Police ringing my doorbell when visiting my neighbour

Comments

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 8:43PM
    hollydays wrote: »
    It seems there must be some good reason the police are attending in such numbers, in seemingly such a hurry. You've said it's not criminal.
    You've said it's not physical .

Where did I say that? I said it is not criminal and that it is not emergency "they have to get in" type.

Something doesn't add up in your explanation.

I am not going to go into details as would not want the neighbour to be identified - this is a public forum.

The thread is not about "what is going on upstairs", thanks.

It is sorted now - till it happens again.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 March 2017 at 9:18PM
    Where did I say that? I said it is not criminal and that it is not emergency "they have to get in" type.

I am not going to go into details as would not want the neighbour to be identified - this is a public forum.

The thread is not about "what is going on upstairs", thanks.

It is sorted now - till it happens again.

Well , if it's not criminal, it's not physical , that was me paraphrasing , and no that wasn't your exact words so I apologise . I think you said no one is at risk .

Clearly your issue IS because there's something going on upstairs.
    I too would want to assist the police because the quicker they sort this problem out , the sooner they can be off dealing with the urgent stuff.
    You are strangely evasive though.
    Good luck with it.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It seems there must be some good reason the police are attending in such numbers
    A friend was recently visited twice by the same small team. No reason for it. They travel together in a police van. She asked two of them in and the other two waited outside. Might be a combination of a lack of vehicles and needing a group of officers ready for incidents.
  • hollydays
    A friend was recently visited twice by the same small team. No reason for it. They travel together in a police van. She asked two of them in and the other two waited outside. Might be a combination of a lack of vehicles and needing a group of officers ready for incidents.

Yes but running up all those flights of stairs... nah..:)
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You are strangely evasive though.

Because although I know the details it is not my business and neither is it yours.

It is a private matter between my neighbour and the Police and I just simply do not wish to be involved in any shape or form and by ringing my bell to get inside I am forced to be involved.

Regardless of what the reason is for their visits - this is nothing to do with me. It really is that simple.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,660 Forumite
    If it were me, I would open the door a crack and ask the police not to ring my bell again.

I very much doubt they would just manhandle the OP aside if she were holding onto the door and blocking their route. But, having had her say briefly, she should let them in.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Get some velcro and something like a battery operated baby alarm... and when they ring you can speak to them as it'll be like an intercom "Hello - is that the police ringing?" "Yes it is" "Farq off"
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As I said, I am happy to assist in any emergency but this is not, not them coming here as they only come after talking to the neighbour so neighbour is expecting them. There is nothing that I personally can do to help them (or the neighbour) which makes those visits a nuisance from my point of view.

It really is that simple.

Leaving it for now as situation got sorted - no idea for how long but have not seen them Friday or today so hoping it will be a while before it happens again. But has a potential of going on and off for another 7 years.. sighhh
  • hollydays
    edited 18 March 2017 at 10:26PM
    I never open my door without the chain on. It's basic safety, next time it might not be the police pushing past you.
  • hollydays
    edited 18 March 2017 at 11:23PM
    Because although I know the details it is not my business and neither is it yours.

It is a private matter between my neighbour and the Police and I just simply do not wish to be involved in any shape or form and by ringing my bell to get inside I am forced to be involved.

Regardless of what the reason is for their visits - this is nothing to do with me. It really is that simple.

I don't mean anyone needs to know the sordid details . I doubt anyone actually cares , it really is that simple.

You ask for advice-there seems to be a gap in the information you've given .
    The " private matter" you refer to clearly isn't private as you've told us you know the gory details.
    You've answered your own question . If you don't want to be involved , only speak to the police through the closed door
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure