Smeg Exploding Oven Door

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What an awful name for a company to call themselves, sounds very unclean....and smelly.

Blame Red Dwarf. ;)
  • CoolHotCold
    CoolHotCold Posts: 2,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oven doors do shatter, and are designed to fail in a 'safe' way.

If it was the inner door you'll have no problem, as that is usually an inherent fault, while outer door breakage is usually a sign of mishap (aka bashing it).

Not really sure why you went full guns blazing from the offset, and then posted here in a worse case scenario before actually hearing anything back.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cono1717 wrote: »
    Interesting fact - back when I was working for Currys (way before the Carphone merger) Seb James used to respond almost instantly on twitter - gradually the Store Medics (as they were called then) came and responded on his behalf now I don't think he responds to a lot.

Seb's job role changed on the merger - he's no longer head of UK & Ireland, and now looks after international operations too.

Katie Bickerstaffe stepped in to his place, but I don't know what her social media presence is like...
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 October 2016 at 8:44PM
    Options
    I wonder if glass breakage is covered in the warantee? Glass breakage is the one thing usually excluded as it is usually a result of an impact. Safety glass (as fitted to ovens) can shatter some time after an impact.
    The self cleaning mode is interesting though, what temp does it heat the oven to for it to work? Glass is tempered (heat treated) during manufacture at about 750 degrees, self cleaning may actually be quite a bit higher than this, which may I suppose result in failure.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pyroclictic? Is that a real word? :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glass breakage is the one thing usually excluded as it is usually a result of an impact. Safety glass (as fitted to ovens) can shatter some time after an impact.
    As already mentioned, if it's the inner glass which has shattered there should be no problem getting a replacement under Warranty. The outer is indeed generally only damaged by a knock or other impact.

No point speculating further, only an physical inspection will reveal what's at fault here...
    hollydays wrote: »
    Pyroclictic? Is that a real word? :(
    Looks to be a trademarked name of the Oven's cleaning process. Probably derived from "Pyroclastic".
  • ScaredWitless
    Options
    "Pyroclictic" didn't realise I had misspelt!!

Anyway I've had a good result.

Currys have apologised and are sending me a £50 voucher in the post, and a new replacement cooker being delivered tomorrow, they are also taking the damaged one away for nothing.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Anyway I've had a good result.
    Regardless, next time don't be so quick off the mark with complaints to the "CEO".

Why have they awarded you a £50 voucher?
  • ScaredWitless
    Options
    With complaints like faulty goods, its always best to go to the CEO.

£50 voucher was to apologise for the incident occurring as a gesture of goodwill by Currys.

Its being delivered sometime this morning.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes but it's likely you never get a response from the CEO you get a response from the same customer service agent who would have responded had you just gone to head office.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure