Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.

Comments

• moggylover
    moggylover Posts: 13,324 Forumite
    stilernin wrote: »
    This is the first time I have been moved to respond to a post like this on MSE..............

.......but I just can't believe that any intelligent person would have this view.

No "intelligent" person would, nor would any human being!
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    Yes, I'd be interested in this info too - but for cats.

Mine eat Felix and Whiskas, but won't touch Asda or Tesco's own for some reason, so I presume they aren't the same? Any info would be good.

Does anyone know for certain if Go-Cat biscuits are repackaged as anything else too? Mine love them but they are pricey compared with the supermarkets own brands - spesh when you have 12 cats to feed like I do! :eek:

Hi!!!!

I have 14 - but fortunately mine will eat the Tesco canned food - and also the one from Aldi - but their favourite is the Morrisons one. Actually, if cats won't eat the food they are offered then they are not really hungry - but I do find mine will get "bored" with one brand and so I just swap around - and the Morrisons one is cheapest with 24 cans being just under £7.00! Two meals a day - and no food left for picking at - and they should eat most foods - unless they are rotten! The foods that is!
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    Hmmmm there's only Tesco-about a mile away, Morrisons and Asda about 3mile and Aldi -a mile and about 5 miles round here.
    There's a couple of Kwik Save's but have never been able to shop there.

Sainsbury is about 15 miles away same with lidl.

That makes quite a difference-locations of your nearest supermarkets.

Try: Somerfields 3 miles, Tesco - 15 miles and 20 miles, Morrisons and Lidl 20 miles and Aldi 15 miles. Oh, and a local one called CK's that is ok as a sod-it shop but lacks range!

Oh, to be near civilisation - at least once a week!
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    middleman6 wrote: »
    Here is a case where it doesnt pay to buy cheaper stuff. I tried Asda own label non bio laundry powder, which is half the price of Persil, and less than Surf and other major brands.

The own brand by Asda, leaves the laundry rough and dry, BUT worse than this, gave me an allergic skin raction, and i had to re wash everything with decent powder such as surf. So not only is it a bad finsih, it also contains allergens which the good brands do not have! Surf is often on sale at good prices in Asda, so thats what i will stick to!

They are not allergens - different mixes of biological enzymes can do this - I personally cannot use Persil - and was involved in the trials of New System Persil Automatic (about 30 years ago) when they first started making bios and got "dobbie itch" badly!

Just have to shop around for the ones that you can tolerate - non of them are particularly kind to the skin. BTW, "whitening" toothpastes use the same enzyme technology - and neither my son nor I can use them cos we get mouthfuls of ulcers!
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    fonzy8 wrote: »
    To reply to ThrobbsBlackHat a couple of posts ago, I think Peugeot own Citroen, so most Peugeot and Citroen cars are similar as they're basically the same development team as far as I can tell. Think Peugeot and Renault are competitors but they seem to do quite a bit of development together - probably due to the French government's influence to try to innovate in country (not sure but I think Peugeot has the French government as a fairly major shareholder).

Also after VW bought Skoda, I went to buy a Skoda Octavia (but didnt). The dealer said that since the takeover, the Octavia was the same body as the VW Passat - it's just a slightly less powerful engine in the Skoda but a few thousand quid cheaper. I was tempted!

Quite right - Peugeot bought Citroen over 20 years ago - when I still worked for Citroen - and then ruined the Citroen brand totally - and made them the cheap and tatty end of the market! Shame for a manufacturer that had always been innovative and quirky to become just another car!

Conversely, Citroen were dreadful to work for before Peugeot bought them - but friends still there tell me they are much better since!
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    Schamansky wrote: »
    Firstly, there is no wrinkle cream that "really" works. :D
    (I'll be burnt at the stake for that...)

Say a company sells three differently labelled creams, one for Aldi (£1.89), one for Boots (£10.99) and one with a fancy name such as "Jacqueline de la Connerie*", distributed exclusively through fancy beauty parlours (£129.99). The products as such would still have to differ a little, with none of them being inferior to the other.

The cheapest way to create some "real" product differentiation is to play around with fragrances, colours and sensory density (= make it thicker or thinner). It doesn't take a doctorate in chemistry to figure that out. The rest is packaging, design and marketing. The effect on wrinkles no matter which cream would still be the same (= minimal), but the difference in markup makes product variation worth while. Economies of scale on the cost side are not really affected, since the basic ingredients would still be the same, and that means cheap chemical commodities. There's just a few product variations for different distribution channels and different target markets.

Does anybody really believe L'Or!al products (as one example) are so expensive because so much really expensive stuff goes into them? It's all those celebrities and supermodels that aren't cheap, nor are the ads, and I don't really want to know the price of one page of advertising in Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Elle, and what have you. It's all make believe, nothing else.

---
    * excuse my French.

Well said - but as a woman I shall say it as well. Spent a fortune over many years on all this goop and gloop! Never had particularly good skin (prone to spots). Gave it all up 15 years ago cos I could not longer afford it - and now use Johnsons 2 in 1 wipes to remove makeup on the odd occasion that I wear it, then wash with soap and water (Palmolive naturals - sensitive) and then tone with Distilled Witch Hazel - which clears the odd spot very quickly as well. I treat the area around my eyes with a little almond oil or pure vitamin e - and then only occasionally - and my neck and elbows enjoy a little of this as well. Just had my 50th birthday - and no-one ever believes me!

Bought Olay 7 signs eye cream - made my eyes swell up and they were red and sore for about a week - all crumbly dry skin - horrible! Will stick with the cheap and chearful routine that appears to be working well!

However, IMO - wrinkles are pretty much a case of genetics - and I go with my son who was watching that add about a collagen cream that "fills" the wrinkles - and he said he bet pollyfilla was cheaper! Not bad for 12!
    (Herman Melville)
  • moggylover
    floss2 wrote: »
    As an exercise in saving some of my housekeeping whilst prices are going up, I'm trying to work out which manufacturers make which supermarket own brands.... has anybody got any info?

Specifically, Jordans Special Muesli and Crunchy Oat cereal, Ariel (Proctor & Gamble), Andrex, Carrs Water biscuits, Fairy liquid, but any others would be great to compile a list.

DF is a bit of a brand freak, and is convinced that anything cheaper is inferior where I am not too proud to use own brands (having been on a very tight budget in the past ;)).

I already use Tesco deals for RAC & meal vouchers, Boots points for my toiletries, Stardrops & soda crystals and the fishmonger / butcher / greengrocer & market for fresh foods, but I can see that my housekeeping (my share of the household expenses is this) is not going as far each month, and is buying less of the named stuff!

Don't let husband see the boxes/packets/tins! My OH was convinced that only Nescafe was Nescafe (can't stand it myself - doesn't taste like coffee at all). I bought the Tesco classic one - decanted it into an empty Nescafe jar and hid the empty. Kept this up for weeks, and he never once complained about his coffee - even asked him if his coffee was okay! Only complained about it once he knew it was different!!! No surprises there - lol. However, took him shopping - told him I would pay the £2.00 for the Tesco one - he could pay the extra £2.00 for the same sized jar and we would get the Nescafe! Guess which one we brought home!
    (Herman Melville)
  • Schamansky
    Schamansky Posts: 621 Forumite
    moggylover wrote: »
    ...- and he said he bet pollyfilla was cheaper! Not bad for 12!

That's got to be a smart boy. :cool:

Thank God Ms Schamansky never used to splash out on cosmetics. And why would she, when there are all these samples and freebies to be had through MSE.
  • ceejayblue
    ceejayblue Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CBGB wrote: »
    Say a company sells three differently labelled creams, one for Aldi (£1.89), one for Boots (£10.99) and one with a fancy name such as "Jacqueline de la Connerie*", distributed exclusively through fancy beauty parlours (£129.99). The products as such would still have to differ a little, with none of them being inferior to the other.

* excuse my French.

Now I am of a certain age I have to use a good quality moisturiser. I have been using Aldi's anti wrinkle cream (not that I am suggesting it gets rid of your wrinkles, cause it doesn't - keep your wrinkles, they tell stories about you) as it keeps my skin soft all day (without it I wouldn't be able to smile, my skin would crack - LOL). There was some survey done in a magazine and Aldi's came out close to the top against all the expensive creams. It is only £1.89 but it is now hard to get (due to the survey) Lidle do another just as good cream for around the same price, can't remember its name but it comes in a little white pot with blue lid.

Don't waste your money on expensive creams, give Lidl and Aldis a try first.

Its my first post so Hi to everyone too!:hello:
    I agree with you - Aldi and Lidl moisturisers are great. I had been buying them for ages and then they got into the papers and now its hard to get hold of! I did multi buy some a few weeks ago but have had trouble getting hold of the night cream. I must say I have tried expensive and cheap brands and the Aldi and Lidl ones come out tops for me, followed by Liz Earle's skin repair (about £12 per pot!!).

Chris
  • Schamansky
    Schamansky Posts: 621 Forumite
    It seems that Aldi's Siana face cream is now regularly available, which wasn't the case due to underestimation of demand after the media and TV campaigns. This is now sorted. So don't fall for the ebay scams. They're complete rip-offs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure