Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benten69
    • By benten69 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 329Posts
    • 1,326Thanks
    benten69
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants?
    • 29th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    0 WOW
    Do you tip in restaurants? 29th Aug 16 at 8:59 AM
    Wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this, so admin, please move if needed.

Do you guys (and girls) tip when you go for a meal out? Personally I hate the idea, and it's even worse when you've got the waiter standing next to you as you select "No" on the card machine.

However, I always say that I don't get tips for doing anything extra and providing good levels of service in my job, so why should I pay others extra for a basic service their employers should be paying them for. In my previous role I saved the company 20,000 a day in penalties by delivering the project on time (a week early in fact), but I didn't get anything extra for it, because quite simply, it was my job.

Hence, I don't agree with tipping. They are doing a job & getting their hourly rate, so why do I need to subsidize it? Tesco don't tell me to pay extra if I go to a till vs going to the self checkout.

However, if there is a large group of us and say the bill comes out to 18 each, we'll all chuck in 20 and let the waiter / waitress keep the change. That's the only scenario it works in for me, as it saves everyone the hassle of finding change, waiting to get their change, etc.

What are peoples thoughts?
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -161,250 | Mar '18: -151,288.12

Page 16
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 5th Dec 18, 2:06 AM
    • 4,193 Posts
    • 8,203 Thanks
    Murphybear
    When I left school I got a job as a waitress in a Department store restaurant while I was waiting to go to University.

This was probably one of the hardest jobs I ever did. This was in the 1970s long before the minimum wage. We weren't paid much and were rushed off our feet especially in the lunch hour. It was hard to keep smiling when things hurt . We relied on tips back then. One really lovely man came in very often and always sat at one of my tables and always left me a big tip. He wasn't chatting me up as one of the other girls thought, he was my father

I always remember this job and will always leave a tip if service has been exceptionally good.
    • Domayne
    • By Domayne 7th Dec 18, 5:58 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    Domayne
    Yes if the service was good. If they add the service charge automatically then no, i do not.
    Saved so far - 23,398.20
    ~Selfish is the name that the jealous give to the free~
    Save 12k in 2019 #18 0/12000
    • yousuf22
    • By yousuf22 11th Dec 18, 11:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    yousuf22
    Tipping is not mandatory
    Tipping is neither mandatory nor its amount rates the quality of the service. I usually pay a fraction of money to the servers, because I do not like to fade away their expectations.
    Alipromocodes
    • New and Improved Me
    • By New and Improved Me 11th Dec 18, 12:53 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    New and Improved Me
    As a general rule - I don't 'Tip'.

When you go out to eat, the prices are clearly listed for the items you order.

The establishment has spent time and energy to work out these prices based on their costs (Materials/Labour/Running Costs etc.) and a % of Profit they want to make.

I pay the price listed on the menu for the items I order.

Once I've paid the listed price, why should I pay extra for the service.

The servers have been employed and are being paid for the job they are doing.

I don't expect anyone to 'Tip' me in my job, why are the servers any different.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,605Posts Today

6,810Users online

Martin's Twitter