Smeg Exploding Oven Door

I purchased my Smeg oven costing £499.99 from Currys on the 31 August 2015.

It came with a 5 year warranty.

I've not had a full year's use out of the oven, but when I attempted to use the pyroclictic cleaning function for the second time yesterday, the inner glass door completely shattered.

We had hot glass everywhere.

I need to ask what the warranty covers.

I have sent an email to the CEO of Currys, asking for either a replacement or a full refund of the item and quoted the Sale of Goods Act.

I've had to registered the 5 year warranty through Smeg, and have been told to phone back in 48 hours.

Personally, Currys supplied the item, they should offer replacement surely what are my rights please?

Comments

• I have sent an email to the CEO of Currys, asking for either a replacement or a full refund of the item and quoted the Sale of Goods Act.

Personally, Currys supplied the item, they should offer replacement surely what are my rights please?

If the oven is deemed to have an inherent fault (basically a manufacturing fault), the SOGA states that the retailer must provide a resolution.
    This can be a repair, a replacement or a refund (which can be a partial refund) and it's basically the retailer that gets to choose the option.
    If they opt for a repair then they will probably arrange for the manufacturer to carry this out.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Surely it's not the best of ideas to "quote the Sale of Goods Act" and then ask what are your rights.

As above, the onus is on you to prove that an inherent fault exists for which the retailer most likely will ask you to do via a paid for engineer's report. If this is in your favour then are obliged to offer you a remedy of repair, replacement or refund (taking into account the usage you've already had).
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do CEO's deal with warranty returns now?
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I purchased my Smeg oven costing £499.99 from Currys on the 31 August 2015.

It came with a 5 year warranty.

I've not had a full year's use out of the oven, but when I attempted to use the pyroclictic cleaning function for the second time yesterday, the inner glass door completely shattered.

We had hot glass everywhere.

I need to ask what the warranty covers.

I have sent an email to the CEO of Currys, asking for either a replacement or a full refund of the item and quoted the Sale of Goods Act.

I've had to registered the 5 year warranty through Smeg, and have been told to phone back in 48 hours.

Your rights are to a replacement, refund or repair if you can prove it's a manufacturing defect as above this would be via an independent report. I'd maybe see what SMEG suggest they may just replace it without the rigmarole.
    Forwandert wrote: »
    Do CEO's deal with warranty returns now?
    There's a common misconception that the CEO even reads the emails - they do not. Most of the emails you see floating around are just glorified customer service emails.
  • I have sent an email to the CEO of Currys, asking for either a replacement or a full refund
    cono1717 wrote: »
    There's a common misconception that the CEO even reads the emails - they do not. Most of the emails you see floating around are just glorified customer service emails.
    Yes, generally speaking, a customer service clerk (claiming to be from the CEO's "office") will deal with complaints addressed to the CEO.
    The Chief Exec does not deal with such run-of-the-mill queries.

I can understand people who have been given poor service attempting to "escalate" their complaint, but not right at the outset.
  • cono1717
    Interesting fact - back when I was working for Currys (way before the Carphone merger) Seb James used to respond almost instantly on twitter - gradually the Store Medics (as they were called then) came and responded on his behalf now I don't think he responds to a lot.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cono1717 wrote: »
    Interesting fact - back when I was working for Currys (way before the Carphone merger) Seb James used to respond almost instantly on twitter - gradually the Store Medics (as they were called then) came and responded on his behalf now I don't think he responds to a lot.
    I think that was part of companies being seen to embrace Social Media as the next big thing. Now that the novelty has worn off, I'm not surprised he no longer finds the time...
  • cono1717
    I think that was part of companies being seen to embrace Social Media as the next big thing. Now that the novelty has worn off, I'm not surprised he no longer finds the time...
    Used to be a great way of jumping the usual head office queue. Need more promotional items and store medics are taking forever? Tweet Seb.
  • What an awful name for a company to call themselves, sounds very unclean....and smelly.
  • cono1717
    What an awful name for a company to call themselves, sounds very unclean....and smelly.
    A quick (and very risky thanks to google auto search) Wikipedia reveals The name is an acronym for Smalterie Metallurgiche Emiliane Guastalla ("Emilian metallurgical enamel works of Guastalla").
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure