Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 30th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3,167Posts
    • 5,109Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Older and fitter
    • 30th Nov 18, 12:53 PM
    Older and fitter 30th Nov 18 at 12:53 PM
    I've always done 'something' to keep fit (Pilates classes, yoga, walking), but 6 months ago joined a gym that really ticks all my boxes. I go three times a week, the trainer makes sure everyone's technique is good, suggests easier versions if you're struggling, but - and this is key - encourages/insists that you move up a level if you're able to.

This is what I needed!! No-one had ever told me before that I could lift more than the small pink 'girly' weights, and no-one had ever shown me how to do a proper press-up, or stood ready to catch me when I tried my first full-height box jump.

When I first joined the gym I was fit 'for my age' but I couldn't stand up to use the exercise bike, I couldn't (daren't) do a full-height box jump, I couldn't do a burpee, my running speed was pitiful, I couldn't do a plank... I could go on.

Now - well, I can do all of the above, and more. I can do 10 burpees in a row. My warm-up jogging is the speed that I was running flat-out at 6 months ago. And I can do a proper press-up, from the toes not the knees.

Some stats - I'm female, aged 58, resting heart rate of 72, max heart rate of 186 (for my age it should be 174), height 5'8", weight 9st 5lbs, BMI about 21. I haven't lost any weight - but I didn't need to or want to. I am however fitter and stronger than I've ever been, probably since my teens.

I've posted this for two reasons - one to show anyone who is a bit older and who's thinking about getting serious about getting fit that it can be done. And secondly to see if there's anyone else out there who's already doing it, so we could give a bit of mutual support.
Page 3
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 13th Dec 18, 7:20 AM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    Exactly that. Throw in some screening to catch things early and we should make a difference to lots of people.

The problem is - we don't have a health service, we have a sickness service. The first thing that goes when budgets get tight is health promotion.

Many people have become used to the idea they are helpless passengers in this, without realising they can shape their own luck, and it's never too late. Changes can bring benefits even later on.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 13th Dec 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 7,606 Thanks
    Ilona

Many people have become used to the idea they are helpless passengers in this, without realising they can shape their own luck, and it's never too late. Changes can bring benefits even later on.
    Originally posted by Nebulous2
    Exactly right. I'm amazed at the amount of people who I know, in my age group, who have some kind of ailment brought on by a sedentary lifestyle and incorrect diet. They don't make the connection with you are what you eat, and if you don't use your muscles and joints they cease to function as they should do. I see them hobble past my house on their way to the doctors surgery.

One neighbour who was passing while I was in the garden asked me if I had any trouble getting my meds, as she had to wait for hers. I said no, I don't take any meds of any kind. She said, what none. She was surprised, must have thought everyone took tablets.

I follow Doctor Rangan Chattergee, Doctor in the House. He makes a lot of sense.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 14th Dec 18, 8:23 AM
    • 10,816 Posts
    • 70,199 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Just discovered this thread.

You lot are inspirational.

I am going to follow (and join in).

I am 67 and not as fit as I should be. Time for action.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 14th Dec 18, 9:29 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Welcome, lessonlearned.

I don't think you can really convince people to look after their health - it's similar to people who are struggling with debt, or addiction, until they have their lightbulb moment it's hard to do anything. It has to come from within.

I missed my gym session today, but I'm hoping to make up for it tomorrow. They're running a competition for December to see who can amass the most 'effort points' during the month. You get effort points for each minute you spend in each zone - up to a maximum of 4 points for every minute you spend with your heart rate above 80% of maximum. Out of the 222 members who've signed up to the challenge, I'm currently in 17th place - well inside the top 10%. And I'm very competitive, so I can't afford to miss a session!!
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 14th Dec 18, 9:35 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 5,847 Thanks
    warehouse
    Great thread.

My wife turned 50 this year and started using the "couch to 5K" app on her phone. She's now running several 5K's every week and a regular at the local park run. She's decided to try for some 10K's next year.

I'm 54 and started the same app in August. From not being able to run 100 steps without being out of breath I can now run 5K in 28 minutes.

I'm still 2 minutes behind the wife though!
    Pants
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 14th Dec 18, 10:33 PM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    That's just wonderful warehouse (and Mrs Warehouse).
    It's an amazing feeling to realise you can do something that you couldn't do before. Even now, after 7 months of going to the gym 3 times a week, I'm still seeing progress - fewer 'unscheduled' rests, a faster speed on the treadmill, heavier weights. And I find myself actively looking forward to the next session. I'm so cross that I missed the gym today, will def be there tomorrow, I don't care what the weather throws at us!
    Ilona - yes, people look at you like they don't believe you when you say you don't take anything! I think good nutrition (without being faddy) is the other side of the coin - you have to be physically active, but you also have to give your body the nutrition it needs in order to be able to function well. Sensible quantities of wholesome food - it doesn't fill many magazine pages, but I really do believe that it's the way to go.
    Last edited by trailingspouse; Yesterday at 10:42 PM.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 15th Dec 18, 12:56 AM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    fred246
    I find myself actively looking forward to the next session.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I woke up early yesterday and went and did a high intensity class. Only 30 minutes but really good exercise. Afterwards I was sat in the jacuzzi with another pensioner. "Isn't life good", he said,"Can you remember your grandad's retirement?". I could only remember him pottering around the house arguing with grandma. I had never really felt sorry for him before. I am not sure what I would do if I didn't enjoy going to the gym. I remember reading some analysis that said you could live 2 years longer if you went to the gym BUT you spent 2 years AT the gym. So if you enjoy going go and if you don't just accept the earlier death.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Dec 18, 10:26 AM
    • 3,167 Posts
    • 5,109 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    "Can you remember your grandad's retirement?". I could only remember him pottering around the house arguing with grandma.
    Originally posted by fred246

My grandad thought he would be able to just sit by the fire and watch the snooker when he retired... Luckily for him, grandma had other ideas. First of all he had to decorate the house throughout, then they took up sequence dancing. He wasn't keen on the sequence dancing to begin with, so they agreed that she would go swimming with him and he would go dancing with her. He got really into it in the end, to the point where she was ill one week so he went on his own!!
    He was actually quite a fit man, and could swim a length under water well into his 70s. Sadly he'd also smoked since he was 9, and died of a smoking-related disease at 77.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,544Posts Today

6,628Users online

Martin's Twitter