PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would put you off a house...?

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We had a house with the kitchen at the front and I must say I loved it. It was in cul de sac so not very busy.

Our new house has this, it's rented out at the moment, but in the few weeks we spent there doing it up, I spent quite a lot of time in kitchen just looking down the culdesac to the park at the end of the road just watching people doing their thing. I'm looking forward to that view.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Amanda_Cm
    Amanda_Cm Posts: 168 Forumite
    Don't really like houses with kitchen at the front because I have young child. Want to be able to see it while playing in the garden. And also having an easy access to the kitchen when dining in the garden.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    That wouldn't bother me at all DCFC79, but as others have said maybe resale would be a bit trickier...?
    I think it's a nice layout. I think more people baulk at having the main bathroom downstairs or the rooms are too small etc than would refuse a house cos the kitchen is at the front.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for that TamsinC. Seems like we got lucky with our houses but then we never had to deal with outside contractors to sort any problems out. We certainly never had a problem like you've described, fingers crossed it gets sorted out soon!
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    What about a kitchen without a sink but 1 in the utility room like here, find it weird myself, a sink should be in the kitchen. Ive looked at the 2 kitchen photos and cant see a sink that's obvious nor 1 mentioned in the description.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    What about a kitchen without a sink but 1 in the utility room like here, find it weird myself, a sink should be in the kitchen. Ive looked at the 2 kitchen photos and cant see a sink that's obvious nor 1 mentioned in the description.
    About 10 years ago, we looked at a freshly redeveloped £1m house near to where we used to live - no intention (or ability!) to buy it, but that's what open days are for, right...?

The kitchen was lovely. Huge island... but... only a tiny sink, about big enough to rinse a tomato in. But there's a utility room there. Oh. Hold on. Nope, none there at all. <shrug>
  • DCFC79 wrote: »

It is a little weird but I could live with it, it helps that there appears to be no door between the kitchen and the utility room, just a doorway.

I would never consider that house though due to the badly overlooked garden.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite

It would make me think: "damn, immediate kitchen refit needed'. It would also signal that I needed to check the house carefully for similar oddities. It wouldn't deter me from buying a house I really liked (price adjusted for the necessary changes).
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2018 at 11:11PM
    It is a little weird but I could live with it, it helps that there appears to be no door between the kitchen and the utility room, just a doorway.

I would never consider that house though due to the badly overlooked garden.

A washing machine and a tumble dryer/fridge in the utility room yes but not a sink, well its the first time Ive seen it. Id find it annoying having to move any pots/pans etc into the utility room when it should be in the kitchen so close to hand.

Yes the garden is badly overlooked.
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    It would make me think: "damn, immediate kitchen refit needed'. It would also signal that I needed to check the house carefully for similar oddities. It wouldn't deter me from buying a house I really liked (price adjusted for the necessary changes).

I'm currently looking for my first property to buy and this ticks most boxes, the kitchen would need adjusting, would prefer not to have the cost of doing major works.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite

THE kitchen hasn’t many cupboards, hence everything is piled on top of the cupboards. I really dislike their busy messy kitchen, probably like that because of lack of storage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure