrobes but I had my heart set on the fancy ike@ ones, with the fabulous basket pull out drawers and things.................but the mse in me has gone and accepted the glass doors :D:D:D

I KM'd my clothes a bit back but still have loads, way too much :rotfl::rotfl:
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • I don't have nice hair sue, it's fine and wispy, one side is healthy and the other thinner and shorter, (not by choice). Had a spell of alopecia after DD2, there's a patch that only grows to about 2 inches. I can only get it to shoulder length. does look ok when I make an effort hence having to :o I get serious hair envy all the time :)

I have changed to different brand of colour so oil based hoping change would help. My mums hair looks amazing since she stopped colouring it (84) I'm lucky I only pay for the product as DD1 will do.

I have 3 wardrobes of clothes, plus box of summer stuff, box of older stuff and bag to hopefully sell. I wear my uniforms, 2 pairs of jeans/jeggings and 3 tops. Nothing else fits!! I joined SW 3 weeks ago and not been since... Not done it. I will shop today and go tonight.

OH says lodger going for housing benefit.. more time!! but I hope then he will try and find a proper career path, a training course to suit and not just follow anyone who promises the earth and doesn't cough up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback