insurance company liquidating, will have to pay double

My hubby is a black cabbie, so has public liability insurance. He took out a policy in June, and opted to make monthly payments. He signed a deal where the first month was £240 then 9x £120 monthly payments are due and then it is paid out for the year. We were informed about a month ago that the insurance firm is liquidating, but to do nothing as of yet and wait to be informed as to what the next step is. We had a phone call today to inform us that the he will be insured until 26th Oct. They can recommend another insurance firm who will give him the same deal that he had now. However because he took the pay monthly option he still has to continue paying the £120 a month for the original policy until the end of the contracted period because the policy has been paid in full by a loan company and our agreements are for payments to the loan company and not the insurance company. So he will have to pay the rest of the existing 'loan' and pay for new insurance on top. They advised we may get some of the money back but I realise that we might not. It feels like we should stop paying, but were informed today that we would have debt collectors involved if we just stopped paying. Has anyone experienced anything like this, and is there anything we can do to get out of this, as paying double is going to cripple us

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Which insurance company?
  • Your debt is with the finance company who paid the insurer the full premium, hence them asking for the instalments to continue even though the insurer is ceasing.
    It'll be interesting to know the insurer as above.

All I can suggest is try cancelling your policy before the 26th, that way you can legitimately argue that the insurer should refund the finance company (unless you've claimed this year and the who premium is due regardless). The insurer probably won't, given their finances, but that is then the finance companies problem, not yours.
  • Just to add - I think the insurer is Enterprise Insurance, a Gibraltarian insurer...
  • Mr_Poves
    Mr_Poves Posts: 238 Forumite
    It is Enterprise , and I'm in exactly the same position , I really don't know what to do either , surely it should not be left to us as the consumer to deal with this problem .
    All I'm getting is emails reminding me to keep paying as per the credit agreement .
    Then another today informing me I'm not insured from the 26th of this month , but to keep paying the premium .
  • paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:30AM
    As suggested above, if you cancel the insurance with Enterprise before they fold, they owe the finance company, not you.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    ...As the company isn't U.K. Registered, its liabilities aren't covered by the FSCS which is basically free consumer insurance against the financial services industry.

FSCS is paying Enterprise claims, including motor insurance claims now. It will also be covering return of premium claims for Enterprise customers.

http://www.fscs.org.uk/news/2016/september/fscs-warns-people-with-enterprise-insurance-motor-policies-to-find-new-cover/
  • I stand corrected!
  • what is the name of this insurance company dear?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Does your (enterprise) policy state that if you cancel you get any return of premium?

If so cancel in accordance with the cancellation procedure set out in the policy, then put in a claim to FSCS for your return of premium.

In the meantime you do need to keep to your agreement with the finance company who arranged the loan.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    I stand corrected!

Why not edit ( or delete) your "authoritative" but incorrect post regarding the FSCS only protecting customers of UK insurers going bust, and your incorrect assertion that those who don't insure with a UK company should be "reminded" about this as they only get what they pay for??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure