PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a houseboat

12346»

Comments

• KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I know Kiki!

Rodney's wellbeing is high on my agenda

He is FIV so can't go out

Ah, well that helps with that decision. In which case my primary concern (as would seem to be yours, which is fab) is whether he'd really have enough space inside a place that's presumably far smaller than your house.

I'm the same with my cats - I've cancelled holidays / changed plans / changed jobs for their wellbeing. They sleep most of the day (they're 16 this year) but they are number one in this house, and I suspect they know it. *I* only knew it when one day I had three snack a jacks and a banana for dinner whilst they had organic white bait and salmon, and I wondered what had gone wrong in my life. *sigh*
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Can I ask what you will do with your house? Will you sell it to finance the boat, or let it out?

What does FIV mean?

Edit: And we called our cat Gloves.

I'll sell it. No interest in being a landlord

FIV is the feline equivalent of HIV. Basically no immune system so you can't risk them interacting with other cats. They can pass it on via fighting and (ahem!). And they are very susceptible to bugs/germs etc
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,451
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I'll sell it. No interest in being a landlord

Does that leave you any way back if it turns out you can't stand living on a boat?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Does that leave you any way back if it turns out you can't stand living on a boat?

Well. I would have finance available, if necessary, to buy somewhere. Through my volunteering/work I see a lot of the problems re being a landlord and I don't want that hassle

It's a big decision - for me and Rodney! - that's for sure

Aiming to go and have a look this week. That may swing it immediately
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family