Selling Resources on TES

I'm sure that this has probably come up before but I thought it would mention it.

After a return to teaching, I discovered that it is possible to buy and sell teaching resources on the (TES) Times Educational Supplement website for between £1 (for a worksheet) to £12 (for a whole scheme of work.) You can claim the money once you reach £10 in Sales.

I have no idea whether in reality there is much money to be made from this but the one resource that I had put up when they were free was downloaded 270 times in the last few years, so that could have been a fair bit of money.

It also seems quite a positive way of making money:
I put up a resource that I would have had to create anyway, so it's not wasted effort even if it doesn't sell.
A teacher stuck for ideas/time (been there myself lots) gets a resource without the stress of making it
I can use the website myself for purchases of resources when I need them too

And if any do sell then I've made a little extra cash!

It's early days but I shall let you know how it goes.

Comments

• mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would be interested in whether this has been successful for you, I am an FE teacher though resources transcend all levels.

My guess is really, given that we would be using the resources for our day to day job, the only actual outlay in resource we would have is the time taken to list the item.

I have created and sold courses through Udemy, but the timesink there is much larger then this would be (I guess the prospective audience is also much larger, mind)
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • Graham1982
    Graham1982 Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi:

I have put some good resources on TES some for free and some for sale. I did this a couple of months ago and made my first sale of circa £1.90 the other day.

Friends tell me they have made £90 or so in a week (I think that is possibly exaggerating) so I would say, yes you can make money as I have. How much is debatable.

Thanks
    Graham
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Graham1982 wrote: »
    Hi:

I have put some good resources on TES some for free and some for sale. I did this a couple of months ago and made my first sale of circa £1.90 the other day.

Friends tell me they have made £90 or so in a week (I think that is possibly exaggerating) so I would say, yes you can make money as I have. How much is debatable.

Thanks
    Graham

I guess much will depend on demand too - subjects like Maths/English etc are probably swamped with resources. My subject (Comp Sci) is relatively new and with a much smaller core of (highly qualified - plenty of failed maths teachers try it) teachers and therefore I would imagine fewer resources.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • a51_ufo
    a51_ufo Posts: 93 Forumite
    Hi,

I've started going through and putting some of my resources for sale. Like you said, I'm making them anyway so why not try it! I put five resources up January this year and I've been adding a few a month since. Just counted and I have 29 resources for sale at the moment. I mainly sell worksheets at £2 each and I've had 104 sales to date, September being my biggest sale month so far at 19 sales. I haven't withdrawn any yet, I'm leaving it build up to withdrawn nearer Christmas.

The Authors forum is worth a look - not very busy but the TES team put up the top 10 weekly search trends. I have had very few reviews though, people just don't seem to bother!

I've also put a few resources on TpT where a get 2/3 sales a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure