Advice needed - Credit card fraudulent payments claim - disputed by bank

Hi there

I am looking for some advice on a credit card fraud that has taken place on my credit card.

I was in Benidorm 3 weeks ago, and on my return to UK I noticed that multiple transactions totalling over £5,000 were authorised on my credit card. These were via chip & pin, taking place in a strip club.

I am convinced that my drink must have been spiked in this bar as my last memory was being in a different (normal) bar close by. I don’t remember using my chip and pin within the strip bar, and there is no way that I would’ve approved payments equating to this amount (I am not that rich!). However, the bank is stating that because I do not remember the transactions, there is no evidence that I did not agree to them, as a result, they have declined my fraud claim, so I am currently responsible to pay for the full amount.

I have found various reports in forums online that have mentioned people losing considerable amounts of money in this particular bar in Benidorm. I have notified the Benidorm police, however they mentioned that I must take up with UK police now that I’m back in the UK. I have done so, and also contacted Action Fraud who provided me a crime reference number which i supplied tot the bank.

I usually receive a text message from the bank stating that a large / suspicious transaction has taken place on my account, my card is then blocked automatically and I need to respond via text to authorise. This did not happen on this occasion – had it done so then this also would have prevented these transactions going through.

I am disappointed that the bank also won’t acknowledge that these kinds of payments are completely out of character with my usual spending patterns using the card (I’ve had the credit card for 11 years).

I am appealing against the above on these grounds as at present these costs represent an unaffordable loss that could’ve been prevented with the correct support from the bank.

Can anyone offer advice on consumer rights in terms of not being notified of suspicious transactions taking place on your account?

Thanks

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A bank doesn't have any obligation to act as a safety net in the way you seem to feel they should, so there isn't any mileage in trying to claim that they have any liability for not stopping the transactions, even if their definition of large/suspicious coincided with yours (and of course they won't disclose their criteria for such interventions anyway).

Did you still have your card in your possession after this?
  • JBKSTN
    JBKSTN Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, I still had my card on me after this, it was only when I got back to the UK that I noticed the transactions.

So an amount of money this large, in the space of a few hours in a foreign country, that is not in line with any precious spending patterns over 11 years would not be deemed as suspicious to a bank?
  • JBKSTN
    JBKSTN Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, I still had my card on me after this, it was only when I got back to the UK that I noticed the transactions.

So an amount of money this large, in the space of a few hours in a foreign country, that is not in line with any precious spending patterns over 11 years would not be deemed as suspicious to a bank?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    With a chip and pin authorisation I would say your chances are non existant. You have no 'consumer rights' in respect of the bank sending you a text message. In fact in all my years of spending on a credit card I have never had a transaction blocked.

The bank isn't going to pay for your lap dances because you think your drink was spiked.
  • It's quite typical thing in strip clubs, also in UK and other countries in Europe. Large bills that customer didn't authorise or doesn't remember making. I'm sure you will find more on internet.

So, strip club = cash only for your safety.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Did you use the card in the "normal" bar? Could someone have seen you enter your PIN, do you enter it in an obvious way that anyone looking could see or do you shield it?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,785 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    JBKSTN wrote: »

Banks can't really win on this one - take them as fraudulent and block the card and the card issuer then faces the possibility of being castigated for ruining a guys once in a life time stag do abroad after having saved up for eleven years for it...... (cue sad compo face pictures in local rag)
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    common scam in strip clubs. In some eastern european countries it is common to be presented with some huge bill for drinks and then "persuaded" to pay up by the local heavies or get thrown in the Danube (*not based on a real life example of course)
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Fraud systems do not work on your spending patterns. They work on known fraud spending patterns.
    Also why decline a PIN transaction.

Happens quite a bit. If you think your drink was spiked (now) did you not feel strange straight after?
    I have spoken to strip club managers and got them to check the CCTV. They always say "Ah a case of remorseful fraud"
    Had a good time, bought the girls a few drinks, remember that bottle of champagne you bought them....:eek:
    Never cheap...

TBH, you will most likely get nowhere, even if you raise a complaint. As you were there. Only think you are spiked once back in the UK when checking your account.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am convinced that my drink must have been spiked in this bar as my last memory was being in a different (normal) bar close by. I don’t remember using my chip and pin within the strip bar, and there is no way that I would’ve approved payments equating to this amount (I am not that rich!).

What did you bank say when you provided them the medical evidence and police report?

You have neither? Oh dear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport