PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would put you off a house...?

Comments

• The thing that strikes me about the sinkless-kitchen house is the first impression of it is "Oh it's not a semi. It's a detached - EA's don't usually 'under-describe' houses".

But one can see from photo of back garden (which, indeed, is very overlooked) is that it is a semi in fact.

Well that means = Where's the boundary between the two front gardens then? There's absolutely nothing to differentiate - other than a change of surface from "concrete garden" to grass and I could see that being a bit awkward for both. I'd just have to stick up a dwarf brick wall if I were in either of those houses.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well that means = Where's the boundary between the two front gardens then? There's absolutely nothing to differentiate - other than a change of surface from "concrete garden" to grass and I could see that being a bit awkward for both. I'd just have to stick up a dwarf brick wall if I were in either of those houses.
    It's a new-fangled thing called 'open plan,' money. Became popular in the 1970s.

All the properties in the road where we rented 10 years ago were like that. It didn't create any awkwardness at all, even though many of the boundaries were in lawns. Indeed, I used to cut some grass of the elderly couple next door, rather than leaving an odd long bit.
  • :rotfl:Seems very odd on a row of just 2 houses - and not a longer row worth imo.

Guessing that most of us like to know what's "ours" and we can do as we decide with it (within reason - ie not leylandii then) and what's "theirs" (so we can't touch it).

There are worse situations I guess - ie where I've come across a pair of semis that were both for sale and I viewed them and asked in both houses as to who the hedge on the grass between them belonged to. They both said they didn't know:cool:. Which would have left me wondering whether I could or couldn't do what I pleased to the hedge (which would have been to remove it and put that shortie brick wall there).
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    :rotfl:Seems very odd on a row of just 2 houses - and not a longer row worth imo.

Guessing that most of us like to know what's "ours" and we can do as we decide with it (within reason - ie not leylandii then) and what's "theirs" (so we can't touch it).

There are worse situations I guess - ie where I've come across a pair of semis that were both for sale and I viewed them and asked in both houses as to who the hedge on the grass between them belonged to. They both said they didn't know:cool:. Which would have left me wondering whether I could or couldn't do what I pleased to the hedge (which would have been to remove it and put that shortie brick wall there).

After living at my current house (semi-detached) for a year or two, during which I trimmed both sides of the box hedge separating me from next door, the neighbour beckoned me over one day.

"When are you going to do something about THAT?!?" he said, waving his finger in the general direction of the two houses).

"What?" I asked.

"THAT," he repeated, more clearly pointing towards the hedge.

After a somewhat awkward conversation, he claimed that the hedge had been planted by Harry (original owner of the house whose son I bought the house from, and who had been, apparently, a keen gardener with meticulous lawn, etc.).

The hedge is actually planted dead centre between the two houses - how was I supposed to know it was my responsibility? There was I thinking I was being a good neighbour, cutting "their" side every time.

It didn't even look that bad at the time. Ironically, his front lawn is a dandelion farm!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for my first property to buy and this ticks most boxes, the kitchen would need adjusting, would prefer not to have the cost of doing major works.

A first purchase, in particular, always involves compromises so I think you are doing absolutely the right thing by getting on the ladder asap. My stepdaughter has been in a position to buy for over two years but is delaying as her expectations are so high. She believes that a property crash will occur at some point and that will open the way for her to buy a property that is closer to her idea of perfection.

Big mistake.

This is a long-term investment and trying to time the property market is as difficult as trying to time the stock market. The important thing is to make that initial investment.

If there is a water supply somewhere in that kitchen I don't think it would be a costly refit. You don't need to do the full monty. The priority would be to install a sink somewhere in the kitchen. If you can stretch to it perhaps change/paint the cabinet doors and handles and replace the worktops. Any storage issues can be addressed in several ways.

I would be very surprised if the house wasn't originally built with a sink in the kitchen. Chances are that the water inlet has been capped and it's lurking somewhere.

Definitely worth seeking quotes for the sink and then perhaps make a cheeky offer. The lack of a sink will deter lots of people and so will the mess. Ignore the mess and any other cosmetics, You could transform that house with a bit of elbow grease and some paint.

Yes, it's overlooked but that's probably reflected in the price. It's likely to be one reason why it's in your price range.

I wouldn't be deterred by the lack of a kitchen sink. It's a great bargaining point. You could make an instant profit just by fixing that issue. Just make sure that you buy at the right price. The owner's failure to address such an obvious issue suggests they are lazy and would rather take a price reduction than fix the problem themselves. That reduction should be much more than the cost you would pay.

Good luck.
  • Davesnave
    :rotfl:Seems very odd on a row of just 2 houses - and not a longer row worth imo.
    Well open plan was how many estates went, though in many cases people broke the covenant enforcing it as soon as the builders were gone.

In the road where we rented they were all detached houses (current values £600k +) and the fact that the open lawns were still there 40 years on suggested that it hadn't been a big issue to the residents. The open expanses of grass supported a lot of mature trees and merged with communal areas, which wouldn't have appealed to you either! :rotfl:
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    For goodness sake, play another tune. The thread is about property preferences, not house prices in London.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Most people nowadays would prefer to pay less for their property, a lot less, that is the consequence of allowing a massive housing/credit bubble to get out of hand, and many are instantly put off by a price that seems too high, irrespective of the great features the house may have...
  • Davesnave
    edited 20 March 2018 at 6:38PM
    What would put me off a house is finding Crashy renting the one next door!

"Lovely weather, eh?"

"Well, it would be, if there wasn't a massive conspiracy to stop me buying a house!"

etc... etc.... ad infinitum
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport