MSE News: Potholes costing £1 million a month in car repairs

2»

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I've said what needs to be said and I am correct. More reports = better quality roads. Everyone knows this simple relationship makes sense and the evidence is that my local area's roads are better off because of my efforts. I reiterate that it's unfortunate that more members of the public don't do the same for their local community.
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    No I didn't, that was somebody else!

It was mark88man who said that - unfortunately the multi-quote didn't work to include his post. Unfortunate that this turned into an issue for you.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 9:59PM
    Crabman wrote: »
    I've said what needs to be said and I am correct.

You're definitely something.
    More reports = better quality roads. Everyone knows this simple relationship makes sense and the evidence is that my local area's roads are better off because of my efforts. I reiterate that it's unfortunate that more members of the public don't do the same for their local community.

You've ignored everything I said.
    It was mark88man who said that - unfortunately the multi-quote didn't work to include his post. Unfortunate that this turned into an issue for you.

As written, your post implied that I had said it, when I hadn't. It was perfectly reasonable of me to point that out.
  • mparter
    mparter Posts: 409 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Funny how the councils seem to have the money to put down speed bump after speed bump but they don't have it to all in the holes in the road!!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    minislim wrote: »
    i cant take credit for this as it was something i saw on facebook.

but why do we have to ensure our vehicles are roadworthy by passing an MOT.
    Yet the roads themselves that these cars drive on are sometimes not roadworthy.

maybe its time roads were subjected to such strict regimes.

If a car fails an MOT it's not allowed to be driven on the road under normal circumstances.

Are you suggesting roads should be checked (which they are already) but if any defects are found then they should be closed and not be allowed to be driven on?. Imagine the chaos that would cause!.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    takman wrote: »
    If a car fails an MOT it's not allowed to be driven on the road under normal circumstances.

Are you suggesting roads should be checked (which they are already) but if any defects are found then they should be closed and not be allowed to be driven on?. Imagine the chaos that would cause!.

The suggestion I’m sure is that the road should be repaired and made safe - not closed.

And that’s exactly the way it used to be before the Conservatives and their wrecking balls took over in 2010.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    The suggestion I’m sure is that the road should be repaired and made safe - not closed.

And that’s exactly the way it used to be before the Conservatives and their wrecking balls took over in 2010.

But that's how the current system works. The road is inspected by the council and pot holes are recorded, they are then repaired in order of priority. Currently there isn't enough resources/money so lot of pot holes don't get repaired for a long time.

I don't see how introducing a new system of stricter inspections will make any difference at all considering it won't change the fact their isn't enough resources/money to fix them.

I think increasing the budget for road repairs should be the first step before any kind of new inspection system is introduced.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    takman wrote: »
    But that's how the current system works. The road is inspected by the council and pot holes are recorded, they are then repaired in order of priority. Currently there isn't enough resources/money so lot of pot holes don't get repaired for a long time.

I don't see how introducing a new system of stricter inspections will make any difference at all considering it won't change the fact their isn't enough resources/money to fix them.

I think increasing the budget for road repairs should be the first step before any kind of new inspection system is introduced.

Exactly my point - it's the funding cuts that are the problem, and until they're reversed things can only get worse.

It's going to cost getting on for £15bn to put things right (fat chance!) and the government's promised £100m.

Totally false economy of course - a bit like saving money by not bothering to repair your roof, and then having to rebuild the whole house because the water got in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure