Skinny Latte's Mortgage Mugging

Options

Comments

• Brogden
    Brogden Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    You're right SH, excercise really is food for the soul, I need to find a way to get some into my working week, I'm still looking for a wall planner!

Some interesting things happened today

• I filled in a form for new mortgage co to request a settlement figure, it's getting closer :D
    • DS got a test cancellation and his driving test is Thursday :eek:
    • DD finally started her new job
    • I got an email at work confirming our 2015 bonus, it will be paid 26th April, and we have until Friday to submit our form to have it paid into our pensions, oh crikey I don't know what to do, shall I sign it away in to the big black hole?
    • My t0pcashback account topped £1000 yay :T
    • I had a NSD
    I'm tired out now with all that zzz

Sign the bonus away Skinny :D. It is looking like it might be one of the last chances you will have to get HRT relief. Into the black hole with it :eek:.

Whilst on the subject.......you recently did an SOA and........(I hate the term) statement of Net Worth. Guess what you forgot? Your pension :eek:!!

Maybe you are not like me but the pension is the one thing that makes me feel that everything will be OK :)!! It may be in trust and technically not in your estate but guess who can use it sensibly at a certain age? You :cool:.

Broggers x
  • Skinnylatte
    Options
    A quick up date before I go to bed. Broggers you will be so proud of me. I put all of my bonus in my pension, a whole fat £5k all gone in to the black hole :eek:

Are the pension tax breaks ending?

And DS passed his driving test :T:T haven't seen him since :(

AND I won a £40 pizza express voucher :j

What a week :D
    Pay off Car Loan £17,047 £10580 by Christmas 2022

Mortgage 1 @ 23/03/2019 [STRIKE]£101297[/STRIKE]
    £84457 16.6% DI [STRIKE]£6.95[/STRIKE] £6.15
    Mortgage 2 @ 12/04/2015 [STRIKE]£136121[/STRIKE]
    £100,546 26.1
    % DI [STRIKE]£9.13[/STRIKE] £6.07
    1st LBM 02/06/2013 £[STRIKE]21595[/STRIKE] Debt Free Day 27/03/2015

• hiddenshadow
    Options
    Wow, great week! :)
  • MrandMrstrying
    Options
    Wow nice bonus there.
    One of the things I like about mortgages is that you can count down the thousands, pounds and pennies . Most of my spare money that I have had has gone to overpaying the mortgage when possible. Its nice to see something extra going off the mortgage.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Well done to DS
    and to you..mmm now what could I do with £5k.?.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Great week Skinny and well done to DS too. Hope you see him soon.

There's rumour the 40% tax relief for pensions will disappear in the March budget, leaving the maximum of 20%. At least you turned your £5k bonus into £7k+ by adding it now :T

Hope the cat is ok!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Brogden
    Brogden Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    Ali-OK wrote: »

There's rumour the 40% tax relief for pensions will disappear in the March budget, leaving the maximum of 20%. At least you turned your £5k bonus into £7k+ by adding it now :T

Hope the cat is ok!

Well done on the pension bonus sacrifice Skinny :).

As Ali says, relief on contributions at the higher rate is certainly in jeopardy. The pathetic political circus is on full throttle as it always has been and will be for the rest of our lives and beyond.

The latest suggestion would seem to be relief at 25% not 20%! It means it's worth less to a higher rate tax payer but more to a basic rate texpayer paying tax at 20 %.

Absolutely ridiculous. It's OK 'evening things up' but how does one get tax relief that's 5% more than the tax one may be due to pay? How come a non-tax payer get's tax relief when they don't even pay tax? It's a total and complete joke :mad: !!!

I'm not being negative though :). It is pathetic but in it's uselessness it is the most valuable thing we have ever been given. They probably don't even have the brains to realise how good it is for us or they'd take it off us :p !!

Remember Skinny....you can access at age 55 so only 30 years to go ;) !!

Broggers x
  • Thistlewhistle
    Options
    A quick up date before I go to bed. Broggers you will be so proud of me. I put all of my bonus in my pension, a whole fat £5k all gone in to the black hole :eek:

Are the pension tax breaks ending?

And DS passed his driving test :T:T haven't seen him since :(

AND I won a £40 pizza express voucher :j

What a week :D

Wow SkinnyLatte,

Bumper week for you there - good job!!!! :T
    I got my tax refund today so I'm celebrating too - not quite £5k but £1613.92 - I won't say no!!! :rotfl:

T:D
    Mortgage at end 05/2007: £90200
    Mortgage at end 08/2018: £71646 paid £18354 (20.5%)
    MFD: :eek:Original:05/2042:eek:
    Car Finance: £8225 : £6392 (22.2% paid off)
    CC Debt (0% until 06/2020): £5640 : £4400 (21.7% paid off)

Age of Money at 31/08/2018 = 23 days

YNAB is changing the way I live my life....and spend my money!!
  • Skinnylatte
    Options
    Wow nice bonus there.
    One of the things I like about mortgages is that you can count down the thousands, pounds and pennies . Most of my spare money that I have had has gone to overpaying the mortgage when possible. Its nice to see something extra going off the mortgage.
    You're right there, although it seems for ever, it seemed to take me months to get over 1%, but small steps! Well done on your over payments.
    Well done to DS
    and to you..mmm now what could I do with £5k.?.
    I know what I could do with it too, although after the tax man would have got his hands on it there would have been less than £3k :(

Hope the cat is ok!
    Gosh I hope that is just a rumour, I had big plans for pension payments :(
    The cat is fine now, I think it was self invoked as I wouldn't get up and feed him! A ploy to get me out of bed
    Remember Skinny....you can access at age 55 so only 30 years to go ;) !!

Broggers x
    Aye, still a while to go yet, just think how much it'll be worth then :T
    Wow SkinnyLatte,

Bumper week for you there - good job!!!! :T
    I got my tax refund today so I'm celebrating too - not quite £5k but £1613.92 - I won't say no!!! :rotfl:

T:D
    Congratulations on your tax refund :T:T make it work for you!

Happy valentines day peeps :smileyhea

This weekend has been a good one. I went out for a doggy walk with my friend yesterday, feel a bit sore today though, still battling with the getting fit thing, and still need a wall planner!

Went up to the buddhist centre today for an 'alternative valentines'. A friend and her DD came to and so did my DD. It was a lovely day, the meditation theme was 'positive thinking'.
    Back home I cooked a heap of meals for this week, and made some really good cheese straws with some pastry and bacon I found in the bottom of the freezer.

One thing I had been doing is to bulk buy on the items I regularly get. Like cadbury's hot chocolate, it's my evening treat. I used to use the mysupermarket app to find where they're cheapest, but for some reason I'd stopped. Anyhow app is now reinstalled and I've found chocolate is half price at sainsbobs. I must keep an eye on my other regular buys too. Not everything can be purchased in Aldini!

There's been talk of holidays on here recently. I do want to book a hot holiday at some point, but I'll wait to see if DD is going abroad this year first. I have a few things lined up, including a couple of long cycle rides 2-3 days and a festival. Plus next month a weekend in Dublin to country2country. I think I should curtail it at that.
    Although I do have 2 free hotel nights in the bag from various loyalty schemes :D

I have seen DS briefly, mainly at meal times! He has been very productive giving people 'lifts' with his new found freedom, and earned himself £30 on saturday.
    It's half term next week, and he's working all week doing property maintenance, so I'll see little of him. I think he will actually have more disposaable income than me.

Well, passed my bedtime now and time for my hotchoc xx
    Pay off Car Loan £17,047 £10580 by Christmas 2022

Mortgage 1 @ 23/03/2019 [STRIKE]£101297[/STRIKE]
    £84457 16.6% DI [STRIKE]£6.95[/STRIKE] £6.15
    Mortgage 2 @ 12/04/2015 [STRIKE]£136121[/STRIKE]
    £100,546 26.1
    % DI [STRIKE]£9.13[/STRIKE] £6.07
    1st LBM 02/06/2013 £[STRIKE]21595[/STRIKE] Debt Free Day 27/03/2015

• hiddenshadow
    Options
    Love the sound of the positive thinking meditation and the nightly hot chocolate! :) Both sound like great treats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure