Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• Well good and bad news on the shawl front. I did a few hours on it and then decided I didn't like it so unraveled it and started again and it is going well now, I've got about one third of the main part done and then need to work out the fancy edging. The good news is that my slightly achey, possibly arthritic, right hand is feeling great. Is crochet therapy for achey joints or is it a coincidence? Either way I'm not knocking it as it feels good to have totally pain free hands.

I'm still feeling tired after the last couple of days and I've got the dentist tomorrow so need to be up and about early as I have the first appointment at 8.30. Don't know why I agreed to that time as I will get stuck in school traffic going to the next town where my dentist is. Crazy of me. Still as long as my teeth are OK I won't worry too much.

On the fabbing front I am still hunting for a hairdresser so next week I'm trying a little village salon that I've heard good things about. I will feel so much better if I can find someone who can cut well.

Lovely sunny afternoon here, definitely feeling like spring.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you all so much for your kind words.

Onwards and upwards as they say (or downwards in the weight loss department!)

I realise that I don't really have any hobbies. I love to read, but knitting, or crocheting etc are things that I don't do.

I think I need to change that and start trying things to see what I enjoy. are there classes for things like this?
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,596
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Frankie M, I'm useless at knitting and stuff too but like reading. I am sure there are classes. I've heard of knitting circles where I am sure someone will teach you!
    Local colleges have other type of craft classes and one off sessions. My Daughter when to a wreath making class last December and came home with a home made wreath which was lovely
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Morning Beauties
    Hairdresser this afternoon and boy does it need it! My hair has a wave in it so now it's sticking out both sides as I've left it longer than usual just so I could get a cut in just before I go on holiday.
    I'm still doing the kitchen exercises - they work for me while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil :)
    Happy fabbing chums
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    sheilavw wrote: »
    Local colleges have other type of craft classes and one off sessions. My Daughter when to a wreath making class last December and came home with a home made wreath which was lovely

I was going to do that last year.

I might do it this Christmas instead.:)
  • A Christmas wreath sounds lovely. I'd forgotten how satisfying it is to make something. I'm not very creative, well I don't think I used to have much time but of course now retired time is more flexible. I'm really loving seeing the shawl grow. The pattern is established now so I can watch TV or chat while I'm doing it, when it comes to the fancy lacy it will be a bit more intense.
  • FrankieM wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for your kind words.

Onwards and upwards as they say (or downwards in the weight loss department!)

I realise that I don't really have any hobbies. I love to read, but knitting, or crocheting etc are things that I don't do.

I think I need to change that and start trying things to see what I enjoy. are there classes for things like this?

I'm not dieting but I've realised doing something like crochet would be great for a dieter. I get so involved in it I keep putting off eating and snacking is a nuisance as I don't want to get any marks on my hard work. I love reading but it wouldn't help me diet as I like munching while reading.

Good luck with the diet and maybe the crochet diet is the way to go:rotfl:
  • Good morning lovely ladies

Happy Vernal Equinox......Spring has sprung. Wahoo. :D. Lighter evenings and warmer days are on their way.

Does anyone of a certain age remember this song.

"Summer is a coming in, loudly sing cuckoo". (Sorry can't do a link). They used to play it on the radio on school broadcasts when I was in the infants. It's such a jolly rousing tune. We all used to love it and sang with gusto, raising the roof.

As our kids would say.......a bangin tune. :rotfl:

Apparently today is National Happiness Day so perhaps it's time to think about what makes us happy.

Some people spend their whole lives chasing the Blue Bird of Happiness but never seem to find it. Like Eeyore they go through life with a big dark cloud hanging over them.

Some people seem to be naturally possessed of some mysterious happiness gene, always content, always smiling. My mum was just such a lady, always serene, gentle and at peace with herself.

That is not to say that she didn't have moments of melancholy and despair - she did, she had episodes of depression, but she always held hope in her heart and always took pleasure in small things.

She was a natural optimist, like myself. But I think optimism isn't merely inherent, that you are either born with it or you aren't. I think optimism can be learned, that it is an acquired skill.

Ladies. Today is the first day of spring, a time for happiness, joy, optimism and new beginnings......and yes, a perfect time for nest fabbing.:rotfl:

Enjoy the day.

I find that song incredibly sinister. The reason being, it was used in the original version of The Wicker Man (with Edward Woodward), and the villagers were all happily singing it and dancing in a ring while that poor man was burning to death.

That 'jolly rousing tune' had a background of screams of agony and the villagers just carried on regardless. That is why I find it sinister, I always hear the screams :(

The original Wicker Man was the scariest, creepiest film I have ever seen.

Sorry about that downbeat note, hope I haven't spoiled anyone's day :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Hi fabbers - I love reading all of the updates even if I don't get to post much!

OH and I will be tackling my roots tonight, so the black at the top will be gone by tomorrow :rotfl:

I am also planning on giving myself a DIY pedicure and facial this weekend :)
  • I remember that film it was creepy. I think music does stick in your head with its associations. I can't hear "You are my sunshine" without getting tearful which does sound bizarre but when my mother was dying my youngest son spent his pocket money on a Get Well Soon Card that played it when you opened the card. When he gave it to her she was barely conscious and it was the last time she responded to anything.

We've both got strange associations there then, you with your sinister association with a happy song and me with my sad memories with a cheerful little song.

Lots of songs have happy memories though so it works both ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure