SIPP Questions

Options
Hi everyone,

I recently started a SIPP and have a few questions regarding its affect on my taxes.

I am currently working and living abroad but I still have income in the UK seperately from my foreign employer, where I am sensibly getting paid here up to the tax allowance of £11,000. From my research, it seems my max contributions that include tax relief are £3,600 (inclusive of the tax relief). Is this correct?

Then the more important question is, would these £2880 contributions reduce taxable income by that equivalent pre tax amount, meaning I could get paid £14,600 without any income tax obligations in the U.K.?

Thanks

Comments

• robin61
    robin61 Posts: 677 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:59AM
    Options
    This is how it normally works.
    If you earn £11k i.e. that would be what you would expect to see on your P60 that is the maximum amount gross you can put into your SIPP.
    So if you put in £8800 your pension company will top that up by £2200. It makes no difference that you have not been taxed on the original £11000. If you want to put in less than £11k same rules apply.
    People who earn nothing can put £2800 in and have that topped up to £3600 in the same way.

So I guess the question is does your £11k definitely count as UK earnings ? I am not sure how or if you living abroad complicates this. Perhaps others will be able to confirm.
  • JasonPr
    JasonPr Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    robin61 wrote: »
    So I guess the question is does your £11k definitely count as UK earnings ?

I agree that this is the main question to ask before anything else can be answered.

Is the work done for that "UK employment" done in the UK or elsewhere?
  • Milb
    Milb Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Yes this income is solely tied to activity in the U.K.

So the SIPP contribution would reduce taxable wages in my P60? Meaning I can generate more income without it being in the 20% tax bracket.
  • robin61
    Options
    Milb wrote: »
    Yes this income is solely tied to activity in the U.K.

So the SIPP contribution would reduce taxable wages in my P60? Meaning I can generate more income without it being in the 20% tax bracket.

No it wouldnt reduce the gross pay on your P60. That would still be £11k.
    Have a look at my previous post again that tells you how the tax relief works. Basically it means you put £8800 into your SIPP. It gets made up to £11,000. You can put This in providing you have £11k in UK earnings.

Do you actually get a P60 from your employer or a tax code from HMRC ?
  • Milb
    edited 16 October 2016 at 8:25PM
    Options
    Yes I get a P60, pay NI and even pay some income tax due to an error in tax code from previous P11D or something. It is also nothing to do with my employment abroad, essentially it is pay for some consulting/retainer from a previous employer in the U.K. I negotiated up to that amount, it isn't a dodgy as it might initially sound, at least I hope!

It finally clicked than any additional income would mean that I essentially pay for the tax relief I am receiving, which is perhaps the more moral thing to do.

I do not think it's exactly right that I could put in the full £8,800 and get full tax relief up to my earnings, and have the remaining amount minus NI. However, I will still up my contributions from the £2,880. They have got me before and will no doubt get me again tax wise.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  • robin61
    edited 16 October 2016 at 9:44PM
    Options
    Yes I get a P60, pay NI and even pay some income tax due to an error in tax code from previous P11D or something. It is also nothing to do with my employment abroad, essentially it is pay for some consulting/retainer from a previous employer in the U.K. I negotiated up to that amount, it isn't a dodgy as it might initially sound, at least I hope!

It finally clicked than any additional income would mean that I essentially pay for the tax relief I am receiving, which is perhaps the more moral thing to do.

I do not think it's exactly right that I could put in the full £8,800 and get full tax relief up to my earnings, and have the remaining amount minus NI. However, I will still up my contributions from the £2,880. They have got me before and will no doubt get me again tax wise.

Thanks everyone for your help.

If you are paying into a SIPP the 20% tax relief is added to your contributions by the pension company and then they claim it from HMRC.

You can save whatever you earn as a gross salary in a tax year into your SIPP up to a maximum of £40k per annum but you can't put in more than you earn in that tax year. So if you earn a gross salary of £11k you can put £11k gross into your SIPP to get a gross figure of £11k you only need to put in £8800 net.

Here is an online calculator.

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/interactive-calculators/tax-relief-calculator

So you can earn £11k pay no income tax on it as your personal allowance is £11k you can keep £2200 and put the remaining £8800 into your SIPP and the pension company will top it up to £11000.
    The small amount you pay in NI does not matter as it is your gross salary that determines how much you can invest.
  • Milb
    Options
    You explained this well before, but it is a good clarification. I meant right from a moral standpoint not on the factuality of the information.

Thanks again for your help.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:44PM
    Options
    I recently started a SIPP and have a few questions regarding its affect on my taxes.
    When you started the SIPP did you tell the SIPP firm that you are not a UK resident person? If you did not and are not UK resident for income tax purposes you should do so as soon as possible. Normally a UK firm would refuse to allow you to open a new SIPP and would refuse to allow you to make contributions, in part on the basis that you would be assumed not to be entitled to any UK tax relief on your pension contributions.

Detailed rules on whether you're a relevant UK individual eligible to receive UK pension tax relief are given in PTM044100:

"An individual is a relevant UK individual for a tax year if they:
    • have relevant UK earnings chargeable to income tax for that tax year,
    • are resident in the United Kingdom at some time during that tax year,
    • were resident in the UK at some time during the five tax years immediately before the tax year in question and they were also resident in the UK when they joined the pension scheme, or
    • have for that tax year general earnings from overseas Crown employment subject to UK tax (as defined by section 28 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003), or
    • are the spouse or civil partner of an individual who has for the tax year general earnings from overseas Crown employment subject to UK tax (as defined by section 28 of the Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003)."
    It appears that you are no longer UK resident for income tax so whether you were in the previous five tax years could be what determines whether you are a relevant UK individual entitled to relief or not.

Alternatively, you might "have relevant UK earnings chargeable to income tax" depending on what the double taxation treaty for your country of residence says. If it says that your income is to be taxed there rather than in the UK then you don't have earnings chargeable to income tax in the UK.

In addition it's unclear whether you have any UK income tax liability at all. The normal tax treaty provisions specify that income tax is due in the country of tax residence, not the country where the income is paid, though there are many details and exceptions. HMRC has a Digest of current double taxation treaties that can provide some initial guidance.

If you're a citizen of a European Economic Area country or are UK resident you have a UK personal allowance for income tax. If neither applies you probably don't unless you're working for the British government. You'll need to claim your personal allowance every year using form R43 if you're entitled to it while being non-resident in the UK.
  • Milb
    edited 17 October 2016 at 1:02AM
    Options
    This was the simplest question to see how much I can contribute to my SIPP and if there were any further efficiencies to be had from this contribution. I think it is beyond this question to start posting all of this regarding taxes and residence, but I appreciate the holistic approach to the question.

This may help clarify some of the situation to you.

I recently (more recently then the SIPP) moved abroad and I would come under dual residence, I fully expect to and would currently legally have to be back in the UK within the next few years. I am yet to be here for tax time in both countries, but the accountant will sort out the finer technicalities of any DTA and what needs to be declared where. I can also assure you that I am in a very high tax country so you do not have to feel like I am somehow personally benefitting from this in any substantial way.

It was a much more complicated question to query how much gross income applies to the UK after any double taxation is applied to that income, to then have to figure out how much can be contributed to my SIPP, when I know that at the very least, my gross uk income will be at least £11,000 and am 100% sure this does not get declared in the country that I am currently living in.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On the much simpler question, yes, the £3,600 would reduce your income tax liability by that much so you could increase your UK income as desired.

Your place(s) of residence might completely ignore that and charge you income tax on it anyway. Depends on the specifics of the treaties that apply and their own local laws. But at least the UK part would be relatively simple.

No need to worry about me criticising being in a low tax location, I'd encourage it because this place is abut saving money and that's a useful way sometimes. I went holistic because lots of people don't appreciate that the eligibility issues can be a bit fiddly and it's nice not to let people accidentally claim tax relief they aren't entitled to, beats sorting out a mess later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure