HATTON GARDEN METALS Feedback Thread

Comments

• MrsB2100
    MrsB2100 Posts: 793 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used them back in Spetember this year (and posted about them somewhere) - excellent service, very reliable and they paid more than I was quoted! (The gold prove had gone up overnight). I'm about to use them again - will be posting some more off tomorrow. Highly recommended by me - I WILL be using them again! :money:
    I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be gloomy, when the sun shines out your bum? :D
  • JMayer
    JMayer Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 19 November 2009 at 2:33PM
    Hi everyone, I have never used HGM and there is a bloody good reason. I heard about HGM on MSE about a year ago but before posting off my gold, i did some research...I have found with a simple google search, countless cases where HGM have spammed forums including MSE to increase business and bounce up google's natural listings. It looks like they have established their business by advertising on forums like this and pretending to be a customer. All it takes is for a MSE reader to use their service based on a false recommendation and write a review and all of a sudden, every MSE reader seems to be a HGM customer. Example below where I also found out that Mattafc is the owner of HGM. I think he has got smart now and stopped using his own name to spam the forums.e.g. forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=772763
    other examples include Sheffieldforum, UKhotdeals, yahoo answers. Nexuss - you are right to be weary of HGM spam.
  • Basically, as Nexuss says, take any recommendations on here with a pinch of salt.
  • I cant fault the service that i got from HGM .. my money was in the bank the day they received my gold ..would use them again and would also recommend them
  • I have dealt with Hatton garden metals in the past, and have always got a reasonable price for any scrap that i have sent in, they are quick in any response, email you with all the details and give you a choice.

Unlike Cash4gold who are in my opinion a total ripoff:mad:

I sent quite a sizeable amout of gold and silver to them and they sent me a check for less than £50.00.

So i sent them back the check, it took a while and numerous calls to get my jewellery back and also after reading many bad reviews on the web contacted trading standards.

They are dreadfull to deal with would not recomend them to anyone.

Hatton garden Metals offered £569 for the same stuff that i sent Cash4 gold. go figure people
  • m_13
    m_13 Posts: 990 Forumite
    I had a couple of single earrings - like teaspoons and socks, one always seems to disappear - and a broken chain. Went on a few sites and was offered half what HGM paid me. Did have to pay my own postage to get the gold there (unlike the others who send you an envelope) and foolishly asked for money to be paid via PayPal so had to pay fees to receive the money (duh!) but very pleased. The necklace along was worth more than I paid for it in 1989 (found the receipt inside the box).

No link to HGM more's the pity!
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    JMayer wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have never used HGM and there is a bloody good reason. I heard about HGM on MSE about a year ago but before posting off my gold, i did some research...I have found with a simple google search, countless cases where HGM have spammed forums including MSE to increase business and bounce up google's natural listings. It looks like they have established their business by advertising on forums like this and pretending to be a customer. All it takes is for a MSE reader to use their service based on a false recommendation and write a review and all of a sudden, every MSE reader seems to be a HGM customer. Example below where I also found out that Mattafc is the owner of HGM. I think he has got smart now and stopped using his own name to spam the forums.e.g. forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=772763
    other examples include Sheffieldforum, UKhotdeals, yahoo answers. Nexuss - you are right to be weary of HGM spam.

Interesting that your only posts are to put his company down though :rolleyes:

If you look on the great gold hunt you will find lots of recommendations for HGM already, and many people log in as guests onto this site, cruise the threads but do not wish to contribute. Thats fine that is their choice - personally its nice to see people coming onto the boards, it would be great to think they will stick around and contribute :D

My own view of this company has been posted above, professional and excellent customer service. From the amount of good publicity they had already had, I dont feel they would need to spam this forum, especially when you compare the other gold companies :eek:
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • Kimitatsu - The only reason I posted RE HGM was because this particular page is dedicated to HGM and they were one of the companies I researched. I was just sharing my findings.

Did you did you even visit the link from my last post? They have established a good reputation in forums by SPAMMING the forums in the first place.

Do a google search for "mattafc hattongardenmetals" and you will see for yourself how much HGM have been promoting themselves on forums.

This is similar to viral marketing. Any forum user who wants to sell gold will have heard of HGM, not because of the good service, but because of their presence in forums.

I am not saying that HGM do not offer a good price or a good service, I am just saying that the only reason that so many MSE readers have commented on HGM is because HGM have been promoting themselves on here for the last year or 2!
  • emsaver
    emsaver Posts: 10 Forumite
    • When did you use it 20 November 2009
    • What did you send it an old man's wedding ring we don't know who it belonged to but it was in with some jewellery we inherited, an engagement ring from my first engagement when I was 19 - very cheap and a chav gold bracelet I found on the street! 3 items in total - 2 rings, 1 bracelet, all 9 ct
    • How much did it promise you I didn't weigh it before I sent it
    • How much did it deliver £131
    • How efficient was the service posted Wednesday, emailed Friday, money in account Friday
    • If it didn't deliver the full amount, what was its reason no, an excellent service which I used after seeing recommendations on this website
    • Anything else other people should know a local policeman told me that this plethora of new postal gold companies has led to a rise in jewellery thefts, burglars are now targeting people's gold because they know they can use these services - no questions asked. I think there needs to be much more regulation of this growing industry!
  • We used Haddon a few months back. I researched gold pricing online to see what value our gold was worth on the trading markets and Haddon offered somewhere in the region of 85-90%.

Local companies (including those who currently spend a fortune on radio advertising in the Midlands) were only offering 50-55% of the market price.

Posted our gold off Special Delivery at a cost of about £5 and still cleared around £70 more than the high street offered.

I would suggest anyone selling gold does a good bit of research first - find out HOW gold is valued, what weight you have (and in what carat) and get an understanding of the maximum value BEFORE you start to ask for quotes - that way you'll see who is giving you a fair price.

I have nothing but praise for Haddon - fast response, emailed confirmation of price, money in my bank on the day the gold arrived at their office. Superb!

When did you use it approx Sept
    What did you send old gold jewellery, around 10 pieces
    How much did it promise you £189
    How much did it deliver £189
    How efficient was the service 1st class
    Anything else other people should know Companies who spend a fortune advertising their gold buying service have to make that money back somehow. The answer is THEY MAKE IT BACK FROM YOUR GOLD. Shop around....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback