PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy to Let for Non Taxpayers

Options
Hi, I am currently researching into Buy to Let. As a non taxpayer (with capital for deposit and good level of income from my wife), is there any reason I would not put everything solely in my name? Is there a flaw in this?

Comments

• westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    2 names = 2 allowances of everything.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No income = no mortgage.

Since the PRA changes in January, a personal affordability check is carried out on all BTL applications even when the rental income calculation determines the borrowing level.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JohnnieD1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently researching into Buy to Let. As a non taxpayer ..............
    A landlord may pay at least 10 taxes.
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?49095-How-many-taxes-can-a-landlord-have-to-pay
    Think you'll find you do pay tax (Council tax, Insurance tax, fuel duty, VaT etc etc etc..)

As said, no income above income tax limit, probably no mortgage: If you want mortgage in joint names, as I understand it, that means property in joint names...
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would have to buy the property for cash without a mortgage. You won't get a mortgage because you don't earn anything.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You would be relying on the rent income covering the mortgage, but this could be severely reduced by large maintenance costs,damage by tenants, voids and cost to remove reluctant tenants. A mortgage company would not want to take the risk of your inability to pay them .
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A landlord may pay at least 10 taxes.
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?49095-How-many-taxes-can-a-landlord-have-to-pay
    Think you'll find you do pay tax (Council tax, Insurance tax, fuel duty, VaT etc etc etc..)

As said, no income above income tax limit, probably no mortgage: If you want mortgage in joint names, as I understand it, that means property in joint names...

Tenant pays council tax.
  • JohnnieD1
    Options
    Cheers - would an affordability check not show income in a joint account? To clarify - as with other investments in my name - my wife has no desire to have a BTL in her name. I would feel that the changes in taxing of income from BTL will become the difference between profit and loss, over the next few years.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JohnnieD1 wrote: »
    Cheers - would an affordability check not show income in a joint account?

You don't think a lender is going to ask you what your income is? That's yours, not your wife's. If the house and mortgage were to be in part or whole in her name then her income is relevant, but as neither of those things are true then I can't see why they would take her income into account.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tenant pays council tax.
    Not during voids.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Penitent wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure theartfullodger was responding to the OP referring to himself as a "non taxpayer" by listing taxes that he currently pays, rather than listing things a landlord would be expected to pay (since he said "you do pay tax", rather than "you would pay these taxes").

A successful landlord shouldn`t be paying council tax.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure