90 day Insurance 4 work as COWGIRL, USA

My 18 yr old daughter is flying out to Montana soon, to work on a ranch. Her chores are many and varied and include horse riding amongst other things.
What is the best insurance for her to take out.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

Comments

• PolishBigSpender
    PolishBigSpender Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    First things first, does she have the appropriate visa for letting her work in the United States? If she's working there under the visa waiver - then if it's discovered, not only does she risk being barred from re-entry into the US, but her insurance is also likely to be invalidated. I would assume that in the event of any claim for a work related accident, they would want to see proof of legal status.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
    books are lying on the floor.
    The books are sitting just there on the floor.
  • sturll
    sturll Posts: 2,582 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 May 2009 at 7:56AM
    Sorry.

Again.
  • PFMarconi
    PFMarconi Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks PBS,

She is indeed entering under visa waiver.
    The ranch that she'll be staying at will not be paying her a wage, if that makes any difference. Any money she makes will be tips from the holiday guests staying there.

I don't suppose that changes anything?

Thanks for your help.
    Paul
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No really...
    this is what you are legally allowed to do under the VWP

-
    • Visit friends and relatives, touring or vacationing, visits for rest

• Visit for medical treatment

• Participate in conventions, conferences or convocation of fraternal or social organizations

• Participate in sports, musical, and other events or contests, if you are an amateur who will receive no money or other renumeration in return
    --

now obviously, even there is no pay, there are tips, which is renumeration..

also, if the government find out, she's deported, not allowed back into the US, or she could be turned away at the airport..

M
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't believe that she thought it would be alright to go to the States to work (because that is what she is doing) without the proper visa. Mad
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • PFMarconi
    PFMarconi Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for your detailed reply M. This was exactly the type of reply I was looking for when I orginally posted the question.
    Thanks again.

As for S - you're an !!!. Your reply was pointless and made about an 18 yr old you know nothing about. Save yourself time and others annoyance by making your comments constructive.

PFM
  • WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    markymoo is correct...she will technically be working in the USA illegally, and if she is caught, there will be serious consequences, as the government has started cracking down on illegal workers in the last few years. Even though she's not getting a set wage, she will still be earning money. If I were her I'd seriously reconsider whether it's worth it...she can still try and apply for a J-1 visa to allow her to work legally, but I suspect it's a bit late now.
  • PolishBigSpender
    PFMarconi wrote: »
    Thanks PBS,

She is indeed entering under visa waiver.
    The ranch that she'll be staying at will not be paying her a wage, if that makes any difference. Any money she makes will be tips from the holiday guests staying there.

I don't suppose that changes anything?

Thanks for your help.
    Paul

Sadly, no. The fact that she's working for tips doesn't change anything - it would still be seen as paid renumeration, and the United States are ridiculously strict when it comes to this kind of thing. Bear in mind that she also has to gain admission to the United States - the visa waiver doesn't mean that you're exempt from control. I suspect that if an individual officer grills her and finds out that she's working at such a ranch, she'll be denied entry to begin with.

Given the huge costs of repatriating someone that isn't covered, combined with the likely high cost of insurance anyway (such work is likely to be seen as high risk activity) and the fact that she'll be breaching immigration requirements in the United States, I would strongly, strongly advise against her going on this trip.

Bear in mind that if the place in question is willing to employ her without a visa - then they must be running a somewhat dodgy operation to begin with.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,520 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2009 at 10:10AM
    PFMarconi wrote: »
    Many thanks for your detailed reply M. This was exactly the type of reply I was looking for when I orginally posted the question.
    Thanks again.

As for S - you're an !!!. Your reply was pointless and made about an 18 yr old you know nothing about. Save yourself time and others annoyance by making your comments constructive.

PFM
    I would learn to take peoples comments and let them wash over you if you plan on staying on here for long. You will get a lot of my type of remark.:rolleyes:
    Don't know about your 18 year old, but mine knows it's illegal to roll up into a foreign country and try to work, as I expect most others do. Even if she didn't, you should have.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • PolishBigSpender
    dontdoit wrote: »
    Also, staying for the maximum 90 days on the VWP is NOT reommended.

Too many things can go wrong, like plane delays, or missed connections, that may lead to being there for over 90 days, and thus making you unable to use the VWP in the future.

To be fair on the United States, they're not that harsh. If you were leaving bang on the 90 day limit and your flight was delayed/connection was missed, I'm fairly positive that immigration in the departure airport would sort it out for you.
    From Poland...with love.

They are (they're)
    sitting on the floor.
    Their
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure