PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DH emptied out one shelf of his part of the wardrobe, and put everything back folded and in neat piles! Hurray! Not quite kondo, but at least it's neat again.

I would like to put my cookery books inside the book cabinet - they are currently on top, giving a cluttered look to the otherwise clear landing. A job for Wednesday morning, I think, when I have only dd2 at home.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kittie wrote: »
    that tyre thing is common, I think, slinky. We had a real spare tyre as an added on extra when we bought our car. Ok, I carry extra weight every journey but reading your post makes me glad that we added one. It does take up boot room but there is an added upside for me, in that the boot floor is now flat and level with the bumper, so I can roll heavy stuff out into a wheelbarrow

Sadly with ours, a spare isn't an option unless you want it sliding around in the boot as there's no well in the boot floor for it. Madness, but that's German engineering for you.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just general tidying & sorting today - moved all my evening and 'formal' clothes into the wardrobe in the RoD as they're only used on certain occasions - do do a quick check but nothing gone from there. A top I dithered over has been MK'd and I've just decided that the paperback books on my bookshelf waiting to be read can go - they've been sitting there far too long.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:55PM
    just a gentle nibble in the crafting room today, simply put bags of wools from the floor, into boxes already on top of a tall bookshelf, I did sort it all first. The good thing was that the boxes were up there and had previously been kondo`d of their contents, so a ready place for the yarns. Its a bit better but I can never see me working in there, as I have the much brighter living area. Got to watch that room as it has junk room potential. It is small and on the north side and all walls have tall furniture and there is a desk. I need to gradually clear cupboards eg one is choc full of candles. This time of year, I am burning some to keep the warmth going and I like them but ooh I did get sucked into buying bargains from a candle site.

I have crystallised fruits in there, that I bought for the children for christmas as a novelty, will bin tomorrow. A great big bag of all sorts of teas, I don`t know what I was thinking of but they will have to be used. Easter eggs, chocolate for me and on it goes
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Kittie, maybe it helps if you give the room a different purpose? I always like to think of a grand mansion and all the different rooms they have there; one of them must appeal to my needs, for instance a room to keep all cleaning materials, or all clothes (like a dressing room), or all outdoor equipment, all bed linen, all items for the local fancy fair.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hello everyone I've been lurking due to family circumstances. I've now been signed off work for a couple of weeks due to exhaustion with some blood tests due tomorrow. My sleeping has been severely disrupted with the worrying about my Dad and feeling more and more overwhelmed and behind with work. So today as the fog starts to lift and on the Spring equinox I Kondoed all the school stuff into three boxes for DH to take to work for me tomorrow. As I filed the council tax and water bills for this year I shredded all previous years. Have a small stash for tomorrow to take to chazzer. I had the Karen Kingston book 'clear your clutter with Feng Shui' Kittie, it went to the chazzer with another one about a toothbrush when I was on books. I thought some things made sense. Like with all of this, I tend to take what works for me and let it go. Also went 'running' today! Got to do something natural to move on the stress. Love ❤️ to all
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • juliebunny
    juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Charly, sick time can be well used to get a spot of decluttering underway. Last year i actually did my paperwork while off for a few months. Even now I'm soooooo glaf it's done. Have tried to cut back the amount of paper coming in so it doesn't get as bad. Online as much as i can now!!

The stuff about feng shui is very interesting i might see if I can get some more info....online....Don't want any books coming in !!

It's weird how i go through phases of just living in my home and then suddenly the urge to clear out attacks and I see emotional clutter everywhere and become unsettled until I've dealt with it....or the phase has paased!

I'm revisiting earlier categories too. Clothes i must have done five times. Books stacked higgledepiggledy....I'm looking at you!!
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    kittie - if the crystallised fruits are unopened/ in date, can you give them to a foodbank? Or a school/ scout hall/ playschool as a raffle prize?

Sold an unopened candle set (raffle prize) on fleebay here today - only £10, but that's money for nothing and it was only listed on Sat :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Kittie, maybe it helps if you give the room a different purpose? I always like to think of a grand mansion and all the different rooms they have there; one of them must appeal to my needs, for instance a room to keep all cleaning materials, or all clothes (like a dressing room), or all outdoor equipment, all bed linen, all items for the local fancy fair.

brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Really good idea, love that. I could not see the wood for the trees. Thank you. That will help me move on in that room, which presently contains stuckness

greent the fruits are all in little cellophane bags. They are whole fruits and soaked in sugar, not suitable for the village food box, nor for the children or me. Bought on a whim, sigh

charly you are still moving forward and yes the spring equinox means a new start, for many of us and Julie there is a bagua, meaning that basically, the home is divided into sections. That part does seem to make some sense and is what has naturally happened in my home. The central area is the one to do with health and needs to be free for energy (chi) to move, even candles block the energy, so I removed all my candlesticks from there this morning and it felt livelier

My house is an eco house and everyone has always said that it is calming and that there is a natural flow. The areas seem to be in the right bagua spaces, so I am wondering if the builder employed some feng shui principles. It is very light and the back garden is higher than the front, so in feng shui, the back is protected as the garden has a field behind it, 3 m higher than my house, which kind of nestles the house

The area in which I have the study is mountain/earth or the self-development area bagua area, now that is what it really is, what it has the potential to be. All my studying books are in there also weaving, knitting, spinning, felting, carving etc. Yes, they must have had some feng shui knowledge. My front door is north, as is on the bagua and every other area falls into its bagua place.
  • GoingToDoIt
    GoingToDoIt Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:34AM
    Kondoed a lovely top which had a few repairs but developed two more holes. Final notice given to a pair of flat work shoes and a few undergarments. I prefer to replace these essentials before eviction, I may have a "touch of the Justin's" but I don't have an excess of either, and I'd hate to run out!

I recall a feng shui book when I was younger calling for a "concealed toad" in one room near a door....I did in fact own a handmade sculpture with a toad in it, a gift from an artist friend! At that point I decided I was already some kind of feng shui natural, and quit whilst I was ahead. Toady sadly lost a leg some years later when I used him as a doorstop -maybe this is why he should be concealed?
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family