Car Hire company charged us for insurance when we already had paid for it

We booked and paid for car hire through a broker (DoYouSpain) and paid for their full insurance package so that we would not have to pay again or leave the hefty credit card fee when we collected the car. When we collected the car we were asked for a credit card this was the only time they spoke to us as their English was very limited - we were told so it was held but no money to be taken - we get home and find money was taken . we have contacted them and they say we signed to agree to an extra insurance being taken. We explained we did not as there was no mention of an insurance as we showed them the certificate already purchased from their broker and the only thing we signed was for the car, they have now stopped replying - what can we do? Surely this is theft?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Showing the insurance purchased from the broker was of no interest to the hire firm, and it does not remove the requirement of leaving a deposit or preauthorisation on your card for the excess.

Money was taken for what? Did you sign to agree purchase of their extra insurance, or not?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • no, we told them we already had the full insurance so did not need any extra insurance from them. They say they took more money for another insurance and they say we agreed to it but they did not even ask us about it.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You were scammed. I suspect you didn't read every single piece of info against which you signed.

The car hire industry works like this (sadly) so they can offer low headline rates.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    no, we told them we already had the full insurance so did not need any extra insurance from them. They say they took more money for another insurance and they say we agreed to it but they did not even ask us about it.
    But did you sign acceptance for it? Check your contract. If not, your might ask your card provider for a chargeback.

Who is the hire firm, Goldcar?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • it was a company called Orlando, they were the only ones that rented close enough to our hotel for us to collect.
    We could not read the paperwork they gave us either as they only gave it to us in Spanish so yes I assume we were scammed but how do we go about getting the money back - is a chargeback our best and only option?
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    it was a company called Orlando, they were the only ones that rented close enough to our hotel for us to collect.
    We could not read the paperwork they gave us either as they only gave it to us in Spanish so yes I assume we were scammed but how do we go about getting the money back - is a chargeback our best and only option?

If you signed the paperwork it will be difficult to get the money back. The onus is on you to understand what you are signing.

You could have translated with a smartphone well enough to understand that insurance was being offered.

You'll have to chalk this one up to experience I'm afraid.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If you paid by credit card, take it up with the card provider. If the company is known for this sort of behaviour they may already be known to the CC company.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    cubegame wrote: »
    You were scammed. I suspect you didn't read every single piece of info against which you signed.

The car hire industry works like this (sadly) so they can offer low headline rates.

No. They were not scammed. They simply assumed that they would not have to leave a deposit. So when they refused to pay a deposit, the option was full insurance from the car hirer or no car.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If you paid by credit card, take it up with the card provider. If the company is known for this sort of behaviour they may already be known to the CC company.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. It's all down to the OP not taking note of the T&C of the policy they purchased from DoYouSpain.
  • The company I work for deal with this company on a regular basis and they make it very clear that you must pay a deposit in the name of the main driver.

Regardless of this fact I am sure they added the insurance by the sounds of your post. If you signed for the charges you’ll be hard pressed to reclaim these
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure