NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back

Comments

• I was seconded under this scheme between 2010-2013 and have contacted the tax office who after 3 months have no acknowledged my letter but said that my trust need to apply on my behalf - I've now got back in touch with payroll to see if they will help since it was their suggestion I contact the tax office directly. Hoping for a positive outcome
    Oct 2016 current unsecured debt £14461.31
  • It is great that you received your full salary whilst training, but not everyone has. I lost 20% of mine. I have also paid tax and NI for the past thirty plus years ... so I have no qualms claiming. Each case is individual, and therefore should be judged so.
  • I've finally heard back about my claim - they've agreed I should never have paid NI and are issuing a refund for £1933!! :j

They're apparently responding about tax in a separate letter, so keep your fingers crossed for me...:beer:
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • Hi, does anyone know why this is only applicable post-1999? I studied full time for a year from 1996-1997, I was previously employed by the NHS and have all my payslips for that time showing I paid tax and NI (and also pension contributions). I also have a letter for the Trust who sponsored me; is it worth me applying for a refund?
  • butterfly72
    butterfly72 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 27 November 2016 at 11:44PM
    I've finally heard back about my claim - they've agreed I should never have paid NI and are issuing a refund for £1933!! :j

They're apparently responding about tax in a separate letter, so keep your fingers crossed for me...:beer:

Wow! That's a decent amount!!

Did you do a one year course and what was your wage at that time? My HR dept has said that if we were earning more than 15K we can't get the rebates. (edited as I've seen you did do a one year course!).

I've got a total of 4 years I could potentially claim for!
    £2019 in 2019 #44 - 864.06/2019
  • Hi
    I did my year long course prior to 1999; are there any ways to claim prior to 1999?
    Thank you
  • Hi I was a seconded student nurse from 2006-2009 on a band 2, I sent in my claim direct using the unison guideline, as my trust had never heard of the refund scheme, and I didn't work for them anymore. Took about 2 months to acknowledge my claim and a week later I recieved £2400 NI refund,with advice tax being dealt with separately, don't get me wrong I'm very happy with this but I claimed child tax credit at the time so will probably end up paying it all back to them! Unless anyone knows if they class my husband as the claimant, rather than me?
  • Hello!

Any advice would be welcome. I completed my nurse training via the open university between 2009-2013. I was a student for 26hrs per week and a Nursing assistant 11.5hrs.

I have contacted HMRC who say I am not entitled to anything. Is this because the open university isn't recognised as a training establishment or because of the hours I worked?
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    adie_11 wrote: »
    Hello!

Any advice would be welcome. I completed my nurse training via the open university between 2009-2013. I was a student for 26hrs per week and a Nursing assistant 11.5hrs.

I have contacted HMRC who say I am not entitled to anything. Is this because the open university isn't recognised as a training establishment or because of the hours I worked?

From reading the article it seems you can only claim a refund if you studied full time. Open University is only classed as part time studying, no matter how many credits you study.
  • Wow! That's a decent amount!!

Did you do a one year course and what was your wage at that time? My HR dept has said that if we were earning more than 15K we can't get the rebates. (edited as I've seen you did do a one year course!).

I've got a total of 4 years I could potentially claim for!

Hi Butterfly 72,

yes this was a one year course and I earned £23,200 - the cap doesn't seem to apply at all! I know quite a few who've claimed and they all earned over £15k. None of them have been rejected!

Debbie
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family