2016 - a year of change

Comments

• the persian chicken was AMAZING!! I am so lucky to have the boy who is willing to cook sometimes, and properly too. Tuesday I put prescription in but didn't wait as it was just about to close. £6.19 on tampax and painkillers for the pains! BUT I sold my old engagement ring and got £6,000! It was valued at £11,500 but think that was more re-make value and jeweller who made it offered me £5,500 but I said give me £6,000 an I'll take it. He will probably sell it for a lot more but it had been sitting there for years for sale and hadn't gone and as my best mate says, "cash is king", so I picked up the cheque yesterday and banked it. That will go towards the house.

The boy has had a good run this week too. He sold his car for £130 (as it was a real wreck) and put £150 on Trump to be elected at 4/1. He then got a free £30 bet and also put that on Trump so came out with £870! He said he had done it to hedge against the loss on his shares if Trump got elected but his shares have actually weathered it ok so he paid for dinner weds night when we went out.

I swear though my body is telling me to stop drinking. I don't drink very often now (usually only once a week) and nowhere near as much as I used to volume wise. I had 1 glass of wine with dinner on wednesday and didn't sleep well and felt pretty rubbish yesterday. I do wonder if it's because subconsciously my body knows we are going to be trying for a baby next year so is trying to wean me off it? I feel I should give up completely but it's hard as I love the taste of wine and beer!

Weds was a no spend day for me. Yesterday I bought the boy some jelly tots and then 2 packs of crisps and milk on way home plus prescription so was about £16.50. Dinner last night was from stores.

Today I am doing the "big shop" though it won't be that big this week as I am away next week working in one of our other offices. Dreading it as it's our main office and I feel very uncomfortable there. Everything will, however, be paid for by the firm and seeing my friend monday night so my dinner with her will be paid for which is nice.

As the boy has cooked a lot recently I am cooking him a nice dinner tonight so need to get the stuff from that. But our shopping list is quite small as he has said he will work through what is in the freezer (and probably have a few fish finger sandwiches!) and he's out with mates on weds night anyway.

Must try and do something productive with my day off. Been up since 830 and so far all I've done is unload and load the dishwasher, put some laundry on, called my mum and drunk 2 cups of coffee!
    I want to be a writer
  • so much for small shopping list - still came out at £75!!!! Almost £11 of it was on candles for the lounge as we tend to have those on in an evening and a small lamp as it is much nicer than the big light (in the words of peter kay). And bought lunch for the boy and I so that was around £7 but I barely bought anything. Making the boy lamb, butternut squash and prune tagine with couscous for tea followed by hot chocolate fondant and vanilla ice cream. Suppose the lamb for that was almost £8 and ice cream was £3. It just all adds up. I swear supermarket shopping never used to be this expensive.
    I want to be a writer
  • So, been MIA all week as was in our other office and didn't take my laptop so not logged on. The tagine came out beautifully on friday night and the boy appreciated it. Chocolate fondants came out lovely too. Sat we had 2 house viewings. First one we saw was AMAZING! But right at top of our budget and 100k over what the boy had wanted to spend. But he is realising we are probably going to have to be looking at stuff at top of our budget or just over and hope to haggle them down if we are going to get anything near what we want. Even though we loved it, it's not in the exact area we want and also has its limitations in terms of size, but the finish and outlook was just beautiful. Then we went to see another house, way under our budget but on busy road, rooms tidy and so damp. A friend of mine had seen it a few years ago and said it was bad damp wise. So that was a no.

Sat night we went out for drinks and dinner with friends - 70 each - was good night but we were hungover the next day and did nothing on sunday but eat rubbish.

Mon-thurs (3 nights away) was in our main office which wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but still pretty rubbish. Mon night saw my friend which was ok but the food was awful. £19 and will be paid for by work. Have kept receipts for all my lunches as want to claim those back. Im only doing so because normally I take my lunch in so they should really pay me back as I didn't want to go to the other office. And it's only for 4 sandwiches but they add up to around £16 so I don't want to pay it. Tues and Weds nights I went to the gym in the hotel and one night had room service and one night nipped out to a chain restaurant. It was pretty rubbish they didn't see if I wanted to do anything with the team actually. Anyway, back now and am not going to go for 3 nights next time. If I need to go again I'll either day trip or one night.

Bought a lovely coat out of my birthday money (birthday was in sept but saved it to spend on something nice) so pleased with that.

The boy has painted the stairs whilst I've been away and they look awesome. He made me piri piri chicken, sweet pot wedges and veg last night the angel.

Today have lunch with my friend but should be cheapish (no more than £15) then need to get the cat some more food (£30 between me and the boy) then need to get some cheese and wine as going to a friends tonight for a cheese and wine night!

Tomorrow we have another viewing and need to do big shop. I am going to try to keep us in budget. We got paid today early as we normally get paid on 20th but where that falls on a weekend we get paid the friday before. So I want to eek out this month's budget to cover our food shop. I bought a bunch of clothes and underwear last week £130 but didn't try them on so if they don't fit or I don't like them on I'll take them back and if I do, I'll be well within budget. Got 2 nice jumpers as well with voucher boy's mum gave me for my birthday.

Now until xmas is going to get expensive - must try to reign it in where I can!
    I want to be a writer
  • Lunch with friend was more than anticipated (£21.50) as ended up having a glass of wine and a coffee but was a good catch up (food not so good!). I then bought a nice bottle of wine and some cheese so that was about another £14. Then went to friends on fri night - ate far too much cheese and drank far too much wine but probably won't see those friends again until after xmas so has to be done!

Sat we had a viewing - not for us. Lovely listed property but opposite a pub (which we didn't realise) so cue noise at night, parking was horrendo and garden wasn't really a garden. Plus listed and 1700's screams high maintenance!! We did a big shop plus b&q and then went out for lunch (food awful again - seemed to be a theme last week) so with all those plus the b&q in last month's budget I was £15.96 over. Not too bad but had wanted to save more.

Sat night we stayed in and the boy cooked lamb dopiaza which was v spicy! Then early night. Though woken up for a couple of hours by the storms - we lost a fence panel! Sun we started working on painting our bedroom and went to the boy's mums and she did a roast - few hours with his niece and nephew which was nice then home and boy did more painting and I cleaned kitchen and another early night!

Today I did not want to go to work and couldn't motivate myself. I still hate being a lawyer though not as much as before. Had to buy a few bits of food at lunch plus my lunch as boy didn't make it this morning as we both ran out of time. But not too much wonga.

Left bang on 5 and now a chicken apricot and lemon stew with harissa is cooking - hoping it's going to be nice. Helped the boy move some more stuff out of our room and he is doing more painting.

We have another viewing Saturday. House is on at an ok price but would need extending and work. In the area we want as nice quiet lane so will see how it goes. Though now our house is getting sorted I am a bit not wanting to leave - why do we only spruce our houses up when we want to sell rather than when we are living in them every day?!
    I want to be a writer
  • Stew was quite nice though not the best thing I've cooked - leftovers for lunch today. Slept ok last night which is surprising as we are in spare room given our room is half painted. Boy doing a sterling job - it is going to look so good! Seen another house we like on the internet, just come on the market so will try to see that this weekend also.

I have to stop being depressed about work. It really isn't that bad. I get to sit in a nice warm office with free tea, coffee and sometimes food. All I have to do is 28 hours a week and it's mainly reading and digesting law judgments then drafting up guidance notes and precedent documents - it's taxing in terms of those things are not always easy to read and interpret (one judgment yesterday was 50 pages) but I don't have to go to court or deal with clients and can chart my own course. It could be a lot worse.

Tonight I am going to run if it kills me. Used the gym twice whilst I was away and it's less than 4 weeks until we go to nyc and I need to lose some weight!

Submitting our insurance claim for last cancelled holiday today - suspect they will reject it saying I haven't disclosed my medical history but didn't realise I needed to until I wanted to submit a claim! Will just have to see what happens but hope they pay it.
    I want to be a writer
  • lulabelle
    lulabelle Posts: 944 Forumite
    edited 24 November 2016 at 7:19PM
    Sadly I didn't run and haven't all week. I really do need to get myself motivated but losing weight for NYC does not look like it's happening! Spent a little bit this week but not too much. Had a work thing last night - drinks and canapes and am proud of self as went and drank 2 sparkling waters even though there was champagne on offer. Demolished a load of canap!s though and had dinner after (though I only had a little bit of what I'd cooked).

Tonight boy is working late so will get tea ready (bought from m&*) today - bit of an expense as lamb and veg but its really nice and I couldn't think of what else to get.

My working week is over - yay!!! Tomorrow I want to have a short lie in (say 830) then get up and get cracking on my book. We are viewing a house at 1115 then I'll do weekly shop and just swing by boy's work on way back so he can help me in with the bags (we have no parking so have to pull up on road, go up some steps and a lane and then across garden - not me being lazy!!). Hoping this week's shop will be cheaper than usual as I am out all day sat and sat night (so boy will have to fend for himself food wise like I have to tomorrow night - see below) and we are at boy's mums sunday lunch. So think I will just get stuff for 4 nights and lunches as boy out next thurs night. I then need to try on the stuff I bought the other week and take it back if it doesn't fit.

The boy is out with work tomorrow night so I am planning a 5pm run (weather permitting!) and then grabbing a pizza on way home. Can't wait to snuggle up on sofa with the cat and watch secrets & lies and conviction!

Sat we are viewing 2 houses, then I have a girls' xmas lunch followed by a hen do. I've already paid for my hen do meal and am planning on not drinking (as it really isn't agreeing with me at the moment) so hoping both will be relatively cheap. Seeing as I am having dinner on the hen I might see if I can get away with only one course just paying for that/tip on girls lunch.
    I want to be a writer
  • So am up. But not yet working on book. Didn't sleep well last night as we are in spare room and then the boy got up at 530 and was painting so kept me awake!! I think he is just desperate to get back into our room hence he's going for it!!!

Have made shopping list and so hoping to limit our usually expensive weekly shop, especially as the boy is not coming with me! Though he has announced this morning we need more floor paint. It irks that we are having to spend money on this house as I think we will get less then I paid for it but I also know we have to make it as immaculate as possible to get a sale. Only 6 weeks until it goes on the market!!!
    I want to be a writer
  • Other than salad stuff for lunches did the shop. Was £98 so will be another say £5-6 for lunches. Better than normal yet still too much. £4.50 was on an xmas present for the boy's nephew and 2 boxes of lindt balls somehow made their way into the trolley! Then another £15.82 on floor paint - hoping the boy can eek it out to cover the remainder.

Also within that bought my food for tonight - decided that after the viewing, shopping (3 shops) then an hour at the boy's mum's seeing his nephew and niece, I probably wouldn't relish having to go out walking in the cold to get my pizza (not running as too lazy plus it is pretty windy). So got duck spring rolls, a penang curry and rice. Also included was both our lunches so overall not too bad. Resisted the urge to buy wine even though I really wanted to!!!

Viewing went well - nice house - possibility to extend although minimal. Will see if it is still on the market when (IF!) mine goes under offer! That's 2 out of 5 we like. 2 more to see tomorrow then expect that will be it until the new year.

Boy out tonight so going to watch secrets & lies and conviction with my lovely food followed by a salted caramel and chocolate pot!
    I want to be a writer
  • Hi lullabelle - I note you are writing your book. Have you written any short stories so far as a tester?
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Hi lullabelle - I note you are writing your book. Have you written any short stories so far as a tester?

Hey, no I haven't. I had an idea for a kid's book years ago and started on that though only about a quarter of the way through. Funnily enough, my mum did a creative writing course and suggested I try short stories!!
    I want to be a writer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport