Car service cost

Options

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I have been servicing my Fiesta from new. The first service cost was £25 which includes Comma oil and Mann filters. That's including a pollen filter that a lot of garages don't bother changing.

Haven't you invalidated the warranty?

Also, let's say you've saved maybe £150 a time, or £450 over three years. You then need to sell a car with no service history. Money-saving?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    <nods>
    ...and the reason the pollen filter isn't changed at every service is simply because it lasts far longer than that.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 December 2018 at 12:19PM
    Options
    The SEAT website suggests £179 for the first service. That is at a main dealer.

https://www.seat.co.uk/content/dam/countries/uk/Download%20documents/Fixed-price-servicing
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    Options
    Polite advice to all. When you buy a car, please try and ascertain road tax costs, insurance, approx cost of tyres/brakes/etc and service costs at the main dealer and an independent garage, that way you are not shocked and prepared.

FYI, my step parents bought pre-reg Mercedes gle 250 I think it is, had her second service last month at about 7 k miles, cost £700.2p for the standard second-year service plus blue ad top up. They live in London and used a greater London main dealer - there were a couple of main dealers in the north that charged about 180 less - so be prepared. Though my dad was preared, still hurt :)
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    <nods>
    ...and the reason the pollen filter isn't changed at every service is simply because it lasts far longer than that.

The service schedule clearly says change it every 12 months. You are showing clear capabilities for working in a garage. Don't do a job then charge the customer for doing it. If the customer spots you haven't done it the worst that can happen is that you then do it. If the customer is capable of checking if the filter has been changed then they are probably capable of doing their own services. Most customers aren't capable. So you will only get caught out when a capable customer brings a car in just to get a stamp. My dad was in this position when he retired and bought a new car for the first time in his life. Took it for main dealer servicing to 'maintain it's value'. They just stamped his book and did nothing every time it went in. He used to mark everything so he knew. It was so sad to see I refuse to go down that route.
  • fred246
    Options
    SandraX wrote: »
    Second service last month at about 7 k miles, cost £700.2p

Unbelievable. The only time you should pay that sort of money is if they change the cambelt. Mercedes parts are a little more expensive but I would love to see a breakdown of that charge. Must be inflated parts prices, inflated times and ludicrous hourly rate.
  • SandraX
    Options
    Unbelievable. The only time you should pay that sort of money is if they change the cambelt. Mercedes parts are a little more expensive but I would love to see a breakdown of that charge. Must be inflated parts prices, inflated times and ludicrous hourly rate.

not 100% sure need to ask day but approx 645 quid was for what they call a B service, extras inc in price is brake fluid change and one small filter costing about 30 quid then the usal oil and filter change and checkes plus they topped up the blue ad. - he did shop around prices in london were the same, lakeside shopping centre MB was about 25 quid cheaper. and north england only some of them were quite a bit cheaper and in brum/etc similar prices close to what dad paid but he is aware how much MB charge but still hurts.
  • SandraX
    Options
    There is a massive culture in the garage service industry of not actually doing what they say they have done. I used to drive round with a report that showed that 75% of garages didn't service cars properly. That was in case my car broke down and they suggested I hadn't serviced it properly. I was going to say that if I had taken it to a garage it almost definitely wouldn't have been serviced properly. My car never broke down.

Not only that, some of the fast fit outfits wanted to do work that was not required EG repalce brakes inc discs is the most common - managers are under pressure to meet taking targets, hence this kind of behaviour.
  • fred246
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    You then need to sell a car with no service history. Money-saving?

It has got a service history. All the services have been done by me. I have all the receipts. I make it very clear in the adverts that I have serviced it myself and the reasons for that. I list all the brands that I have used and the care and attention I have given the car. When they meet me they can see a garage full of tools and equipment. When I list a car the phone never stops ringing. I agree that if I try to sell it to a dealer they will try and knock the price down because that is what dealers do. I always sell privately for more than any dealer would give me or any part exchange price.
  • fred246
    Options
    SandraX wrote: »
    managers are under pressure to meet taking targets, hence this kind of behaviour.

The last time I took my car to a fast fit place they fitted an exhaust that wasn't meant for my car. They were blowtorching it and bending it and it was left hanging by one clamp instead of five. What a complete mess. I had a massive row with the manager in his office. Behind him was a big poster saying "Let's make a £million this year." In the end they removed it and I drove off without an exhaust and I had to buy one and fit it myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure