PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would put you off a house...?

Comments

• My big no-no is being overlooked, I like complete privacy when sitting in the garden, so I would discount any house that didn't give me that.
    Other things would be:

Miles from anywhere.
    Neighbours who didn't look after their properties.
    A Bungalow.
    Three storey houses.
    No downstairs loo
    Small kitchen
    Dark rooms.
    Tiny/no outside space
    No hallway.
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Houses that scream "I came with a free parking dispute!" As part of the sale, even in an area i am looking at, at a very attractive price.

Note the message on the side of the house in the following:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52993233.html

Screams parking dispute.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would never choose to buy a house that you have to go through the living room to get to the kitchen.
    Nor would I want to find myself in one that had the stairs coming off the living room.

As you can tell, I see the point of hallways lol

I don’t like houses without hallways.
    I also don’t like downstairs bathrooms.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There are lots of compromises that I'd put up with with a plan of making changes in the long run.

The really off putting things for me would be

Bathroom or a bedroom accessible only via another bedroom

Total open plan

But the biggest turnoff for me woukd be a bungalow
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What's wrong with bungalows???? :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • The things that would be a turn-off for me are:

* Small windows - traditional olde worlde cottages have no appeal for me because of this !
    I like large windows that give bright, airy, rooms.

* Period properties - their 'traditional features' just leave me cold.
    I like spacious, contemporary properties.

* A single bathroom, in the property, that is located downstairs.

* A north facing/shaded back garden.

* Located near a school.

* No driveway/designated parking for a car.

The more i type, the more i think of .......
    It's the most expensive purchase you'll ever make so it has to be as near perfect as it can get.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 8:25AM
    What's wrong with bungalows???? :)

I know you have one and I'm sure it is lovely but I just don't like them. I think some of my dislike may stem from being brought up in an area close to the coast, where the serried ranks of identical bungalows looked so dismal.

ETA I have lived in a bungalow, my parents bought a new build bungalow when I was a child. It had the nicest garden, gorgeous as my dad was a very keen gardener but I never liked the actual building.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    vicki2221 wrote: »
    A garden that is in the shade all the time would be a no go for me.

Me too. A place to sit in the sun and grow and few things was top of my list when house hunting. I almost didn't view the house I'm in now because on google earth it still showed old tree in the neighbour's garden that used to block all the sun for most of the day.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 9:05AM

But the biggest turnoff for me would be a bungalow

We bought our bungalow because a massive turn-off feature, a flat roofed extension at the front :eek: was just one of the weirdness factors which made it highly affordable.

Realising that our council's planning dept must be a soft touch, we then obtained PP to add another floor, but looking at the plans critically, it was a large outlay for a small area of usable floor space, so we extended elsewhere. Now, I never give the bungalow situation a second thought; it's our normal.

I can understand people who don't want a long term home ruling places out over relatively trivial things. Not everyone wants the fuss and bother of remedial work, or knows how to go about it. However, if it's a long term home, being more flexible can pay dividends, especially with ugly ducklings in a good situation.

We have no flat roofs now. :)

EDIT: This great example of what we haven't ended-up with just happened to pop into my in-box......It might be roughly what you mean too, being coastal.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53240802.html

Yuk!
  • Anywhere with the risk of a huge new housing estate being built nearby. Anywhere near a main road. Anywhere where the neighbours (properties) look unkempt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure