Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 30th Oct 09, 12:23 PM
    • 939Posts
    • 724Thanks
    Garetha
    Nationwide Mobility - bath lift saga - beware!
    • 30th Oct 09, 12:23 PM
    Nationwide Mobility - bath lift saga - beware! 30th Oct 09 at 12:23 PM
    My father has been sold a 600 bath lift by Nationwide Mobility
    Sadly the suckers under the lift don't stick on the non-slip surface of the bath.
    The company will not take it back because he didn't reject it within 7 days of his ordering the item (it took 10 days to arrive!)
    They appear to be a particularly unhelpful company and they are not in a trade association.

PS in conclusion! to save you reading the whole thread

Nationwide Mobility finally collected the bath lift and gave a refund - but not before they denied all responsibility until I threatened court action.

Also note that the price of this bath lift was almost double the price I found elsewhere for the identical make / model.

They also sell Adjustable Beds; Walk In Bath; Bath Lifts; Bath Belts: Riser Recliner Chairs
    My advice:
    Check elsewhere before you consider Nationwide Mobility
    and don't expect good service or value!
    Last edited by Garetha; 10-02-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: summary of outcome
Page 2
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 20th Jan 10, 7:53 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    They've now, this week, sent an 'inspector' to report on the bath. He confirmed to me on the phone that all the suckers did not work on the bath surface.
    I'm waiting for confirmation that they will refund the full amount paid for the bath lift that doesn't work - plus costs and compensation. Otherwise it's a small claims action or a national newspaper or both.
    At least Paul Morris, director of Nationwide Mobility, is taking an interest and may not relish the adverse publicity of fleecing a dying man. (My dad is currently in hospital receiving treatment for cancer)

Interestingly - a Google search for nationwide mobility bath lift finds this thread at number 3 - number 1 being the Which report on Poor Service mobility companies. The power of MSE and Google! Let's hope potential customers of NM Google them first!

I'll let you all know the outcome - very soon I hope!
    Last edited by Garetha; 20-01-2010 at 9:24 PM.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 22nd Jan 10, 11:33 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,169 Thanks
    pipkin71
    They've now, this week, sent an 'inspector' to report on the bath. He confirmed to me on the phone that all the suckers did not work on the bath surface.
    I'm waiting for confirmation that they will refund the full amount paid for the bath lift that doesn't work - plus costs and compensation. Otherwise it's a small claims action or a national newspaper or both.
    At least Paul Morris, director of Nationwide Mobility, is taking an interest and may not relish the adverse publicity of fleecing a dying man. (My dad is currently in hospital receiving treatment for cancer)
    Originally posted by Garetha
    Hope you're dad's ok, Garetha.

Out of interest, can I ask what you're seeking compensation for?

If the suckers aren't connecting, perhaps they will simply replace them, if that would solve whatever the problem was???
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 22nd Jan 10, 2:48 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    Hope you're dad's ok, Garetha.

Out of interest, can I ask what you're seeking compensation for?

If the suckers aren't connecting, perhaps they will simply replace them, if that would solve whatever the problem was???
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    The bath surface doesn't work with suckers the surface is deliberately uneven.
    A new bath could be another solution! But that leaves a slippery bath surface for other users. My dad just wants to ditch this company!

Chasing an organisation which doesn't care is hard work! My dad tried and failed. I tried and failed until we threatened to take it further. I live 6 hours away - a 600 mile round trip and I had to make a special visit to establish the problem.

Dad is back home for the time being - supported by regular carers to help him through his day.
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 24th Jan 10, 12:07 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    In my search for evidence that the suckers should all work I've just found the following on the manufacturers website:

CAUTION!
    The seat may slip if the suction cups do not
    adhere properly.
    Before you use the bathlift, make sure that it
    is securely positioned and cannot tip over
    What a find! I don't think Nationwide Mobility will be able to wriggle out of that one!
    • Garetha
    • By Garetha 10th Feb 10, 8:38 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Garetha
    Nationwide Mobility have at last agreed to refund the 595 cost of the Beluga Bath Lift which their salesman said would work, knowing full well that there would be problems.
    They denied responsibility for months and only caved in when I started threatening the courts. I'd like to think they've been following this thread too.

The reality of this organisation is worse (I've not mentioned this before to avoid compromising the negotiations) - these bath lifts - identical make / model are only 320 elsewhere - brand new! No doubt other mobility items they sell are up to double the price of their competitors.

Thanks to all who responded with helpful advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

2,347Users online

Martin's Twitter