PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm unfamiliar with tablets.... why would you have to take one into the kitchen while cooking? What does a speaker do.... I'm very confused as all these behaviours are alien to me.

I like to listen to music or the radio when I cook and don't want to play loudly from another room, i use my tablet for this :) I also take the tablet into the kitchen if I'm using a online recipe but there's not a lot of work surface space for that and it can get messy

Hope the tooth ache resolves itself but may be worth checking with a dentist as they have a habit of getting worst after hours or weekends :(

Wednesday hope your trip to the dentist is only a check up :)

Farway I have crocus out in the garden :) not many as the squirrels dug up my bulbs and I gave up :cool: I've also I brave daffodil in bud
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Sounds as though we might have the same speaker Brambling as I think that is where mine came from.
    I've no need or desire to have Alexa etc. though my sister uses siri on her phone and likes it:).
    PN - hope the tooth and boiler trouble get sorted out. I'm back to the dentist tomorrow, I'm not keen on going but needs must:cool:.
    Dried peas were steeped overnight and pressure cooked earlier, I'm just finishing a cuppa and then I'll get the veg chopped to so I can get the soup finished. It's a damp, grey & raw day here so a mug of soup at lunch time with my ham & coleslaw sarnie will be welcome.
    I have some pork fillet which I'll bash out to make schnitzel for dinner tonight. I'll probably have it with veg, spuds and peppercorn sauce.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I bought some marinated olives and a baton from Coop before the dentist and my stomach was rumbling during the appointment. I ate it with some salad when I got in.:D

I'm still hungry, I have some leftover tomato and sweetcorn pasta in the fridge.

I think I'm going to make curried lentil or chickpea/salsa wraps later. I don't have much food left until Thursday.
    Brambling wrote: »

Wednesday hope your trip to the dentist is only a check up :)

It was just a cleaning so not too bad.:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought some marinated olives and a baton from Coop ....I don't have much food left until Thursday.
    Could've bought a cheap loaf and some tins of beans.... they're filling :)

I'm still waiting for the gas man.... had the final two 4ldi hobnobs for lunch. Starving!!!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    I am very fond of Lidl's black cherry jam and have been known to eat it on ice cream as well as toast, bread, crackers, rice pudding.....

Darn, wish I'd known this. I bought the strawb one this morning, but my Ls seems a bit short on choice lately with the new one opening in town

Managed to remember carrots as well, plus gardening stuff now the seeds are in, toms, beetroot & dwarf French beans

PN hope boiler & teeth are both fixed and not a bank buster

Lunch was cheese on toast, with piccalilli

I've taken YS pack of boil in bag kipper fillets out to defrost. BBE was Nov 2017 so probably about due for using and freeing up a corner

I bought 2.5k of YS King Edwards the other day, so I'll have buttery mash with the kippers tonight

Brambling, I gave up with crocus for same reason as you, the few I've got left are are in pot which is not as easy for the squirrels. Noticed 3 daffs out in sheltered spot in my volunteer garden

I've not got Alexa or the like, I expect there is a use for them but none that I can think of unless I spent thousands on fully automated house. Alexa ! pasty, chips & beans, then wash up & make the bed;)

Edit update, need to get a chop out for tomorrow's dinner
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I remembered a cheese topped roll in the freezer. I figured if I nuke/defrosted that and dabbed some marg on it, that was the sort of food that I could scoff even if the gas man arrived.... and wouldn't create much washing up (just the dish it sits in to defrost + 1 knife).... so I went for it :)

That was the last of a 4-pack that I think I got "free" as L1dl were giving bread away on Xmas Eve about 5.30pm.

I got the 4ldi Smoked Haddock Fishcake out of the freezer, so that's been defrosting awhile. It's like these but definitely says smoked haddock https://www.aldi.co.uk/haddock-fishcakes/p/052551234037100 - bought months ago with a red sticker on, the other one was scoffed about a month ago.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I forgot I had a few spuds in the fridge so I made potato wedges for lunch.

I will have the leftover pasta later tonight.
    Could've bought a cheap loaf and some tins of beans.... they're filling :)

I do have beans at home, I just fancied the fresh bread when I walked past.:cool: I can't seem to walk past baked bread without being tempted.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    The gas man didn't come.... I sat here, kitchen cleared/accessible .... waited. Sat. Waited. Paced. Waited. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited. Walked outside. Walked back inside. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited.

Unfortunately .... I remembered I had a minty "aero" .... and ate the whole lot in one sitting. Doing that, I didn't even actually enjoy it.

*sighs*

Still leaving it a bit longer before I write the gas man off for today because, "you never know".... he's a local man, who is the "will pop in later" type - so he could still be popping in on his way home ....
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    The gas man didn't come.... I sat here, kitchen cleared/accessible .... waited. Sat. Waited. Paced. Waited. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited. Walked outside. Walked back inside. Looked out the windows. Sat. Waited.

Unfortunately .... I remembered I had a minty "aero" .... and ate the whole lot in one sitting. Doing that, I didn't even actually enjoy it.

*sighs*

Still leaving it a bit longer before I write the gas man off for today because, "you never know".... he's a local man, who is the "will pop in later" type - so he could still be popping in on his way home ....
    Mine's been n finally declared my gas fire dead, after 2 weeks faffing about :mad:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Commiserations CG & PN on your gas appliance woes :grouphug:
    Wednesday - like you I find fresh bread irrestible:)

Farway -My crocuses are up but no sign of any flowers yet, hopefully they'll appear soon. Seed-wise I don't think I need any this year but must get the seed box out and check soon.

Schnitzel has not been prepared as I decided earlier to tidy out a largish chest of drawers. I didn't think it would take very long but of course it took much longer than I thought would! Pork fillet will get frozen and it will be sausages instead as I have a pack in the fridge. I prepped carrot, parsnip & swede for mash earlier while I was doing the soup veg so at least that's done and it will go fine with bangers.
    Pea & ham soup was delicious and should be even better tomorrow after it has had time to "mature". I thoroughly enjoyed my ham and coleslaw sarnie, home cooked ham is so much better than even half-decent bought stuff IMHO. The original joint was on SO and cost me £6 for 1.5kg, half was cut into 4 gammon steaks and the other half left as a joint. For £3 I've got enough ham for 6 decent portions including the portion of bits I popped in the soup plus enough stock for a largeish pot of soup so pretty economical and when I think I'm £1 for 2-3 skinny slices of deli Ayrshire ham there's just no comparison. I must make more of an effort to cook a piece more often :). The pot of soup works out at about £1.50 (50p ham, 50p dried peas & 50p veg) plus the cooking costs which would be 25p max including cooking the ham. There's at least 5 portions of soup @ 35p per portion that sounds ok to me as a tin of Tesco Pea & Ham costs 45p :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback