Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Has there been any talk anywhere about what happens to flight delay compensation when we leave the EU. I assume if you fly into the UK from an EU airport it will still apply but flying from the UK won't.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Unless it an EU carrier. Or we have a Norway type agreement?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has there been any talk anywhere about what happens to flight delay compensation when we leave the EU. I assume if you fly into the UK from an EU airport it will still apply but flying from the UK won't.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/brexit-what-it-means-for-you/#compensation :)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    CAA sets deadline for airlines to be clearer on replacement flight rights for passengers whose flights have been cancelled.

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/CAA-sets-deadline-for-airlines-to-be-clearer-on-replacement-flight-rights-for-passengers-whose-flights-have-been-cancelled/
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • It seems like the CAA are finally taking a stronger line with recalcitrant airlines.Not before time.
  • Tyzap
    It seems like the CAA are finally taking a stronger line with recalcitrant airlines.Not before time.

Agreed.

Love the word 'recalcitrant' too, must remember it:)

recalcitrant
    ADJECTIVE
    having an obstinately uncooperative attitude towards authority or discipline.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ryanair has this as it's alternative branding...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Hi all,

Firstly, apologies for my question as it’s not really concerning a flight ‘delay’ but rather a missed connecting flight! This forum section seemed the most appropriate from what I could find.

I’m actually writing from Dubai airport right now having just missed my connecting flight to Manchester, having arrived here from Mumbai India. Unfortunately, i’ve had to re-book my connecting flight due to having temporarily lost my passport during the 3 hour stop over. I discovered it missing right before I was about to board, and by the time it had been found (by Airport security) my flight was long gone.

I’ve re-booked and will be heading home 12 hours later than originally planned, but Emirates (who all my flights for this trip have been booked with) have charged me a £200 no-show fee.

Anyway, I took out travel insurance with HolidaySafe prior to going on Holiday, and I was wondering if it was worth my while to put in a claim and how I should best go about it (i.e. what should I say?).

I have all the original tickets (for the in-bound journey anyway; I disposed of my outbound tickets after getting to India), as well as a document detailing the ‘no-show’ re-booking and fee from Emirates.

If more information is required please ask.

‘Missed departures’ are covered by my insurance (HolidaySafe) up to the value of £500, so I was wondering if my situation counts.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
  • I think the problem you are going to have is that you missed the flight due to you temporarily losing your passport. You can only put in a claim and see what they say. Have you read the terms and conditions and in what circumstances they will pay out.
  • !!!!!!.

Just read through the policy T&Cs and i’m starting to think it’s not worth bothering putting in a claim. The policy seems quite specific about a failure in transportation to the airport being the reason they pay out, that and there’s a note about connecting flights not being being covered.

Thanks anyway man.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure