Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• Good evening all, I wonder if anybody know anything about insurance claims. I have lost my darling Mums 2 diamond rings. One has a valuation but not the other. Unfortunately I only declared the one with the valuation as having a value of £1500 even though I know it was valued 30 years ago at £2000' but I thought I had lost it (the certificate) but subsequently found it after I had put in a claim. The other one has no valuation only the decription which I have given to the insurers.
    They are telling me because I only declared the one valuation at £1500 that is all they will pay, even though the jewellery company in association with the insurers have put a value of £3200 on it from the photos I have of it, and of course the valuation certificate and £950 for the other.
    I dont have any photos of the other. The insurers are only giving me vouchers to be used in only 2 named shops totalling £2200 net after deducting £100 excess for each ring. Now, when I have looked online at these 2 shops websites I can see that that wont even be enough to buy the lesser value ring that I have lost, their value of £950 having been put on it, and the equivalent similar ring on these websites is £2400, the other one about £4000.I feel so sad that Ive lost my darling Mums rings, but I am also really angry that I have not been awarded at least the value of 1 decent ring. The complaints department is due to ring me, but I am wondering if anyone can suggest where else I could go. It is supposed to be replacement value but that is a joke.
    Sorry for long tale of woe, I know other people have real problems at the moment, but thinking about my mum makes me cry.
    chocciex
    Good morning.
    I have read this a few times because I think I must be reading it wrong.
    I'm reading that it had a valuation 30 years ago and was valued at £2000 then but you chose to only insure it for £1500 which is what they are paying you.
    Plus they are paying £700 for the other ring which a jeweller has valued at £950.

If I'm reading it correctly I think you have two points to argue. Firstly the £250 that they have under valued the second ring by and secondly the vouchers forvthe high street jewellers presumably Gold Smith type stores.
    Tell them that you don't want vouchers but you want your local jeweller to source you a ring most similar to your mum's and ask them to settle direct with the jeweller, check with the jeweller first though.

It is very difficult to compare a ring that looks "similar" because it depends on the stone, colour, clarity, inclusions.

I understand why you are upset but once you get the new ring make sure it is listed on your insurance :o

We see this constantly I served a lady yesterday with a beautiful ring. It had been valued at £7000 20 years ago but it wasnt listed on her insurance, when i asked why she said because the premium would go up....... not as much as replacing that diamond I thought....but didn't say :D

Still no baby :eek:
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Morning thanks for looking zippy but does anyone know if schmacos will work, no multi on. Com but is on msm
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • pacifica9
    pacifica9 Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Sharpie test shop done. Results in two hours.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.” ~ Ferris Bueller
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning peeps.

Just reading Di's post.
    Wondered how much it costs to have your rings/jewellery valued please?
    May be worth doing if peeps have sadly inherited nice items.
    May look into this.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
  • mrsmac10
    mrsmac10 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Good morning all

Di I hope your baby arrives soon and safely

Sorry I have no idea how to look at any potential glitches and am in work so cant try any ideas

Hope its a super glichy day for those rebuilding stashes

Tomorrow I am going to SD to try and get the mini free perfume with facemasks I have a card :T

Enjoy
  • Snap-ant
    Snap-ant Posts: 15,944 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    curl_girl wrote: »
    Morning peeps.

Just reading Di's post.
    Wondered how much it costs to have your rings/jewellery valued please?
    May be worth doing if peeps have sadly inherited nice items.
    May look into this.

Usually a % of value

:)
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• Snap-ant
    Snap-ant Posts: 15,944 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :o

I was in Vente Privee Kipling sale at dead on 6am this morning

Rewarded with snaffling a Puppy toiletries bag £13 :j (multiple compartments) & matching Travel Documents Wallet £10 :j
    & a lovely striped Creativity purse for £6 :D

Happy Day :D
    Our Family Motto ~
    If all else fails - read the instructions...

• Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:44AM
    pippo wrote: »
    DM, thinking about a road trip to Bruges !
    6 hours drive to Dover, ferry to Dunkirk, an hours drive at the other side. .. Hypermarket in Dunkirk on the way back.
    What do we need to look for in Bruges?

6 hour drive... flip. Is Hull Ferries closer? We've been across with these to Bruge, you get on the ferry at tea time and off after breakfast. The ferry is very nice and they take you into Bruge the next day where you book into your hotel and stay. Returning the same way when you go home.

The architecture is fab
  • Jeremiah_T_Stone
    Jeremiah_T_Stone Posts: 751 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 8:41AM
    Good morning lovely peoples :wave:

I've been rather poorly recently, but my bloods show I'm good to go for my 3rd round tomorrow.

diluvsdiscounts - thank you so much again for your advice about Ondansetron. I spoke to my Oncologist and asked him for more for the next round. Without hesitation he agreed to give me the full 5 days worth rather than just the 2 days :j

Hugs and positive thoughts to all those that are going through rough times :A

And thank you TM :A
    Fighting Recurring Cancer
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Morning all.
    Just been checking my bank, and Adsa have not taken the money out of my bank for a C&C I did a week ago (7th). Do they normally take this long? TIA
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family