Debt Free by 60 Goal

I've just had my 55th birthday and have made a promise to myself to be debt-free by the time I'm 60 so hopefully, I can join the Debt-Free Wannabee Club and make it happen. :beer:

My own personal debts consist of a loan and a credit card. My loan still has 45 months to run on it and the balance is currently £7682 (3.2%) and today I have applied for an M&S credit card with 0% balance transfer for 28 months to transfer my Nationwide credit card balance which is currently £2466.

I currently pay the credit card minimum payment via Direct Debit but also overpay by £40a month (but not every month - especially just before Christmas) and now I've been accepted for the balance transfer I plan to pay minimum Direct Debit and again, overpay up to a total of £100 a month. This is what I'm hoping! ;)

I am planning to let the loan deal with itself via Direct Debit without overpayments UNTIL the credit card balance is paid off and then I'll overpay the loan by £100 a month.

If I can stick to this plan, I can be free of personal debts before my 60th birthday! :bdaycake:
DEBT FREE BY 60
Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
Debt at May 2022 = £5268
Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024

Comments

• Hey Socks

Good luck with the debt free push. I was just reading some of your old threads and was wondering what happened with your mortgage in the end?

Cheers
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • Good luck!

I'd like to be debt free by 60 too, but I am 40 with £20,000 and can't see that going down any time soon.
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Wishing you the very best of luck!
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • Good luck.
    Next - £2229.44 - 29/09/2019
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hey Socks

Good luck with the debt free push. I was just reading some of your old threads and was wondering what happened with your mortgage in the end?

Cheers

Hi Unicorn, Thankfully it went through smoothly. We had an appointment with Nationwide and laid our cards on the table and we were offered a 10 year fixed rate at 2.79%. Our monthly mortgage payments went down to £439.80 but, when we can, we still pay what we were paying before (£527). Since January we have overpaid by £842 and our current balance is £48,924. In these first 8 months we have paid off £4006.40 but paid out £917.68 in interest. I'm hoping the mortgage will be paid off within the 10 year fixed rate period.

It's hard talking about my personal debts around my husband (as you might have read in my previous posts, he is in debt management with Stepchange) so I just want to sort out my personal debt and, hopefully, I'm on track. I find it hard that as a couple we are in this hard place with his debt because of his mental health but I'm pleased his credit rating is so low he can't make it any worse.

The forms for my M&S 0% for 28 months balance transfer credit card application which I was approved, for came in the post on
    Saturday and went back in the post on Saturday. I don't see my personal debt as 'bad' as such, but any debt I/we have means it feels wrong to have money to spend on 'us'.

Saying all that, I have booked us on a coach holiday with Shearings! :j
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • jools1985
    jools1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    Good luck. it sounds like you have a good plan in place.
  • Hey Socks

Am so glad your mortgage got sorted out. One less big thing to worry about! I hope the DMP hasn't got too long to go.

Enjoy you coach holiday :)
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure