£500,000 and 5 years

2»

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Chrism03 wrote: »
    I'm in the sad/lucky position of getting an inheritance of ~£500,000.
    I am 50 and looking to retire at 55.

What should I do with the money over the next 5 years to prepare for the escape?

Currently I have a couple of final salary pensions that will be worth ~£12,500 per year and will have a full state pension at 67.

Mortgage free and living comfortably on £20,000
    As it's such a large amount of money, I would suggest you consult a few Independent Financial Advisers (IFAs) to discuss how best to invest for your retirement. Initial consultations should be free, but I'd have a look through this forum and other investing sites like Monevator to learn a bit about investing first so you know what to ask. Don't rush into doing anything - you can always put the money in NS&I savings so it's fully protected until you are ready to invest either yourself or via a good IFA.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,874 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Audaxer wrote: »
    As it's such a large amount of money, I would suggest you consult a few Independent Financial Advisers (IFAs) to discuss how best to invest for your retirement. Initial consultations should be free, but I'd have a look through this forum and other investing sites like Monevator to learn a bit about investing first so you know what to ask. Don't rush into doing anything - you can always put the money in NS&I savings so it's fully protected until you are ready to invest either yourself or via a good IFA.

I’ll be the contrarian here & suggest I don’t think you need to consult an IFA at all.

Firstly, sorry to hear about your loss.
    Secondly, you say you are mortgage free living happily on £20k.
    You already have pensions lined up: you don’t say if they start from your planned age 55 great escape or later, but given this legacy, I don’t think it matters: 500k would last 20 years at £25k pa if it only made the rate of inflation!

My advice would pretty well mirror that from crv1963. You have illustrated you have a good grasp of finance by being mortgage free and living frugally, with kids: well done!!
    I sense you have no need to look for fancy tax avoidance schemes or anything desperately clever.

Yes it is a large sum, but take some time to use MSE and perhaps other similar sites (MisterMoneyMustache, TheGreatEscape) to find the best value investments and start them up.
    I’d look at global trackers (such as Vanguard lifestrategy) to keep costs super low and also to insulate against any ‘brexit’ uncertainties).
    Don’t know the age of your kids, but HTB/Junior/ ISA or LISA could set them up nicely in the future.
    My only advice would be to ‘blow’ a small amount (perhaps up to 5%) on some ‘treats’ (car or big family holiday) in memory of the benefactor.
    We did a massive family 1 month long holiday to the States when our kids were 14 & 16. Still the best holiday we’ve been on, well worth doing well (I can pm you the details if it might give you ideas!).

Again, sorry for your loss: I’m sure you will make good use of the inheritance.
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    I sense you have no need to look for fancy tax avoidance schemes or anything desperately clever.

Do you really view ISAs, pensions and premium bonds as "fancy tax avoidance schemes"?

I'd think most people view them as bog standard tax avoidance schemes.

A fancy tax avoidance scheme would be if he used a Deed of Variation to direct part of his inheritance to his children. (Which might be an excellent idea of course.)
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Audaxer
    cfw1994 wrote: »
    I’ll be the contrarian here & suggest I don’t think you need to consult an IFA at all.

Firstly, sorry to hear about your loss.
    Secondly, you say you are mortgage free living happily on £20k.
    You already have pensions lined up: you don’t say if they start from your planned age 55 great escape or later, but given this legacy, I don’t think it matters: 500k would last 20 years at £25k pa if it only made the rate of inflation!
    As the OP has a wife and kids, for future inheritance purposes I would think it does matter. While £500k could last 20 years at £25k per year if just left in savings, if invested wisely the OP could withdraw £15k to £20k per year, and possibly still have most of the £500k capital after 20 years. Accordingly I think it would better to learn what he can on here about investments, and either DIY invest, but in view of the amount its probably best to at least have a couple of initial discussions with IFAs before making any decisions.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,874 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Do you really view ISAs, pensions and premium bonds as "fancy tax avoidance schemes"?

I'd think most people view them as bog standard tax avoidance schemes.

A fancy tax avoidance scheme would be if he used a Deed of Variation to direct part of his inheritance to his children. (Which might be an excellent idea of course.)

No, not at all - why do you think I meant them?
    That is why I agreed with crv1963, who suggested those 'normal' bog standard schemes - perhaps re-read the advice given further up!

By 'fancy schemes', I mean 'things a clever IFA might know about that mere mortals don't' (think film schemes of past years!) - my point being the OP sounds like things have worked very well so far for them, and they can very likely manage the money for themselves.
    Audaxer wrote: »
    As the OP has a wife and kids, for future inheritance purposes I would think it does matter. While £500k could last 20 years at £25k per year if just left in savings, if invested wisely the OP could withdraw £15k to £20k per year, and possibly still have most of the £500k capital after 20 years. Accordingly I think it would better to learn what he can on here about investments, and either DIY invest, but in view of the amount its probably best to at least have a couple of initial discussions with IFAs before making any decisions.

Valid point, & your initial advice was good too - they can keep the sum 'ticking over' whilst they investigate more.

Again, my point is that I don't know many people of my age (few years older than the OP!) who are mortgage free, with kids, and in the solid sounding financial position the OP is in, & that there is a very good likelihood they can continue in that vein with no more than some hints & words of encouragement!

& I believe crv1963 kinda nailed the things I would think they would want to do.....but your point about inheritance is a good one too!
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Audaxer wrote: »

I've got the names of a couple of IFAs that come highly recommended by friends / family which I'll be having a chat with over the next couple of months - I will definitely not be rushed into anything.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What are your wifes and kids ages?
  • TBC15 wrote: »
    What are your wifes and kids ages?

Mrs Chris is mid forties (think I can get away with that)

The girls are 16 and 11.
  • TBC15
    TBC15 Posts: 1,452 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 14 December 2018 at 3:57PM
    Does Mrs Chris want to stop work same time as you?

At what age could your final salary pensions pensions start?
  • Audaxer
    Chrism03 wrote: »
    I've got the names of a couple of IFAs that come highly recommended by friends / family which I'll be having a chat with over the next couple of months - I will definitely not be rushed into anything.
    Good luck. It would be interesting to hear how you get on, and what initial and ongoing charges the IFAs propose. Experienced investors and IFAs that post here will be able to advise you whether their charges seem reasonable.

I would suggest you get the IFAs you visit to confirm they are definitely Independent Financial Advisers as I think a lot of FAs (Financial Advisors) try to give the impression they independent when they are not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure