Vodafone Smart Ultra 7

Majic
Majic Posts: 349 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I'm looking to buy this for my son, mainly so he can play Pok!mon Go. I can see Argos £135.

I want to limit his use of it in terms of charges. Would a simple £10 PAYG voucher per month be best (that would be the most I would spend) or would it be best on some kind of deal?

I imagine calls and texts would be minimal. It's really for surfing and Pokemon

Thanks

Comments

• Not sure why you decided you needed 2 threads for this :(

Make sure whatever you buy has a spending cap (preferably zero) as Pokemon Go (like far too many) has in-app purchases.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Certainly iDmobile and Tesco offer spending caps.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    boatman wrote: »
    Certainly iDmobile and Tesco offer spending caps.

OP mentions payg, there is no better cap than just loading a £5 or £10 voucher on a PAYG sim.
    ====
  • Majic
    If you played Pok!mon say 30 hours per month any idea how much this would cost in terms of data useage and how does this eat into a PAYG voucher?
  • d123
    Majic wrote: »
    If you played Pok!mon say 30 hours per month any idea how much this would cost in terms of data useage and how does this eat into a PAYG voucher?

You can buy an allowance on payg, £10 would buy a reasonable allowance, for example on giffgaff:
    2 GB UK data
    500 UK minutes
    Unlimited UK texts

https://www.giffgaff.com/pay-as-you-go

Giffgaff has a bad rep for slow data speeds, but it's still usable and actually good in 4G areas with a compatible phone (which the Ultra 7 is). Remember you would need to unlock the Ultra 7 for use on other networks, but its a simple matter of buying a code for a few pounds on eBay.
    ====
  • Majic
    Thanks Dave, that's really helpful
  • Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    V S U 7 is locked to Voda, hence would need to be unlocked.
    Also it doesn't​ fair that well in reviews.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/budget-smartphones/vodafone-smart-ultra-7-review-3643704/

For the expenditure cautious parent, I'd recommend cheaper handset (dropping etc) and hassle free for the SIM choice something unlocked like
    http://ebay.co.uk/itm/291745117849
  • Majic
    Really good advice again, thanks Atasas
  • d123
    Majic wrote: »
    Really good advice again, thanks Atasas

Unfortunately it isn't very good advice, like a lot of the super cheap Chinese stuff, corners are cut, that Dogee phone linked to doesn't have either a gyroscope/accelerometer or compass.

These are needed for Pokemon Go.
    ====
  • d123
    edited 19 March 2017 at 12:41PM
    The OP says the primary use is Pokemon Go, a phone missing the accelerometer and compass required by Pokemon Go seems a glaringly weird choice, doesn't it?

You are quite a strange person who is almost evangelical in pushing the super cheap (sometimes crap) Chinese unknown phones who gets rather excited and shouts troll at anyone who dares to disagree.

If I just wanted to say it's a crap phone I would have mentioned the fact that phones like these have no usable warranty, no UK support network for spares and repairs and also just linked to all the one star reviews on Amazon...

Here's a few:
    1.0 out of 5 stars
    Battery life is poor. Even with light use I am running low ...
    ByMrsRJSharratton 2 February 2017
    Colour: White
    Battery life is poor. Even with light use I am running low on power towards the evening. I haven't been able to set up my Hotmail account on it.
    The touchscreen is glitchy and often struggle to open it with the 'pattern' option.

Probably just easier to screenshot page 1

IMG_5435.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01C3YVL5S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1&sortBy=recent&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport