PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do people ever manage to book viewings??

Options

Comments

• resk
    resk Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Move to Aberdeen?
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of the national chains around me purposely keeps their properties on long after they are sold so they can get your details on their system.

You need to just look on Rightmove every day for Added in Last 24 Hours. Check in the mornings. Anything that comes up that you like the look of, give the EA a ring.

Anything that's been up 3+ months is likely sold, overvalued, or the sellers just taking the mickey (imo).
  • victoriavictorious
    Options
    Well, 36 hours after phoning the EA to book a viewing for House C, he STILL hasn't got back to us, but it's been reduced today by £10K! Too late now - we've made other plans for the day we wanted, so probably won't bother with it now. EA has lost the vendor a potential sale and they don't even know it.
    We did manage to book a couple of other viewings but they weren't quite right.
    The search continues.....
  • new_owner
    new_owner Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I wish someone would tell the area I live the prices are dropping... Going up at a very steady rate...
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 March 2018 at 11:00AM
    Options
    new_owner wrote: »
    I wish someone would tell the area I live the prices are dropping... Going up at a very steady rate...

Where I am looking too, increase of 10% since last year. However, in general I'd say this hasn't affected my ability to book viewings.

Yes, some estate agents are very tardy at responding, and although I registered with all the local estate agents, only some are sending new properties on the market.

Yes, it seems like some owners almost don't want to sell their property.

But overall, the balance of complete numpties and people who are more on the ball is similar to what I'd expect in any other sector of society or any other profession.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was on the news yesterday that EAs have the lowest stock in all time at the moment (or the past 20 years).
    It seems the last stamp duty concession has only muddied the market further as its put wise first time buyers off buying starter homes to rather wait till they can afford their first family home.

Stamp duty on ordinary family homes needs to be urgently abolished. Its put me off even thinking about downsizing or relocating for lifestyle reasons.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HOUSE A - (my favourite and I'm gutted!) = SSTC 2 days ago, almost immediately after it went on the market but it's still on Rightmove, with no indication that it's even under offer. Agent said it 'takes time to mark them as sold.'
    So how come our own agent managed to mark our house as sold on RM within 5 minutes of us accepting the offer?
    When we bought this house, the EA never flagged it as under offer or sstc or anything, right up until completion, when they simply took it off...
    HOUSE B - tried to book a viewing but told it had been taken off the market 3 months ago, yet it's still being advertised.
    ...and if anybody had called about it, that's what they'd have been told.
    so I can only think it's maybe because we won't be requiring their mortgages that we're getting such cr*p customer service?
    Ah, so you're telling them you won't even talk to their finance guy? THAT's why they're not taking you seriously.

Are all agents like that? No. But you're talking about a sample of one here.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options

Crashy time at it again, this time being even lazier... Its a new index and its telling us prices are dropping, lets believe this rather than the established indexes including the land registry that are saying they are very slightly going up... All hail the new only truthful index (Unless it changes to show a positive in which case its a new index that can't be trusted).
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    When we bought this house, the EA never flagged it as under offer or sstc or anything, right up until completion, when they simply took it off...

...and if anybody had called about it, that's what they'd have been told.

Ah, so you're telling them you won't even talk to their finance guy? THAT's why they're not taking you seriously.

Are all agents like that? No. But you're talking about a sample of one here.

Some estate agents use the ploy of leaving properties that have been sold on rightmove as not sstc so they get inquiry's, they then tell the people phoning the house has gone but if they give them their details they may have a similar house soon... When they value a property they can say to the prospective sellers we have X number of people looking for a house like this...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure