Default Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2019

Comments

• John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    This is a recently released travelogue video of the area around Las Vegas, including Rhyolite ghost town, Mount Charleston, and finally a drive along the Strip at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv5Jy3IoLac
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,953
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Stuie, the weather must have been waiting for me to arrive! Got here yesterday afternoon, just as it improved. Weather has been awful till now.

We have always come the first 2 weeks in May until 2 years ago when we moved to first 2 weeks in June. I see it will be 38C later this week.

Sorry about the gambling. Hope the last few days are better. We will be at the Bellagio for 2 nights from Monday, MyVegas comp.

Did a raid on Walmart last night and left 2 hours later and $135 lighter, but so much cheaper. 30 cans of beer $18.98 compared to the best price on the strip of $22 for 20 cans. Migraine tablets about a third of the price of CVS own brand on the strip.

Crashed at 23.30 after being up for 27.5 hours straight and have been up since 03.00.

Gospel Brunch this morning on a MyVegas 2 for 1 and may hit the South Outlets after that.
  • luci
    Forumite
    stoneman wrote: »
    Well if he uses your referral code then you will both get some free rides
    Thanks.

I found a code for $5 off the first 10 rides which was a far better deal than any referral code I found so signed him up with that. 3 rides so far and none over $6 :j:j

Haven't finalised the last ride yet as I'm not sure about the tip. Driver didn't get out of the car, didn't speak a word except to answer me when I first got in. He didn't offer water, candy, etc. He was American so no language barrier. Even if he'd got out when we emptied the boot it would have been something. Not sure whether to tip or not or how much as we certainly didn't get anything to warrant one. Also not sure what rating to give him or whether to leave feedback. I still have a couple of hours before finalising it.

Thoughts?
  • luci
    Forumite
    Interesting...

Not staying at Platinum, but have been looking at a few nights at Red Rock. We don't have many Avios but have enough for 2 nights. Would prefer 3 nights there, but fair enough as I could probably add a night. Rate I'm seeing on Priceline is $103 plus taxes. Our points appear to be worth £200 off flights. So that might be a reasonable way to use them.

I had looked up LA hotels, but the points would only buy one night out there, but rates are much higher there. Will keep this in mind - thanks.

Our other option to use them is travelling to a wedding in London later in September.
    Have you tried Kayak for hotels?

Not something I have ever used, but did a couple of months ago for some unknown reason. It came up with a cracking rate for a Corner Junior Suite at the Golden Nugget on Agoda, less than a third of booking direct with the hotel. I booked direct with Agoda via TCB. Not convinced it will be honoured till I actually get the room next week.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610
    Forumite
    luci wrote: »
    Thanks.

I found a code for $5 off the first 10 rides which was a far better deal than any referral code I found so signed him up with that. 3 rides so far and none over $6 :j:j

Haven't finalised the last ride yet as I'm not sure about the tip. Driver didn't get out of the car, didn't speak a word except to answer me when I first got in. He didn't offer water, candy, etc. He was American so no language barrier. Even if he'd got out when we emptied the boot it would have been something. Not sure whether to tip or not or how much as we certainly didn't get anything to warrant one. Also not sure what rating to give him or whether to leave feedback. I still have a couple of hours before finalising it.

Thoughts?

That's a no tip from me.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • StuieUK34 wrote: »
    Small update:
    Got to LV on 24th... Didnt get to sit in the sun until the 29th, and that wasnt for long, same for the 30th.......
    It was only yesterday and today, we have had proper hot sun......
    Last week, the temps were as low as 17c, with some rain drops on the evening..... was seriously cold with the wind! UNREAL given the time of year!

Slots = WASTE OF TIME!
    I do max bet on the slots (ranging from $5 to $8.88).
    Where as last year, i had some wins that ranged from 20/1 to 150/1 odds ($6 on willy wonka = wins upto $800), its almost like all the slots i am playing on at Max Bet just said the money, and when i do hit the bonus feature, its a joke!!

Willy wonka = bnous feature/oompa lumpa win from $6 = $90 average
    the $8.88 machines = $112 biggest win from the features
    lock it Link = $160 biggest win (from $5)
    Buffalo = machines just take my money and offer no wins, the$6 and £3.75 machines....

However, i see other players and myself a few times, winning good when reducing the bets to $1 - $3 !
    Its like the slots are toned down for the Max Bet's :(
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ellis Island Ribs = Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm !! $18.99 for a full rack, and they are amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing!!!!!!! :D

Hire cars = Dodge Challenger R/T x2 and a Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi :D loving the 9 - 12mpg !

Caesars Palace (1st time comp and stay with that group, had julius room booked for comp, got upgraded to the premuim palace tower room, has his & hers bathrooms) , real nice room, and liking the swim up blackjack in the pool !

We at Bellagio now, never staying here again (trip report coming soon)..... got 3 nights left, i need to win some $$$ and not put it all back into the slots!

Ellis island food is the best value meal in Vegas imo, and only a very short walk from the main strip.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks.

Thoughts?
    The only time I tip an Uber/Lyft is to or from the airport when they help with bags.
    If you look on some of their forums they say about 80% don’t tip, and we use them 2-4 times a day
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Crashed at 23.30 after being up for 27.5 hours straight and have been up since 03.00.
    Oh dear, that sounds so much like what I do every trip!
  • luci
    Forumite
    stoneman wrote: »
    The only time I tip an Uber/Lyft is to or from the airport when they help with bags.
    If you look on some of their forums they say about 80% don’t tip, and we use them 2-4 times a day
    Do you have a link or name of some of their forums?

OH wanted to tip him, but in the end I didn't as I answered my own question just by typing it on here. However I did leave feedback explaining why. I always tip minimum 20%, but usually 25-30% if the driver has been pleasant. The way I see it is I am still quids in over using taxis and I am more than happy to not have to deal with taxi drivers.

Before ride sharing started in Vegas, we went to the Paris buffet after 21.00 thinking it would be quiet. The line was a mile long. I quickly booked Charlie Palmer Steak for 21.45 and WALKED there rather than get a taxi, not because of the cost of the taxi, but purely so I didn't have to deal with the driver's attitude. I once had a driver shout at the airport for everyone to hear, "CALL THAT A TIP!!", but I was ready for his and shouted back, "Is 20% not good enough for you?!!!" A horrible end to a trip that I brooded about for a long time, even though I felt I was right. Even before that, I used to tip over 100% if it was a short run just to avoid that kind of situation.

I have no idea whether tipping or not affects the rating the driver gives you as there is no way of checking it with Lyft. Even with Uber, apparently my rating should be under my name in the app, but there's nothing there although I have only used them once.

There is a new ride sharing service launched by RTC 2 weeks ago between the strip and the airport, but I haven't looked into it. That should be another nail in the coffin of the taxis.
  • luci
    Forumite
    Oh dear, that sounds so much like what I do every trip!
    One trip I was chuffed that I managed to stay up till midnight before going to bed. I woke thinking I'd been sleeping for ages, only to find it was 10 past midnight!

Went to the Gospel Brunch today and from there to the outlets, knowing it was a bit ambitious for our first day. I was passing out tired and my dogs were barking when we left there at 16.30. Still going despite only having 3 hours sleep in the past 48 hours. I expect to have adjusted to Vegas time just in time to come home and have jetlag all over again. Every trip I swear I'm not doing it again as I feel awful for about 10 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure