Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• collectors
    collectors Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just gone to do my usual annual Summer order of oil to be quoted by Boilerjuice a horrific 48.95p/l.

I don't know whether to buy a minimal 500 litres and get the rest later if it comes down in price or bite the bullet, ring round Lincolnshire and beyond to try and get a few pennies off the whole 2000.

Disappointing.

Last year I paid £660 to fill the tank. Now I'm looking at £1030.

Strange! The post just before yours says Woldlink is around 32P ???
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just gone to do my usual annual Summer order of oil to be quoted by Boilerjuice a horrific 48.95p/l.

I don't know whether to buy a minimal 500 litres and get the rest later if it comes down in price or bite the bullet, ring round Lincolnshire and beyond to try and get a few pennies off the whole 2000.

Disappointing.

Last year I paid £660 to fill the tank. Now I'm looking at £1030.

Did you mean to post this under "Cheaper Oil for Fuel" rather than the "Bulk LPG" topic that this thread is about?
  • Trickmeister
    Options
    It's that time of year again, hitting the phones and internet to find alternatives to Calor. I should say that in the last 20 years they have always matched or bettered anything I've been able to find but I don't want them to take me for granted, so.....

CardiffGas - No contract, monthly pricing, currently 41p, £48pa tank

Callow Gas - 2 Year contract, monthly pricing, currently 41p, £76.65pa tank

Woldlink - 2 Year contract, using Avanti, 35.5p for Year 1, price cap of 3p/6 month period for Year 2.

However, I need some advice on how to read Calor's renewal offer. We currently pay 30ppl and "if you renew your contract your price will not increase before 31st March 2019". So far so good.

"You will also benefit from 'Our ongoing price promise' - A maximum increase of 2.5ppl to your fixed price in Year 2".

Now I read that to mean the fixed price ends 31/3/19, and will be subject to increases until the start of Year 2 (1/8/19), but there will be a maximum increase of 2.5ppl through Year 2.

On seeking clarification, Calor have told me that it means the fixed price ends on 31/3/19. The price will increase by 2.5ppl on 1/4/2019, and will be at a variable rate for the duration of the contract. However, the offer does not say that in any clear fashion at all, and I would argue that my initial interpretation is equally valid.

Any thoughts anyone?
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Any thoughts anyone?

My thought would be that somewhere in your contract will be a clause enabling Calor to ignore all these caps if the base price of lpg rises sufficiently, and raise the price to you as much as need be.. still, all contracts seem to have them these days
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Trickmeister
    Options
    Calor have confirmed their renewal offer (notwithstanding any 'exceptional circumstance' clauses)

Price of 30ppl for renewal confirmed to 31/3/19. Thereafter, and until the end of year 2 a capped increase of 2.6ppl.

Sounds a good deal to me.
  • Ozzysmate
    Ozzysmate Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good sounding deals is what they do best.

Good luck.
  • Iainip
    Options
    Hi I'm new to the forum, and not very familiar with how forums work so if there's mistakes please let me know. In reply to Sugarloaf I've also had a severe price hike for year 2 of my contract. I've just had a conversation with Flogas my supplier. The bottom line is my gas price was 0.3809ppl in April, and they applied an increase of 15.4p making it 53.49ppl, which was due to me coming out of 1st fixed year of contract, they have now applied a 7.5p increase making it 60.99ppl, a 60% increase on my original price in April. They have no interest in being helpful with the price, this despite the fact that I quoted 2 offers 36.9ppl from Calor and 34ppl from Avanti, the Calor offer capped at 2.5p in year 2. I then asked about a contract termination penalty, to get out of the contract, and was told that there was no option to do that. I have been with them in the various company changes for 30 years, but I won't be staying with them. Does anybody know if there is a governing body that I should complain to. It may be relevant to the pricing, my postcode is KY in Fife, also my quotes were through LPG Compare, very helpful people.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 296 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Iainip wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to the forum, and not very familiar with how forums work so if there's mistakes please let me know. In reply to Sugarloaf I've also had a severe price hike for year 2 of my contract. I've just had a conversation with Flogas my supplier. The bottom line is my gas price was 0.3809ppl in April, and they applied an increase of 15.4p making it 53.49ppl, which was due to me coming out of 1st fixed year of contract, they have now applied a 7.5p increase making it 60.99ppl, a 60% increase on my original price in April. They have no interest in being helpful with the price, this despite the fact that I quoted 2 offers 36.9ppl from Calor and 34ppl from Avanti, the Calor offer capped at 2.5p in year 2. I then asked about a contract termination penalty, to get out of the contract, and was told that there was no option to do that. I have been with them in the various company changes for 30 years, but I won't be staying with them. Does anybody know if there is a governing body that I should complain to. It may be relevant to the pricing, my postcode is KY in Fife, also my quotes were through LPG Compare, very helpful people.

I think that is just awful.. if someone is going to sting you like that there should be a chance to bail out. LPG is still a very uneven marketplace. I hope "Trickmeister" is reading this!

And a good question about the regulator.. I'm sure a bit of googling will find out who it is, I vaguely remember a discussion on this thread about it .. all I know is that it is not the standard Energy Ombudsman. There was a flurry of government interest around five years ago, when the OFT reviewed the lpg market .. but I don't know if a regulator/ombudsman was appointed.
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Cottage_Economy
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    Did you mean to post this under "Cheaper Oil for Fuel" rather than the "Bulk LPG" topic that this thread is about?

Yes, indeed I did! Not even sure what I was doing on this thread...I thought I was on the other one.
  • Ozzysmate
    Ozzysmate Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    molokoid wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
    Best advice is read through this thread. It's all been discussed at length.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback