Saving for my first bricks and mortar...

Options

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This weeks food bill was just short of £16 :)

I started the week with £16 in my purse, ended with £2.79. This week hasn't been a cheap one thanks to bills that needed paying but I they were budgeted for anyway. I've got £16 in my purse for this week too - what is it with 16 this week?!

I worked out yesterday that in the 8 weeks that I've been doing this, I've not spent £120 in the work canteen or shop on the way to work :j
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on saving so much money!!!! You inspired me to save on my grocery shop last week too.

Enjoy your £16!!!!!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    Mr Butcher had an offer on chicken breasts this weeks, £25 for 5kg and they are amazing - none of this injecting them with water to plump them up :D Misery Guts bought those this week so I'm not counting them in this weeks costs :rotfl: . There were 23 huge pieces and probably about as many little fillets. We can quite often get a meal for two out of one breast so there are loads of meals there for us :D

We've also started bring stuff home from the allotment :j today was garlic, mint and gooseberries. I'll make some rhubarb and gooseberry crumbles to freeze. I quite like having a dessert as my evening meal :) I'm still using just years garlic so I'm saving a few quid not having to buy any. Not long until I won't have to buy potatoes :j
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• savingwannabe
    Options
    This is so healthy and really good for the budget. I wish I had known all this when I was younger. I dread to think how much I wasted on meals out and convenience foods. I could have retired by now!!!!

Weather is lovely here. Hope it is nice by you too. :beer:

If you aren't a queen you can be the Princess of the thread.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    This is so healthy and really good for the budget. I wish I had known all this when I was younger. I dread to think how much I wasted on meals out and convenience foods. I could have retired by now!!!!

Weather is lovely here. Hope it is nice by you too. :beer:

If you aren't a queen you can be the Princess of the thread.

That's really lovely of you to say, thank you :) title of thread princess gratefully accepted :rotfl:

i wish I'd known all this too. So much I'd tell my 18 year old self!

• Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Dizzy, nice to meet you - I'm inspired by your budgeting skills :)

Re - shared ownership - mortgages etc. I'm 47 (and proud) and if it wasn't for the fact I have, shock horror, a teenager and a fabulously well paid (not) teaching job, I would have been able to take out a 'proper' mortgage until my retirement age (67 I think). So, you might be able to have a mortgage on a non shared ownership place.

Also, if you do go down the shared ownership route (which my beloved KW and I are doing in just 18 days from today :):):) ), mortgage companies offer you LESS than a mortgage on a 'real' house!

It was a bit of a shock to find that out, I can tell you - my diary is full of my woes and worries over the months, then my elation when it was finally all agreed!

I'm going to subscribe and keep finding out tips on keeping on the straight and narrow :)

KW and I want try and keep saving after moving, even though we're going to be living to a fabulous town with my DD, and will have lots of spendy temptations. We want to get a few months' worth of bills saved up and an emergency fund for things breaking.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Options
    Kittikins wrote: »
    Hi Dizzy, nice to meet you - I'm inspired by your budgeting skills :)

Re - shared ownership - mortgages etc. I'm 47 (and proud) and if it wasn't for the fact I have, shock horror, a teenager and a fabulously well paid (not) teaching job, I would have been able to take out a 'proper' mortgage until my retirement age (67 I think). So, you might be able to have a mortgage on a non shared ownership place.

Also, if you do go down the shared ownership route (which my beloved KW and I are doing in just 18 days from today :):):) ), mortgage companies offer you LESS than a mortgage on a 'real' house!

It was a bit of a shock to find that out, I can tell you - my diary is full of my woes and worries over the months, then my elation when it was finally all agreed!

I'm going to subscribe and keep finding out tips on keeping on the straight and narrow :)

KW and I want try and keep saving after moving, even though we're going to be living to a fabulous town with my DD, and will have lots of spendy temptations. We want to get a few months' worth of bills saved up and an emergency fund for things breaking.

Hi Kittikins :)

I have been slowly reading through your diary and it makes for interesting reading! There is always hope that I will be able to get a mortgage on a "proper" house but as its just my salary I think it unlikely. I have tried to speak to a mortgage adviser but they have chosen to ignore me :mad: Thats fine though because when the time comes, I know who not to go to! :rotfl:

I am still a very very long way off, but I am hoping to hit the magic £1000 mark by the end of June rather than the end of July as projected. I have a few quid due to come in from other sources this month so fingers crossed for me! Added to the total by £1 last night found on the pavement. I have been selling allotment produce in work too and at the mo, thats going in the seed fund for next year, although we already have enough seeds to last for another few years yet :rotfl:

• Kittikins
    Options
    Ooooh, an allotment, what are you growing? KW and I have one (well, he does it all as it's in his town, miles away from me, but we like to call it our allotment) and it's our first year doing it. Our radishes were woody and yuk :( but looks like we'll have lots of yummy strawberries soon!

Keep picking up the pavement cash, I call them Reverbe's after a poster on here, who always seemed to find lots of coins. (Haven't seen her around for a long time, but she'll always be in my mind when I see a penny or more on the floor!) :)

I'm a bit of a waffler I know....my diary may take a while to digest, lol
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    I don't think you waffle at all. I like your posts. ps my dad found a pound yesterday and put it into charity box. Love my dad. :j
  • Kittikins
    Options
    Aw shucks :) x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income