PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 26 July 2016 at 9:47AM
    Morning all :D

I will join you on your quest to kondo the pounds as I put a joyful top on this morning and to say its 'snug' is pushing it a bit Sausage skin is more apt :o
    I have been so busy I have not been eating that well :o and have had a bad hip(old age creeping up on me ) So have not run very much sadly.But have been given the all clear to start back now :D

I will start on August the 1st until the end of september :)

Remember the lady I told you about who brought the clothes to give people a chance at interviews etc.
    She contacted me yesterday on the dreaded FB and linked me to her fundraising page :(

To say I felt ashamed was an understatement

She lends people outfits for interviews/funerals/ weddings if they cant afford anything.
    She sells on her page to raise funds for charity and to buy clothes for families and children.
    She does this for everybody.
    She does a weekly payment set up up most people are paying at 50p/£1 a week.
    She gives her regular customers (as she calls them) a gift a week just to cheer them up and show them someone cares :( Maybe a childs top/socks/ pants/shorts. As she knows what size her customers children are.
    She does 2 food parcels a week and they go to the most needy.

She also delivers to different areas on certain days so people see someone once a week. She covers about a 50 mile area to drop off their gifts or to pick up payment or drop things off.

She helps everybody who needs it.

When you see a small item for sale maybe kids vests for 20p and she has a list of people saying 'me please' Its sad.

Also poeple are saying so and so would like this (whatever) please as they dont have internet or a phone.

I am going to meet up with next week and my god I am going to help this women in which ever way I can. She and her (customers) are proud you can just tell.So I will give her some clothes /kitchen bits etc to start with and take it from there.

I have always had a problem with clothes as you all know and still have to many loads too many.
    So I will also be kondoing again (7th/8th/9th) time I have lost count and will pass the whole lot on to her.

When I read her page I am so so lucky and there for the grace of god go I .

Mav x

She works full time as a mental health nurse as well as doing all this the women is amazing superwomen for real !

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Morning all
    She sounds an exceptionally kind and lovely lady Mavvy.

It was lovely to meet up with you, I finished another book on the beach the next day so Kondoed that to one of the CSs in the town before we left. Looking forward to coming back August.
    Spent yesterday kondoing the garage as Dh was still of work, 4 bags ready for the CS, 2 full of old clothing and stuff for the clothes collection and 1 for rubbish. DH took a tatty hold-all full of stuff into work for the recycling skip so garage is looking much clearer. I've still got about 5 bags of martial arts suits of various sizes from when we used to run a club to wash and pair up before they can go to the CS. Weather is good so I'm working slowly through those, hoping that we can do a CS run at the weekend.

Plan to kondo the overgrown hedge today.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mav - she sounds like an amazing lady. If you start working with her maybe you can use her page as your home page for MSE. If she takes donations of 'stuff' then maybe we could add her to the links at the start of this thread of places to kondo things too. Plenty of us are looking for places to pass on our clothes/kids clothes etc to.

I have a bootload of bits of staircase to drop off at the tip later today. The garden is looking clearer as well as the garage. My 'bonfire' on sunday helped with some of the larger garden bits (tree roots/large branches) and the rest has now been dumped on the island opposite (no one can tell as the conservation people have just been through and hacked down branches and nettles and piled up weed from the river).

I also have a mole, so need to set some traps as he's making a bit of a mess. And the water voles tend to use the mole runs too and end up popping up all over the garden!

I plan to mow at some point this afternoon, as apparently we will be getting rain tomorrow.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    edited 26 July 2016 at 1:18PM
    Just scratched my legs to ribbons trying to tame the scrubland that is the local parks flower bed at the side of my house! It's is full of triffids wY taller than me that haven't been cut since I last did it two years ago. I've managed to get the ones along the side of the house down to my height so it looks a bit better. Nettles and thistles that are blowing their seeds over into my front garden, the hedge between us and neighbour's is trimmed, just need to lug the garden recycling bin round to the front to pick up the clippings (from our hedge, I've left all the others on the park)

Need a cuppa now
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Baby banks usually work in similar ways to food banks (referral basis to local families in crisis) and are a fab place to donate items to. I work with Gloucestershire Bundles - there we take toiletries (baby/ children's/adult) inc nappies, wipes, breast pads, maternity pads, sanitary items, maternity clothes, baby clothes through to children's clothes age 13, most nursery items (bouncy seats, sterilisers, muslin cloths, cots, moses baskets, bedding, toys, books, high chairs, stair gates, pushchairs/ prams) Not all will take all of these items - it will depend on the number of volunteers/ size of premises. (We don't take mattresses and car seats)

Here is a link to a map of baby banks in the UK: https://www.stripeystork.org.uk/babybanks. Please consider contacting your local organisation (if there is one!) if you are looking to rehome unwanted maternity/ baby/ children's items/ excess toiletries :)

Thank you x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Just phoned the local council as the scrub along side us is now turning into a fly tipping ground, spotted amongst other things a large exercise machine, loads of rubble, car parts and a load of crockery and a large glass aquarium!!! I've pointed out that it hasn't been maintained or weeded for over a year so is full of thistles brambles and nettles which is unacceptable so near to a child's play area and now glass and crockery is being dumped there a child or dog could get badly cut. I have been promised something will be done. When the planting was first done they had a contract to have it maintained and she seemed surprised that it wasn't still being carried out.
    SPC~12 ot 124

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mavvymoo wrote: »
    Remember the lady I told you about who brought the clothes to give people a chance at interviews etc.
    She contacted me yesterday on the dreaded FB and linked me to her fundraising page :(

To say I felt ashamed was an understatement

She works full time as a mental health nurse as well as doing all this the women is amazing superwomen for real !
    She *does* sound amazing, Mav, but there's absolutely nothing for you to be ashamed of - you're a provider for her now, as well as helping the charity shops you source from, and your other customers. You're doing brilliantly.

MrsMoneypenny - good for you, getting the open space sorted. It's started me wondering whether you could plant some attractive perennials there that are also food plants or something useful - comfrey springs to mind, to crowd out the nettles and thistles, or is that asking for trouble?
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mrs-moneypenny
    It's got huge shrubs there at the mo orange blossom at the back and big spiky triffid things along the front along the side of our house, the bit by our wall has some kind of bramble rose and a low hedge thing, but they get wee'd on by both dogs and humans so I wouldn't want to put anything edible there. It really just annoys me that it's not cared for or tended so is getting choked by weeds and brambles.
    The church I went to in rugby for my brothers children's christening S had wonderful raised beds in front of the church filled with fruit and vegetables 'for anyone who needed them' with signs saying what they we and invitations to plant your excess either seeds or plants along with a rota for anyone to Jin that wanted to help tend them. I thought it was a wonderful idea. I've heard of similar things in other areas, but sadly I don't think it would work here. The kids would rip it up or it would just get taken by those Not it in real need
    SPC~12 ot 124

• mavvymoo
    mavvymoo Posts: 2,152
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I think I felt ashamed as I have so much compared to some. :o

Mrs MP I have finished 'Elizabeth is missing' and I loved it will pass it on now in the true MK style :) Thank you. Looking forward to catching up in August glad you had a lovely time :D

Had a lovely 5 mins earlier watching a Green woodpecker with its Chick :D It was on a tree right by my window lucky quite high. I rarely see these but have seen the parents a few times this year.So must have nested somewhere close.:) It really is the little things that bring the most joy to me.I heard it before I saw them. Then noticed Lola stalking past lol.

Took the dog out this afternoon and sat in the local church grave yard on a bench enjoying the peace and quiet. When it suddenly dawned on me when did the grave yard fill up with people I have known. :eek: and where does that time go. It really is shocking looking at dates on the headstones and seeing it was 2012 when to me it seems like 4 weeks ago and not 4 years.

Time stops for no man ! We need to remember this and make the most of every day :)

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice
    :j
    Crazy Clothes challenge £300/£48 and 5 months /0 without spending :T

• kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,809
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Morning

I know what you mean about church yards, wandering around where my mother is buried the other week, I spotted names I knew, (I had missed the graves in this part before) went to ask my SIL about certain names and she told me several sad stories..

3 bags out to CS, items not longer used, they will be good for some one all in good condition
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills