Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi al , its been bit manic lately I hope you are well 😀

I did go and buy the hudl2 yesterday as we spoke to the guy who fixed the iPad and he thinks the new part for it will be dearer than replacing it :mad: he is still taking it to look at though. The hudl was £129 and its actually fantastic,I wish I'd bought it first! Its not coming out of the £200 budget but will be a birthday present as I know lots of family have already said they are giving me money for my 40th (even though I did of course say I don't need any gifts).
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Newgirly, does it do everything the ipad does. We will be on the lookout for a new tablet in the future. Hope you are having a relaxing weekend,everything sounds busy and complicated with the business.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • newgirly
    Eek, don't know cath :o I only used the spending app and surfed the net on the iPad so am not the best person to advise! But eveything apple seems to cost a lot to replace even a fake charger was £15 last time so I'm Hoping with my track record this will be cheaper :D its smaller and easier to hold and doesn't seem as delicate, have a look at on line reviews it seems to be quite positive.
    They are doing club card boost so you can double up at the moment if you have vouchers.

Its 5\2 weight in day tomorrow and I have had a week of eating a lot on the 5days so I'm quite interested to see if it's worked at all.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Oops not posted for a few days again, as its half term I've being starting work very early so I can get back for the kids (although at 14 \14\17 I don't really need to !)

I've £16 left from the £200 budget, so will defiantly go over by Tues when it ends. It's still way less than usual so I'm claiming it as a success :) saying that I will be spending some of the money I have put by for DDS 18th soon as she is booking a five night holiday abroad with friends and I said we will pay. I've found a good deal for £234 all inclusive incl.flights to Ibiza in June in a lovely hotel on the beach but close to town.

I'm also torn as to whether to go over the planned budget and buy some theatre tickets , she wants to see les mis and Charlie and the chocolate factory, plus I spotted elf too. Not sure which one to pick if I do anyway !

The budget was £500 originally ,a lot but she is pretty independent and works part time paying for everything she gets herself, so want to treat her, does it sound like I am trying to justify it :rotfl:

We have had the factory valued for the short term loan company and already its come out a lot higher than we are paying , could be good news or bad as if the landlord is selling the whole estate as one and we are one of the only two renters , he may not want the hassle of selling elsewhere or may see it's gone up by 50k and up the price (which means we can't buy and get chucked out in two years as we have no right to renew and there are no affordable units anywhere even vaguely nearby)

Anyway, the focus is us getting into the safest financial position personally and with the business. Wages have been cut by 5 % and we may have to do another 5% in a few months if things don't improve. Its been awful but most of the staff have been good about it, they trust dh and as soon as possible wages will go up. When he took over five years ago he put wages up to a more fair rate for everyone and cut the new pay and pension he should have received for this new role.

Personally the challenge is to clear the 0% cards by June, then try and clear the mortgage by the end of term as we don't pass affordability to extend it if we need to (nor to change to repayment from io!) So some will have to be saved and played off at the end of the rate deal period I guess. Lots of pressure all round really.
  • newgirly
    Roll on payday Tuesday :) I need to check but have gone over the £200 budget.

Feeling fed up at the Moment as work and home are both quite stressful. So am throwing myself into the finances today :

To do list:

Check all cc balances
    Reconcile bank accounts
    See how much savings and premium bonds we have
    Budget for rest of the year
    Set varying budgets for each month depending on time of year
    (Ie feb is easier to reduce than dec!)
    Go on the mortgage calculator and scare myself with what we will have to pay monthly when the cc's are done with.
    Try and do an alternative budget for if our pay Is cut by another5% in June :eek:

That's it other than shed loads of washing :)
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I hear you on the washing!
  • Hi new girly..I haven't posted in ages but do read regularly. Reading your post above about the finances...I would put any spare money you have to debt or mortgage or savings. A holiday abroad is a great 18th present so don't beat yourself up about the theatre tickets...maybe other people will also give her money and she can you that to buy them.
    You will be a whole lot less stressed when your finances are in better shape...long term stress like that is so bad for your health. Take care xo
    Credit card £4461.15Home mortgage £137117Buy to let mortgage £83,000
  • newgirly
    Hi WABL, thanks for popping and and your lovely kind words :) I have listened and am holding off buying more stuff. It helped after I went through our finances for the year :eek: I shall post all the details tonight after work as I've not quite finished the budget.

I've had a pretty horrid weekend, dh has been pretty unpleasant to everyone which is out of character, I think it's related to stress as he had a mini breakdown for a few weeks a couple of years ago, which was triggered by work stress. He can't see the connection though at the moment, I guess we will see as the week goes on.

Back to work today, yuk! I have penciled in next week off as its my 40th next Monday but I will play it by ear , although it's quite tempting to leave it as it as right now :rotfl:
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    It certainly sounds rather intense, all the things that are going on.

Look after yourselves
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Take a few days off ng for your birthday :) you deserve it and see how little you can do for a change

I hope your dh perks up soon and the stress reduces
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport