IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Charge Notice from Care Parking at Aldi

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    you can demand anything you like, but dont expect to get anything
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2017 at 5:49PM
    hmmmmm wrote: »
    Thanks Coupon-mad, they have an online form, I'll do that today.

Should I mention anything about the planning permission being subject to providing a 3 hours stay for patrons? Or include anything about the grace period (thanks again PG), as the newbie template only mentions signage.

Many thanks,

John :)

As far as the initial appeal is concerned, you are after a PoPLA code. You stand very little chance of a first stage cancellation, but the bit about 3 hour limit on the original planning permission certainly won't hurt. Whatever you add to the template, never reveal the driver's identity. It is easy to make mistakes like that as you have already found out.

It wouldn't hurt to mention the UDI reduction in parking time outwith the original planning permission on Aldi's fakebook page as a warning to other shoppers.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Coupon-mad, they have an online form, I'll do that today.

Should I mention anything about the planning permission being subject to providing a 3 hours stay for patrons? Or include anything about the grace period (thanks again PG), as the newbie template only mentions signage.

Many thanks,

John :)

care will not care , you want a POPLA code , and get POPLa to kill it
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Use the appeal template as it is. Keep any other powder (like grace periods) dry for POPLA.
    Unless you can get the LA to do anything on the 3 hours limit, you'll get nowhere with it, I'm afraid. It's more of a 'bigger picture' issue than one for getting your ticket cancelled.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • hmmmmm
    hmmmmm Posts: 25 Forumite
    Apologies I've just seen all of your replies, thank you so much,

In the meantime I put together a draft, but just let me know if I should stick to the original template, and if so, I'll just send that off :)

Here's the reply:

Dear Sirs,

Re: PCN No. xxxxxx

I challenge this 'PCN' as keeper of the car.

I believe that your signs fail the test of 'large lettering' and prominence, as established in ParkingEye Ltd v Beavis. Your unremarkable and obscure signs were not seen by the driver, are in very small print and the terms are not readable to drivers.

Para 205: “The requirement of good faith in this context is one of fair and open dealing. Openness requires that the terms should be expressed fully, clearly and legibly, containing no concealed pitfalls or traps. Appropriate prominence should be given to terms which might operate disadvantageously to the customer.”

Underlining that is Section 18.3 of the BPA Code of Practice which gives clear instructions as to the placing, visibility and clarity of any signs that are used to form contracts. It says:

18.3 You must place signs containing the specific parking terms throughout the site, so that drivers are given the chance to read them at the time of parking or leaving their vehicle. Keep a record of where all the signs are. Signs must be conspicuous and legible, and written in intelligible language, so that they are easy to see, read and understand.

I refute that there were clear and visible signs, with Terms that formed the basis of a contract and which met the specifications above.

It should also be noted that an infraction of 18 minutes’ falls under grace period rules and given the amount of traffic at the Corporation Street site, entry and exit times will be considered; citing section 13.4 of the BPA Code of Practice:

13.4 You should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave the private car park after the parking contract has ended, before you take enforcement action. If the location is one where parking is normally permitted, the Grace Period at the end of the parking period should be a minimum of 10 minutes.

Furthermore, planning permission for the Corporation Street site was granted on the basis that the landowner provides parking to patrons for 3 hours, with the facility to leave the site and use local amenities. This planning permission was granted in 1999 when the land was bought from Dutton Forshaw and no further amendments have been asked for or granted by Preston City Council.

Your company is trying to extract money from people parking longer than 2 hours, when Preston City Council wanted this to be a 3 hour car park. I’m sure this will be of interest to local media, the council and Trading Standards, should this dialogue progress.

I am also formally requesting a full copy of the contemporaneous, signed & dated (unredacted) contract with the landowner. A site agreement, or witness statement is not sufficient as these will not show sufficient detail (such as the restrictions, charges and revenue sharing arrangements agreed with any landholder). In order to comply with paragraph 7 of the BPA Code of Practice, a non-landowner private parking company must have a specifically-worded contract with the landowner, otherwise there is no authority to offer contracts to park.

There will be no admissions as to who was driving and no assumptions can be drawn. You must either rely on the POFA 2012 and offer me a POPLA code, or cancel the charge.

Should you obtain the registered keeper's data from the DVLA without reasonable cause, please take this as formal notice that I reserve the right to sue your company and the landowner/principal, for a sum not less than £250 for any Data Protection Act breach. Your aggressive business practice and unwarranted threat of court for the ordinary matter of a driver using my car without causing any obstruction nor offence, has caused significant distress to me.

I do not give you consent to process data relating to me or this vehicle. I deny liability for any sum at all and you must consider this letter a Section 10 Notice under the DPA. You are required to respond within 21 days. I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

In order to resolve the dispute, I attach copies of the driver’s bank transactions that day as proof of patronage.

Yours faithfully,
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    no , please use the appeal suggested in the newbies thread
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    no , please use the appeal suggested in the newbies thread
    Why? This one looks far more targetted and to the point with the points that could be persuasive later on.

As we know, any initial appeal is likely to be refused and a standard forum appeal will get a standard PPC rejection. This one should get a better response.

However, I would take out the bank statement sentence as it identifies the driver.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:03PM

Furthermore, planning permission for the Corporation Street site was granted on the basis that the landowner provides parking to patrons for 3 hours, with the facility to leave the site and use local amenities. This planning permission was granted in 1999 when the land was bought from Dutton Forshaw and no further amendments have been asked for or granted by Preston City Council.

Your company is trying to extract money from people parking longer than 2 hours, when Preston City Council wanted this to be a 3 hour car park. I’m sure this will be of interest to local media, the council and Trading Standards, should this dialogue progress.

Yours faithfully,

Change that to something like, "only approved planning permission on the strict understanding that patrons would be allowed up to three hours parking. Unilaterally reducing the parking period would therefore be a breach of the planning conditions both initially and currently in force."

I wouldn't mess about by warning the scammers. I would remove "should this dialogue progress" and complain to the various bodies you have mentioned anyway, and ask the local press to highlight this breach of planning consent to warn other car park users and local resident and visitors.

Ask the council to instruct the PPC to either immediately amend, cover up, or remove the signs until they have complied with the requirements of the local government.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    alas , Preston City Counsil did not exist when planning permission was granted , please get facts correct if you are going to quote them
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • hmmmmm
    hmmmmm Posts: 25 Forumite
    Thank you all so much, I've made the amends and I'm about to send, you guys are awesome :)

John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport