PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning property where previous tenant had dog?

Comments

• Witless
    Witless Posts: 728
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't know about doggy smells in a room but for broken eggs or spilled milk in a car I can definitely recommend baking soda left overnight then hoovered up and followed by onions cut in half and left to dry out.
    (I didn't believe it until I tried it - total success)
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When we moved into our first home, we found that the previous owner hadn't looked after the place re his several cats. Gradually we removed carpets (our first guests got fleabites, we only had a couple of chairs so some of us sat on the floor) and cleaned through. Then there was the problem of the bathroom...the old boy hadn't been a good shot. In spite of much scrubbing with all manner of substances, we ended up changing the floorboards, as the smell didn't go.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • TheMsTeal
    TheMsTeal Posts: 331
    First Post
    Forumite
    purpleivy wrote: »
    When we moved into our first home, we found that the previous owner hadn't looked after the place re his several cats. Gradually we removed carpets (our first guests got fleabites, we only had a couple of chairs so some of us sat on the floor) and cleaned through. Then there was the problem of the bathroom...the old boy hadn't been a good shot. In spite of much scrubbing with all manner of substances, we ended up changing the floorboards, as the smell didn't go.

Crikey! That makes my problem seem quite small in comparison!
  • purpleivy
    Forumite
    We must have been rather naïve all those years ago. I think my sense of smell is more highly developed now than then. When we moved house after 5 years, I rejected one property because it smelt of dog. I'm really glad we did, as the corner where it stands is even more busy now. As we weren't local we also didn't realise the proximity of the local 'mini tip'!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • JamesO
    JamesO Posts: 512
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 2:13PM
    pigpen wrote: »
    Just a good clean with zoflora/bleach/washing up liquid/ stardrops (probably in the same bucket lol and the concoction doesn't even kill you!) will get rid of the majority of it..
    A mum was rushed to hospital after being poisoned by a toxic combination of cleaning products.

She ended up with chlorine gas poisoning from the mixture of bleach, Dettol, concentrated disinfectant Zoflora, and hot water.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/07/mum-almost-died-of-chlorine-poisoning-from-products-she-used-to-mop-floor-6835734/

:money:
    Forumite
    purpleivy wrote: »
    When we moved into our first home, we found that the previous owner hadn't looked after the place re his several cats. Gradually we removed carpets (our first guests got fleabites, we only had a couple of chairs so some of us sat on the floor) and cleaned through.
    Unfortunately, flea eggs can remain dormant and viable for a very long time; so even if there hasn't been a pet in the place recently, there is still a possibility of fleas turning up.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,916
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 March 2018 at 7:21PM
    JamesO wrote: »

and some people die from a bee sting or a peanut.. there is always one person who has a severe reaction to everything.. I turn into a puffer fish at the mere mention of a latex glove..

Dettol is a particularly nasty substance I won't even have it in the house. The single worst thing I have found is Stardrops.. I use neat bleach to clean everything with luke warm water.. and the chances are the hot water evaporated the chlorine from the bleach and it was solely that which caused her issues not the mixing the bleach smell is chlorine being given off so if you were to use lots with hot water and inhale the steam... that would be high in chlorine.

The metro is hardly a reputable intellectual information source.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    and some people die from a bee sting or a peanut.. there is always one person who has a severe reaction to everything.. I turn into a puffer fish at the mere mention of a latex glove..

Dettol is a particularly nasty substance I won't even have it in the house. The single worst thing I have found is Stardrops.. I use neat bleach to clean everything with luke warm water.. and the chances are the hot water evaporated the chlorine from the bleach and it was solely that which caused her issues not the mixing the bleach smell is chlorine being given off so if you were to use lots with hot water and inhale the steam... that would be high in chlorine.

I've never 'met' someone resolutely so stupid. Even the NHS hands out the same advice which any internet search would confirm, or even the merest amount of common sense (like reading the back of the bottles). You'd have to be an idiot to mix cleaning chemicals. If you do, then you get what you deserve - especially if you continue to do it after the dangers are explained to you.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• purpleivy
    Forumite
    good when you find you have baby sick on your shoulder just when you are about to go out!
    Witless wrote: »
    I don't know about doggy smells in a room but for broken eggs or spilled milk in a car I can definitely recommend baking soda left overnight then hoovered up and followed by onions cut in half and left to dry out.
    (I didn't believe it until I tried it - total success)
  • purpleivy
    Forumite
    There are lots round here who swear by Stardrops. I just swear! Is it a particular reaction you have or something more general? Interested to hear. I'm trying to reduce the number of products I'm using and Stardrops has made it through the cut...so far!

I would have problems swooshing neat bleach on everything, I'd have it over my clothes, even though I wear an apron for everything household related.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family