PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller wants to take light fittings and curtain rails?

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    None of my stuff's expensive or irreplaceable.

I'll just be walking out and leaving all the poles, venetian blinds and lampshades. I marked on the F&F sheet that I would be removing two lampshades, but I might leave them... they cost £8 each new and I bought the pair for 50p from a car boot.... I just like them :) When it comes down to it though I might just decide that climbing a ladder, then finding a box they fit into, then putting them into storage, is too much effort for something that can be found again at another car boot.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish more kitchens were removable and gone :)

I dislike the choices others have made in their kitchens, especially with any built in appliances.

Give me a free standing kitchen, with just a sink standing, and that's ideal.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The owner wants to take the curtain poles and also a light fitting that has been screwed into the ceiling in several places.

From a buyer's perspective, they're the type of things I always end up replacing anyway so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options

I dislike the choices others have made in their kitchens, especially with any built in appliances.

We had a kitchen rather like that in the house we bought back in 1992.

The one we inherited there was falling to bits and as it was a very small/odd shaped room we decided to replace it with free-standing stuff.

So, we had a free-standing oven, a 6' wide dresser that took up one entire wall and we had a butler sink unit custom built to fit beneath the window. There was no space for any other appliances, but fortunately we also had a walk-in larder with space for a fridge freezer and a small utility area just off the kitchen where we plumbed in the washing machine.

When we sold the house after five years, we stated that the sink unit was included obviously. Our buyer (a single, elderly lady) said she'd like the free-standing oven and dresser too, which we included for free - although a subsequent sale a few years later showed that she'd had a fitted kitchen installed and had moved the dresser into the conservatory.......
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • comedyseeker123
    Options
    From a buyer's perspective, they're the type of things I always end up replacing anyway so it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

So just leave them up haha.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've taken expensive light fittings with me before & usually replaced either with a standard white pendant or something decent I've picked up second hand. My full length curtains usually come with me too, as they're very expensive to have made & floor to ceiling lengths are pretty standard within perhaps a couple of inches, but if I don't think they're going to fit I leave them behind.

It's the people who take lightbulbs & things such as toilet roll holders, towel rails etc. who amuse me. Yes they're things that will be replaced but handy to have whilst you get fully sorted out in the new place.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • comedyseeker123
    Options

Yes they've replaced the kitchen but the layout and choice is awful. However it could take me a few weeks to decide what to do and get the fitters (months)… so I guess its better to have them haha.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    cattie wrote: »
    It's the people who take lightbulbs & things such as toilet roll holders, towel rails etc. who amuse me. Yes they're things that will be replaced but handy to have whilst you get fully sorted out in the new place.

Possibly done out of spite by sellers who've had to accept a lower offer than they wanted?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, shoot me down, y'all. In our last move we took all sorts of things you would normally leave but made it perfectly clear to our buyers both in person and on the F and F form we were doing so. Our reasons were personal and mostly sentimental.

We offered to replace the door knobs (yes, you read that right; end of line, never seen anything like them again) and other stuff like light fittings but they said they would prefer to choose their own. We offered to reduce the price to cover these items and they politely declined! I think they knew they were getting a bargain and seemed to love the house as much as we did.

We did leave them some patio furniture, a petrol mower and a whole load of other stuff which more than covered the cost of the items we were taking so I do not think they felt short-changed at all, probably because we were very upfront about it from the word "go". So long as they were happy... :p:D
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    So just leave them up haha.

That doesn't make sense, I'm talking about BUYING - I wouldn't be bothered about the seller leaving them for me as I'd probably replace them anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure