Complaint for Visa and Halifax

Comments

• HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Another major difference I found is that it's not free to withdraw money from ATM!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Another major difference I found is that it's not free to withdraw money from ATM!

Well done your read the terms and conditions.

Or at least I hope you did before doing something that silly.
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Well, that's because you're not withdrawing from your current account but instead from a credit facility which typically carries a cash advance fee. (And you don't need additional protection for cash withdrawal..unless you're planning to de-fraud yourself).

Some convenience ATMs will also charge for both debit and credit card ATMs.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hello!

I have made a couple of transactions with some dodgy merchants. While legitimate companies are happy to refund you if you are not happy, these will do whatever it takes so that you don't get a refund, even though their products/services are crap.

Halifax particularly has been extremely unhelpful when pursuing a refund on your debit card. You are pretty much left alone and they often blame Visa's terms and conditions.

In contrast, Paypal or Amazon (not Ebay), have been extremely supportive to unhappy customers.

Is there a bank and debit card that can offer a service on par with Paypal in terms of refunds?

I am far from a scammer consumer who rips off businesses, but at the same time, I don't want to feel like an idiot for paying and receiving crap, with no chance of refund.

Thanks!

The sort of protection you want is called "insurance" and comes with American Express credit cards, for in instance, American Express Preferred Rewards Gold does have it. It is not so widely accepted as Visa/Mastercard, but does offer a piece of mind in case something you bought turned out to be a crap.

In addition, whenever you buy something online, there is a 14 days return period, which should be enough to find out that the goods are not as good as the seller claimed.

As for the tube/takeaways - I doubt you can get a refund from them anyway (unless a takeaway meal made you sick).
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Stop buying from dodgy traders is the obvious answer.
  • Space_Orbit
    Space_Orbit Posts: 25 Forumite
    In the past I have worked for a bank processing charge backs.

They have to abide by lengthy Visa/Mastercard regulations - they are very clear but can be open to a little interpretaion.

A chargeback is seen as a last resort when a customer has failed to resolve an issue themselves. It would be very unusual to see more than one or two chargeback requests on an account every 4 or 5 years.

Between me and my partner we have only requested a total of 2 in the past 15-20 years.

In my experience requesting several chargebacks was highly likely to be reported/detected by the bank's fraud team (and possibly be picked up by Visa/Mastercard).

It could show, at best, you are a risk to the bank - e.g if you are not receiving goods, how sure can the bank be that you will receive a replacement card etc. or if, as your post suggests you continue to use questionable websites, it shows little concern for cyber security. Or at worst, particularly if several merchants dispute the chargebacks, then you would be seen as a potential scammer.

You could find your account restricted/ closed and potentially a CIFAS marker on your credit file depending on the scale of the issue.

As previous posters have said the answer is to only buy from reputable websites - I can't understand why you would want the hassle of thinking you might have to request a chargeback.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,215 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well of course you wouldn't use a credit card for that (within the UK). The credit card is for making transactions with "dodgy mechants" where you might need to dispute them if you don't receive the goods. If you don't receive your cash at a cashpoint that's a whole different process to go through and is not subject to the difficulties you've experienced with your dodgy online shopping.

Halifax tends to issue Mastercard credit cards and in my experience are a lot more helpful when getting involved in disputes. They have a vested interest in you spending on your credit card as much a possible, whereas debit card spending in general is less lucrative and there is less incentive to step in. But as others have said, disputes should be pretty rare - you'd maybe have one or two in a decade.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Of course Amazon and Paypal work differently. They have a relationship and an agreement with the seller. Visa and Halifax don't.

As others have said, don't use dodgy sellers. Take some responsibility rather than expecting to be bailed out.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Can I use a credit card to completely replace my debit card?
    Ie, I can use it at the takeaway, tube, online, etc?

S75 protection only kicks in where the total cost of the item/service is at least £100. How often does your tube journey cost that?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,215 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pun wrote: »
    S75 protection only kicks in where the total cost of the item/service is at least £100. How often does your tube journey cost that?
    A lot of claims on credit cards are chargeback claims.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure