TV Licence article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In mid-2018 I rang up and removed the TV option from my Virgin Media bundle, leaving just the telephone and internet in place. So currently I have no way of viewing any TV, as it is so old it lacks Freeview capability. The VM box is unplugged and unable to be used either. That leaves the internet as the only option to view content, but I have removed all my TV related bookmarks and do not visit the sites at all.

Perfect............
  • Dibdab01
    Options
    I'm currently getting Phonecalls, Emails, voicemail and Texts by them. I recently reported to them my Mother passed away and despite Telling them over the Phone on numerous occasions, aswell as forwarding a copy of Her death certificate to them they still persist.

I have asked them repeatedly to remove My Mother's details etc, but they still have not done this even though they keep saying they will and have. At the same time I declared that I have moved from the Property and do not require a Licence.

Yet they still insist on calling me asking me to speak to my Mother?? As if its like some sick Office Game they are playing.

I have no words that can do justice to adequately describe these people and their Bullying tactics. Trying to make you pay for Services, you don't need, use or want.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Dibdab01 wrote: »
    I'm currently getting Phonecalls, Emails, voicemail and Texts by them. I recently reported to them my Mother passed away and despite Telling them over the Phone on numerous occasions, aswell as forwarding a copy of Her death certificate to them they still persist.

I have asked them repeatedly to remove My Mother's details etc, but they still have not done this even though they keep saying they will and have. At the same time I declared that I have moved from the Property and do not require a Licence.

Yet they still insist on calling me asking me to speak to my Mother?? As if its like some sick Office Game they are playing.

I have no words that can do justice to adequately describe these people and their Bullying tactics. Trying to make you pay for Services, you don't need, use or want.

Sadly, this seems to be a relatively common experience with TV Licensing. Something in their procedures seems to mess things up when dealing with these notifications despite the need to handle them with sensitivity.

I think part of their problem is that an empty property becomes "eligible" for enforcement action.

If you have already exhausted your tolerance for them messing you around, I'd suggest escalating it using the details provided in the link below (I'd start with Stage 1b). If that doesn't resolve things, then maybe contact your MP.

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/making-a-complaint-AB7
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Received a letter today from TVL explaining that an "IN01H5A3" code has been issued against my property. Whatever that is! It goes on to say that they use it to target unlicensed homes like mine.

If I want to remove it I have to buy a licence. What complete BS. :rotfl:
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Received a letter today from TVL explaining that an "IN01H5A3" code has been issued against my property. Whatever that is! It goes on to say that they use it to target unlicensed homes like mine.

If I want to remove it I have to buy a licence. What complete BS. :rotfl:

They are hilarious.

I hope you have informed your property that it now has this code, perhaps bury the letter inside the plasterwork.

The only hit on google is this very post so don't expect to be raided soon. I think the lovely souls at the TVL work on these codes specially, probably means "I know noone has a licence"
  • Cornucopia
    edited 12 May 2019 at 9:49AM
    Options
    Yes - this appears to be the latest ruse in the grand psychodrama that is TV Licensing.

As before, they believe that this "code" will somehow persuade people of the reality and effectiveness of TVL when the evidence is that large elements of it are fake, and the rest lacks legal and practical credibility. It does make me wonder whether some of the misadventures of TVL are directly related to the theatricality of the BBC.

See also... fake names/signatures, "are you in on...", misinformation over legal rights, fake rubber stamp imprints, etc. etc.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My home is located in a neighbourhood watch area and is also a designated BSFZ. Any unwanted callers may be subjected to blunt responses and could be offered the option to be severely castigated.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    They are hilarious.

I hope you have informed your property that it now has this code, perhaps bury the letter inside the plasterwork.

The only hit on google is this very post so don't expect to be raided soon. I think the lovely souls at the TVL work on these codes specially, probably means "I know noone has a licence"

First thing I did was google the code but nothing came up. I'm not sure if it's a computer mistake and it's supposed to read something else, or if indeed it is supposed to be that. :rotfl:
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    It's a classic MacGuffin.
    The MacGuffin's importance to the plot is not the object itself, but rather its effect on the characters and their motivations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Yes - this appears to be the latest ruse in the grand psychodrama that is TV Licensing.

But we knew in the 70s and 80s their vans had no detection technology. Would love to have been shown around the back of one -"yes here is where we plug our ciggie lighter in, that's the most advanced technology we have"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback