How long do I have to make an unauthorized transaction claim ?

Hiya,
Well i'm really confused right know and I was hoping I could get some help here.
I have an HSBC account with a debit card and I've reported 2 unauthorized transactions to a company that sell flights, trains and buses tickets.
HSBC says I shoud have complain within 120 days to get a refund.
I've made some research online and HSBC terms and conditions says that I have 13 months to report an unauthorized transaction but on another website I found that the chargeback scheme that offers certain bank has a time limit of 120 days.
So i'm really confused here, which one apply to my situation ?

Thank in advance for your help

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 August 2019 at 6:37AM
    If HSBC state you must report it in a set timescale then that's what must be done. Why on earth would it take 13 months to pick up the phone?

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-use-chargeback
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 August 2019 at 9:36AM
    Mimi230 wrote: »
    This timescale likely relates to chargeback rules which aren't relevant here.

The point is that on two occasions your bank has debited your account without your authorisation (I'm assuming this isn't a simple case of buyer's remorse). You want your bank to refund these monies. Whether the bank can use chargeback rules to reclaim the money itself is the bank's concern, not yours.

You need to raise a complaint with your bank about its refusal to refund these unauthorised payments from your account - and then likely pursue this complaint through the Financial Ombudsman Service. And, in future, check your statements much more regularly.
  • Why are you voluntarily wanting to drag this out?

Just get it done...
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I regularly check my account, 4 times a week at least, I know all my transactions, I contact the bank if there is a transaction I don't know, asking what it was for, these transactions are normally not cleared by my account as they are current balance and available balance. I had two transaction stopped a few years ago, someone tried to add credit to their 02 phone in quick succession I logged in and queried the transactions and had them stopped within hours of the transaction being made.

Keep a regular check on the account balance and available balance then you will spot any transactions that you have not authorised, the sooner it is spotted the more likely you won't lose the money.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • CityLite
    CityLite Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2019 at 10:11AM
    Hiya,
    Well i'm really confused right know and I was hoping I could get some help here.
    I have an HSBC account with a debit card and I've reported 2 unauthorized transactions to a company that sell flights, trains and buses tickets.
    I've made some research online and HSBC terms and conditions says that I have 13 months to report an unauthorized transaction but on another website I found that the chargeback scheme that offers certain bank has a time limit of 120 days.

An unauthorised transaction is not the same as a chargeback ;)

If you have noticed an unauthorised transaction on your account, you should notify the card issuer as soon as possible (why wouldn't you? :huh:)

Of course, in many instances, you may not spot the unauthorised transaction until you receive the statement on which it is included.
  • Thanks to @CityLite and @Chino for your constructive reply.
    I will try to contact HSBC again and if it doesn't work i'll make a complain.

To reply to some I usually check my account often but these two transactions were made at a time when I was heavily pregnant and when baby arrived well I just didn't get the time to check my account properly.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hiya,

Whilst both are correct - you have 13 months to report an unauthorised transaction and 120 days to initiate a chargeback - you only need to worry about the 13 month limit, as chargeback isn't the only way to refund an unauthorised transaction.

Short version: You have 13 months.
  • Ergates
    wild666 wrote: »
    I regularly check my account, 4 times a week at least, I know all my transactions......

Keep a regular check on the account balance and available balance then you will spot any transactions that you have not authorised, the sooner it is spotted the more likely you won't lose the money.

That's good for you if that's how you like to operate your account, however you must realise that this isn't what most people do. What's more, people shouldn't *have* to keep checking their account nearly every day.
  • Ergates
    !!! wrote: »
    Why are you voluntarily wanting to drag this out?

Just get it done...

Pretty clear the OP isn't trying to drag things out, but has only noticed the transactions once the 120 day period has passed and is thus concerned that they may not be able to get a refund.
  • Ergates wrote: »
    Whilst both are correct - you have 13 months to report an unauthorised transaction and 120 days to initiate a chargeback - you only need to worry about the 13 month limit, as chargeback isn't the only way to refund an unauthorised transaction.

Short version: You have 13 months.

I would disagree slightly. While you are completely correct about the 13 months in my experience its a easier/smoother process for a customer (and bank) to deal with a fraud claim within the chargeback timeframe. A customer would likely be subject to a lot more questioning the longer it was left, although hopefully, the correct/same outcome would be reached.

Just my 2 cents :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport